Fans of "New" Country Music

truth on hold

For some reason I'm on a modern/popular country kick lately ... as I don't know this genre well, the only artist I've been listening to is Darryl Worley; Keep the Change, Better Than I Deserve, Second Wind, Good Day to Run .... are the ones I know

Question: for those who know the genre better, what other songs from Worley would you recommend, and what the artists and their songs?

Thanks yáll :thumbsup:

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dierks Bentley (I've enjoyed all of his albums except I haven't been able to get into the new one yet)

Jason Aldean (Night Train album)

Eric Church (Chief album)

Kip Moore (Hey Pretty Girl)

Darius Rucker (Wagon Wheel). IMO the album sucks but the songs great. Also...

Old Crow Medicine Show does a great version of the song Wagon Wheel too that I actually like better than Ruckers version.

OCMS didn't do "a version " of wagon wheel. They are responsible for the song as a whole. It's a song that was kind of pieced together into what is now wagon wheel. Bob Dylan pretty much started the song and OCMS, 'completed' into what we hear today

Dierks Bentley (I've enjoyed all of his albums except I haven't been able to get into the new one yet)

Jason Aldean (Night Train album)

Eric Church (Chief album)

Kip Moore (Hey Pretty Girl)

Darius Rucker (Wagon Wheel). IMO the album sucks but the songs great. Also...

Old Crow Medicine Show does a great version of the song Wagon Wheel too that I actually like better than Ruckers version.

Dierks Bentley is good to move to from him

Jason Aldeans older stuff I good. New stuff is just so gdamn unlistenable.

Worley has a good song "when you need my love". It was his first song that became a hit - came out back in 99-2000 iirc.

Also, go back and find some Clint Black. See if that doesn't suit your taste. He is far superior musically to the current artists but much the same of what they are trying to emulate.

The songs you list by Worley are not new. Second wind is over 10 years old.

From Clint Black you'll likely be able to move to King George. And that will let you dive right back in to country.

Once you get a taste for country, you can slide back a couple years and listen to the good stuff!!!

Merle Haggard

Johnny Cash

Waylon Jennings

The list goes on...

Like JBoyst said... Most new stuff is crap... The songs that claim to be country that sound like rap make me want to jab something sharp in my ears!!!

If you want to expand your appreciation of country music, I recommend listening to John Anderson radio on Pandora. It provides a nice blend of older and newer country. You won't hear a whole lot that came out in the last 10 years, but unless you're into a lame pansy in a cowboy hat singing about how hot some girl is, how cold his beer is, or how he won the girl over by being the biggest "yes-man" kitty boy imaginable, you'll be glad to have it filtered out.

Edited by Rob's House

Thanks, but part of the reason I'm on the worley kick is that I'm burning a CD for a place I hang out at, and the crowd won't tolerate old traditional country. Need the new stuff like worley with more potential for popular appeal

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Thanks, but part of the reason I'm on the worley kick is that I'm burning a CD for a place I hang out at, and the crowd won't tolerate old traditional country. Need the new stuff like worley with more potential for popular appeal

Do you have iTunes, or a form of program that will allow you to download music?

If so, search:

Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Lady Antebellum, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, Little Big Town, The Band Perry, Florida Georgia Line, George Straight

I have iTunes, and on it I can search for a specific genre (country) and find out what the most popular downloads are. That would give you a good idea of what to put on the CD. There may be a few artists I've missed in the above list but if you search for their songs you should be able to come up with more than a few CD's worth of songs between them to keep everyone entertained.

OCMS didn't do "a version " of wagon wheel. They are responsible for the song as a whole. It's a song that was kind of pieced together into what is now wagon wheel. Bob Dylan pretty much started the song and OCMS, 'completed' into what we hear today

I'm aware Pooj. I just didn't feel it was necessary to go into the whole story behind the song Wagon Wheel.

id be finding a new crowd to hang out in

I'm a big OCMS fan and I just get sick and tired of people(not you) saying it's a Darius Rucker song, as far as I am concerned Darius Rucker ruined the song....but then again, I am not a country music fan to begin with.

If so, search:

Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Eric Church, Lady Antebellum, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, Little Big Town, The Band Perry, Florida Georgia Line, George Straight

I have iTunes, and on it I can search for a specific genre (country) and find out what the most popular downloads are. That would give you a good idea of what to put on the CD. There may be a few artists I've missed in the above list but if you search for their songs you should be able to come up with more than a few CD's worth of songs between them to keep everyone entertained.

I'm aware Pooj. I just didn't feel it was necessary to go into the whole story behind the song Wagon Wheel.

I'm a big OCMS fan and I just get sick and tired of people(not you) saying it's a Darius Rucker song, as far as I am concerned Darius Rucker ruined the song....but then again, I am not a country music fan to begin with.

I don't consider OCMS country to begin with. More bluegrass/folk to me. I also prefer the OCMS over Rucker.

Edited by Kevin

I think it was an unfinished Dylan song that OCMS finished and recorded, then was covered by Rucker several years later.

yeah, kind of...it was a combination of an unfinished dylan song and maybe something else...it's kind of a convoluted story...

I think it was an unfinished Dylan song that OCMS finished and recorded, then was covered by Rucker several years later.

If so, search:

Is George strait considered like the king of modern country, and is he deserving ? Seems like hes held in quite high esteem

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Is George strait considered like the king of modern country, and is he deserving ? Seems like hes held in quite high esteem

He's been around since 1980-81. I think he's the top grossing country music singer. He's popular. I'm not a big fan but I like a couple of his songs. I like more of the American folk, bluegrass music myself.