Olbermann Bills/Soccer insult

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing wrong with what he said. Just jokes. If you cant take jokes, you are a fan of the wrong team.

I'm tiring of sports highlight show hosts and their mega-egos. It seems these days every highlight must be accompanied by a joke or two, a few witty double meanings regarding players names, and maybe a political comment also. Just my opinion but, when the sports personality becomes larger than the sport the show has jumped the shark. Oh, and Olbermann is a colossal D-Bag. I get the feeling he has a rather high opinion of himself.

Edited by mrwilson60

I'm tiring of sports highlight show hosts and their mega-egos. It seems these days every highlight must be accompanied by a joke or two, a few witty double meanings regarding players names, and maybe a political comment also. Just my opinion but, when the sports personality becomes larger than the sport the show has jumped the shark. Oh, and Olbermann is a colossal D-Bag. I get the feeling he has a rather high opinion of himself.

Well, he was commenting on soccer..

Watching ARG/SUI. ARG scores a goal in extra time to go up 1-0. It takes over a minute to restart the game while the clock keeps running. You would think SUI would want every second remaining to tie.

Watching ARG/SUI. ARG scores a goal in extra time to go up 1-0. It takes over a minute to restart the game while the clock keeps running. You would think SUI would want every second remaining to tie.

That stuff is insane.

Close but not quite. Most European countries have some form of national public service broadcaster based on our dear old BBC here in Britain. You pay your TV license (I think in the UK one license covers up to 4 TVs in the house) and that funds the BBC - it does not go to other free to air channels and again that is pretty much a uniform pan-European approach that the TV license covers the public service broadcaster only. The BBC has zero commercials on their channels (not just during sport but no commercials period).

The other main sports broadcasting free to air broadcaster in the UK (ITV) sell their ads during the World Cup for premium price and the World Cup is protected by law for free to air TV (so they don't have to bid huge amounts against Pay TV services for the broadcast rights). Therefore even after ITV have paid for the broadcast rights the World Cup commercials before games, after games and druing half time more than make up for the cost.

The Premier League here is not available on free to air TV... it is shown exclusively by two subscription channels and they make their money on a mixture of advertising revenues and subscriptions (and that is true across most of Europe in respect of their domestice leagues). When a subscriptions broadcaster loses live soccer their subscriptions fall through the floor. You have to remember the NFL has 16 regular season games per team and then 4 weeks of play-offs. The Premier League is a 38 game season.... so lots more games to advertise before, after and during half time of.

Very interesting info..................I don't see how US networks are going to make much money on this.