My weekend of awesome music

The Poojer

so much good music, I managed to make it for most of the major acts, I missed Lucious on Friday because of traffic, and J Roddy Walston on Sunday, because I was too lazy to get moving....

My top 5 highlights were Rodrigo y Gabriela, probably ranked #1 on my list of the weekend, WOW is pretty much the only description that does them justice, The Hold Steady, think Springsteen, Replacements and They Might Be Giants nerdiness, Lake Street Dive, their lead singer is fabulous, Trigger Hippy, Jackie Greene is amazing and Joan Osbourne is Joan Osbourne, and finally Beck, I was expecting big things from him and he exceeded expectations.

Admittedly i wasn't overly familiar with Ryan Adams, Jenny Lewis or Band of Horses but holy cow am I a big fan now. CJ Chenier really got the crowd moving. Ingrid Michaelson....yes please. Dawes, they NEVER disappoint me. James Cotton, at 80 he still delivers a hot blues set.

The great thing about this festival is that it is really good rock music being enjoyed by people my age and above as well as a nice crowd of younger folks and we all got along great...seeing my age group grooving to the music is so much fun, proves that you may not be able to avoid getting older, but you don't have to get old!

I can't wait until next year already.

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2014/07/photos_xponential_music_festival_at_the_camden_waterfront_-_day_3.html

"Funeral" by Band of Horses is one of my favorite songs. Somber, but really good. I found out about them by chance when the Sklar brothers were guest hosting the Rome show a few years back. They kept using their songs going into and coming out of commercials. Good stuff.

You got to hear some good music.

I was at FloydFest and the music was damned good, too.. My wife had her crepe mobile going and I helped out but spent the other time catching bands and talking to people. My faves were Thievery Corporation, Ray LaMontagne, Buddy Guy, Ben Harper/Charlie Musselwhite, Tauk, Ziggy Marley, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Robert Randolph, The Lee Boys, Swampcandy. and The Southern Belles. Good vibes and a great time.