mayock, the draft, and the rise of the hyper informed fan

thought this was appropriate, it being draft weekend and all:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/the-rise-of-the-hyper-informed-football-fan/361855/

"NFL insiders tend to whisper the same general stat: that one-third of the league’s general managers have no business overseeing personnel decisions—they’re either misguided in the way they evaluate players or they don’t bother to put in the requisite research. Draft savvy, then, lets fans separate their outcomes (the success of their favored college prospects) from those of their favorite teams (the players chosen by their teams and the team’s outcome on the field); fans can timestamp their opinions and later say, 'I told you so.'

But does this kind of autonomy relieve fans’ helplessness, or does it make them feel more like pawns beholden to the real draft-day outcomes they want to control but can’t? Let’s say you’re sure, after months of research, your team should use its third-round pick on a quarterback, but the team instead drafts a punter—a punter—and the quarterback selected five slots later goes on to win a Super Bowl within two seasons. Besides a conniption, this could also give you a grudge to unleash on team executives, message board commenters, and media members who disagree with your football opinions."

Honestly, if a fan "feels helpless" or as a "pawn," that fan needs to get a life. It's a game, it's interesting, and it's supposed to be a respite from everyday doldrums. If you're treating the game and your team like that, you're out of touch. Who cares? Dissecting and reliving each and every draft and player and allowing the NFL to eat up your life is confusing to me. I come here, check for updated news, read a new thread or two and that's it. Take a step back people, holy hell. Another thread today suggested we'd all be doctors and lawyers (count me in that group) if we spent as much time on school as we did on this team, and the same could be said for society and our lives, we'd live in a better place. Imagine if the state of union address had as many viewers and we paid attention to politics and society more, then we'd really "feel helpless" and like "pawns" but at least there we have a vote. But unfortunately the average NFL fan is distracted by the shiny logo and fooled into thinking it really matters. It doesn't.

Honestly, if a fan "feels helpless" or as a "pawn," that fan needs to get a life. It's a game, it's interesting, and it's supposed to be a respite from everyday doldrums. If you're treating the game and your team like that, you're out of touch. Who cares? Dissecting and reliving each and every draft and player and allowing the NFL to eat up your life is confusing to me. I come here, check for updated news, read a new thread or two and that's it. Take a step back people, holy hell. Another thread today suggested we'd all be doctors and lawyers (count me in that group) if we spent as much time on school as we did on this team, and the same could be said for society and our lives, we'd live in a better place. Imagine if the state of union address had as many viewers and we paid attention to politics and society more, then we'd really "feel helpless" and like "pawns" but at least there we have a vote. But unfortunately the average NFL fan is distracted by the shiny logo and fooled into thinking it really matters. It doesn't.

Do you think that by using the word "helpless" it's referring to all phases of a fan's life or simply in regards to attitudes toward their favorite football team? I think you just over thought the whole article.

The "helplessness" of watching Dick Jauron draft Aaron Maybin was pretty much the emotional equivalent of watching Drew Bledsoe fumble away our playoff chances Week 17 against Pittsburgh in 2004.

All true and well stated. That said - Go Bills!