WWII Helmet

Hello Bills Fans,

I am seeking some advice or direction regarding an old military helmet. I figured TBD would be the best forum to seek advice.

Currently, I live in PR and am an avid Bills fan. I travel to the home opener and at least two other games a year. When I go to the games or to a local bar to watch the games I wear my bills "helmet" as seen in my avatar. It is an old military helmet with some Bills logos on the sides.

I picked up this gem from an antique store where the vendor told me it was from WWII. I am trying to purchase a helmet liner for it so it fits more properly. (Also, anytime the Bills score, people always slap the helmet and it is driving me nuts)

I have no military background so I am not sure how the liners exactly work or which one I should buy. There are a million on ebay, however, I don't know which one is correct and how it exactly affixes to the inside of the helmet.

Looking for any advice. Free beer at the opener for anyone who helps.

Thanks!

Are there any Army surplus stores in your area? That way you try on the liner, see if it fits. Compared with Ebay where you can't try it on.

You have just the steel "pot"? Ouch, not very comfy, I'll bet (especially when friends smack you on the head).

The M1 pot helmet was produced through Vietnam and only phased out in the 80's - odds are you have a WWII-era helmet, since most were made before 1946, but the things were so ubiquitous for about 40 years that calling it a "WWII helmet" is almost silly.

But the good news, the damn thing was so common up until 30 years ago that it should be relatively easy to find a liner for it at a surplus store or eBay. I'd advise starting with your local surplus store, at least, if you need advice on how to affix one. Just tell them you need the helmet liner for an M1 helmet shell - the liners differ slightly by era, but since it's not a true collectible (you painted it, after all), I doubt that matters much to you.

The M1 pot helmet was produced through Vietnam and only phased out in the 80's - odds are you have a WWII-era helmet, since most were made before 1946, but the things were so ubiquitous for about 40 years that calling it a "WWII helmet" is almost silly.

But the good news, the damn thing was so common up until 30 years ago that it should be relatively easy to find a liner for it at a surplus store or eBay. I'd advise starting with your local surplus store, at least, if you need advice on how to affix one. Just tell them you need the helmet liner for an M1 helmet shell - the liners differ slightly by era, but since it's not a true collectible (you painted it, after all), I doubt that matters much to you.

Do you have any military artifacts, if you do not mind me asking?