The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy??

http://news.yahoo.co...-111300623.html

This is not a push back against renewable energy. How exactly are people with solar panels ultimately doing utility companies a service? The utilities have to pay them. They receive less revenue from solar users and are forced to allow solar users to use the transmission lines that the utility companies bought and are responsible for repairing when outages occur. Its not like Solar Joe is required to go out and fix neighborhood lines or to pay the linesman when an outage occurs....

Edited by tomato can

They should tax these "greenies". Let them get off the grid if they do not like it. Why do you get taxed for the rain?

If you've got above a certain percentage of your lot paved, you have to pay a tax for having too much water runoff when it rains, since the runoff pollutes the Chesapeake Bay.

Of course, the extra pavement in our yard is because the county paved the easement for the storm drain - yes, we have a storm drain, so we don't have excess runoff, but we get taxed for it anyway...because of the county's easement.

It's the way of the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland: in lieu of sound policy, just levy a tax. Have to pay a licensing fee to change a light bulb too, theoretically.

If you've got above a certain percentage of your lot paved, you have to pay a tax for having too much water runoff when it rains, since the runoff pollutes the Chesapeake Bay.

Of course, the extra pavement in our yard is because the county paved the easement for the storm drain - yes, we have a storm drain, so we don't have excess runoff, but we get taxed for it anyway...because of the county's easement.

It's the way of the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland: in lieu of sound policy, just levy a tax. Have to pay a licensing fee to change a light bulb too, theoretically.

That is just ricidulous. How does this rain tax prevent pollutants from running into the Chesapeake Bay??? Maybe they should just rip up all sidewalks, driveways, and paved streets and parking lots.....

When I am at Home Depot, i practically get raped by the Solar Energy company reps who tell me that Xcel is picking my pocket-

They ask why would you not do Solar Panel, they are no cost to you!!! I once stopped and argued, they are not of no cost to me- they cost me tax dollars from my bi-weekly withholdings on my income taxes, or some other tax levied by the government, and then that money is funneled into pet energy projects by politicians.

So people get free solar panels, then think they will not pay for it somewhere down the line... lol... also, how many of these people are off the grid- very few, they still depend on Xcel and their reliable NG or Coal fired plants to get them energy when the we have a streak of cloudy days, etc.

there is no free lunch- never will be, never was

If man made global warming is a real and serious problem then this is an extremely stupid tax

If man made global warming is of no concern and doesn't matter, this is not so stupid,, just a monopolistic/anti-competitive like practice at worst

Centralized power grids are vulnerable to cyber attacks and attacks on physical infrastructure from both terrorist organizations and hostile nation-states, successful attacks would cause massive systemic degradation of our economy and social cohesion - It is only logical to conclude that those who oppose efforts to decentralize power generation are enemies of the United States of America.

If man made global warming is a real and serious problem then this is an extremely stupid tax

If man made global warming is of no concern and doesn't matter, this is not so stupid,, just a monopolistic/anti-competitive like practice at worst

See "tax, carbon."