I Would Be Ok With Just 4 Picks In The Draft

Yes I know this is one of the "deepest" drafts as far as talent blah blah blah in recent years. But honestly, if we can get 4 starters on the team through the draft, why not go for it? Now I'm no genius when it comes to the whole, what it would cost to trade up or trade down numbers that a couple of you guys know by heart but, I have a few scenarios of how it could be played.

First, I believe we have 6 picks this year (1 pick in each of the first 5 rounds and a 7th round pick).

If we stay at #9, pick our pick, also do that with our 2nd and 3rd round picks, then I believe we can trade back into the 3rd by giving up our 4th, 5th and 7th round pick of this year (I'm not sure).

If we trade down a couple spots, we will have the 1st round pick of whichever team we traded with plus their 2nd round pick (and here's where it can go many different ways). We can either use those two draft picks in the 2nd round and make our pick, then trade back into the 2nd by giving up our 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th round picks, or, we can trade back into the 1st by giving up both 2nd round picks plus our 7th and still have a 3rd and 4th round pick (also not sure if the draft point system works for this scenario).

If we trade up, then I believe we will lose our 2nd,3rd and maybe a 7th round pick, including our #9 spot obviously, which will leave us only with a 4th and 5th round pick, so I think trading up is not beneficial for us WHATSOEVER.

I like the trading down scenario I came up with where we can end up having a later 1st round pick and 3 2nd round picks and our draft being over with just that.

I know you guys want depth in many positions and I understand that, but if even half of those 4 picks we pick become starters for the next 10 years, we won't have to worry about that position for a very long time.

What say you?

i kinda like it, especially if the doomsday scenario unfolds (all 3 tackles, clowney, mack, watkins, evans and ebron all gone in the first 8 picks). with your plan we could conceivably pick up four solid starters to help solidify the team. and while missing out on some late rounders, you always have UDFAs and camp cuts.

I am with you that I am okay without using all 6 picks but I have a feeling that the Bills are going to go the other way in the 1st. I will give you another scenario to land 4 starters. Something like their 1st & 3rd to the Raiders for 5. At 5 they will be drafting Watkins if he is there and if not Evans would be my guess. In the 2nd they can land their RT (Bitonio, Kuondijo, James, Moses). The 4th round pick can be used on Cyril Richardson the LG from Baylor. He is a guy that has dropped some this offseason but someone that I think would be a mauler between Glenn & Wood. The 5th rounder on a RB (take your pick of the best available). After that pick you do what you need to secure Colt Lyerla. If you have to trade up using your 7th & next years 5th or 6th go for it. If you can get him with your 7th even better.

The draft would end something like this in my scenario:

- Evans (think Watkins will be gone)

- Ja'Waun James

- Cyril Richardson

- Lache Seastrunk

- Colt Lyerla

@ swnybillsfan - Well I highly doubt that doomsday scenario will happen with the 1st 8 picks lol, but it's more likely to happen if we trade TOO far back, say like the 21st or 22nd pick. Then your statement will still be on point and I completely agree.

If say it did happen that way and we only had 4 picks this year (one in the 1st and three in the 2nd round), which positions would you draft? I would go Ebron in the 1st (only if he's there), then I would go Tackle, WR and LB/DE.

@Kirby Jackson - I like it. I like it a lot actually. At least the first two picks that is. Cyril doesn't intrigue me much and instead of RB, I would go defensive player. Either LB or DE. But the first two picks are starters all the way. It also depends on if the point system actually works for your scenario. I believe it will cost more than our 1st and 3rd round pick to move up 4 spots in the 1st round.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Only 11% of 4 th rounders end up starting in the league, and less in the later rounds. With that said, great FO find jewels in the late rounds.

I couldn't agree more we need 4 starters. I'm fine with giving away our 5th and 7th rounds to trade up in some way to get better picks. As we all know we need a RT, WR or TE, G, and a DE.

If we hit on these 4 spots, and then get super aggressive in the undrafted free agents, we could make a vast improve,ent this year. I want to believe this is the year we go 10-6 and make the playoffs in a wildcard. I'm so desperate, I'd even accept going one and done in the playoffs. Just to make it. As long as it is not to the Pats.

I agree. We DO seem to find a way (at least recently) to bring in some intriguing UDFA/camp cuts but very few contribute/make the 53 man roster. I just wanna solidify starters through the draft with the first couple of rounds where the percentage rate of them contributing and being good/great players is a higher probability as you said.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz