Part 2 Offensive Lines are more successful

So many fans want a good O line, and yet don't want to waste valuable early draft picks on them.

The very first overall pick by last years super bowl winning HC in Pete Carroll was an OT in 2010, the #6 overall pick. Yea, the very same year that Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix took over the Buffalo Bills. While the Bills were drafting a RB they didn't need in Spiller (BPA)?, and were still very desperate for a LT because they never properly replaced Jason Peters from the 2009 trade.

However, the new Seahawks HC decided to build that O line first thing in 2010. Then the very next year the hawks drafted more O linemen with their first round, and second pick in 2011. Then in 2012 they drafted their QB in the third round in Russell Wilson.

How to build a super bowl team (Pete Carroll) vs how to build a toilet bowl team (Gailey, Nix). Now the same stuff with Whaley, Marrone all under Russ Brandon. I hope new ownership fires this entire staff of clueless morons, the sooner the better.

So the Seahawks are Superbowl champs because they drafted two busts--OT James Carpenter who can't even earn a starting guard spot and Brandon Moffitt who's out of the league--along the OL in 2011?

PS that Seattle OL was lousy protecting Wilson last year.

We are measuring a position against a draft spot. Therefore, what you need to know is, how much the guy produced, and how much he cost to draft at that spot. If all skill guys are drafted in the top ten and produce X, and all lineman are drafted in the top ten and produce X plus, who is more successful?

I guess I would say that what you're doing is evaluating the value of a particular draft slot and then normalizing the data set by position.

IMO that doesn't really show what you're trying to convey...I still appreciate the effort and value the discussion.

So many fans want a good O line, and yet don't want to waste valuable early draft picks on them.

The very first overall pick by last years super bowl winning HC in Pete Carroll was an OT in 2010, the #6 overall pick. Yea, the very same year that Chan Gailey and Buddy Nix took over the Buffalo Bills. While the Bills were drafting a RB they didn't need in Spiller (BPA)?, and were still very desperate for a LT because they never properly replaced Jason Peters from the 2009 trade.

However, the new Seahawks HC decided to build that O line first thing in 2010. Then the very next year the hawks drafted more O linemen with their first round, and second pick in 2011. Then in 2012 they drafted their QB in the third round in Russell Wilson.

How to build a super bowl team (Pete Carroll) vs how to build a toilet bowl team (Gailey, Nix). Now the same stuff with Whaley, Marrone all under Russ Brandon. I hope new ownership fires this entire staff of clueless morons, the sooner the better.

Seattle's O-line? Yeah, everyone has mentioned how key the Seattle line was in reaching and winning a SB!

Come on, that O-line is worse the the Bills O-line. Pass protection sucked this year, despite 2 recent first round picks o the line.

The Seahawks built a crazy good defense and the offense only improved after they drafted WIlson. They could have had Dez Bryant instead of Okung. Who you rather have? Which has had a measurable impact for the team that drafted them?

I applaud the OP for his diligence, but I disagree with the whole premise of his thread. A lot of work, but it's just not convincing. Those who watched the games could see that the Bills offense wasn't suffering from a horrible O-line........

Anyone else find it ironic that the Bills go BPA for a play maker in 2010, draft RB CJ Spiller. Then the Bills trade away their former first round pick RB to the team that goes on to win a super bowl with him.

Oh yea, best player available very time, right Buddy?

Like I said, I can't wait.

Seattle's O-line? Yeah, everyone has mentioned how key the Seattle line was in reaching and winning a SB!

Come on, that O-line is worse the the Bills O-line. Pass protection sucked this year, despite 2 recent first round picks o the line.

The Seahawks built a crazy good defense and the offense only improved after they drafted WIlson. They could have had Dez Bryant instead of Okung. Who you rather have? Which has had a measurable impact for the team that drafted them?

I applaud the OP for his diligence, but I disagree with the whole premise of his thread. A lot of work, but it's just not convincing. Those who watched the games could see that the Bills offense wasn't suffering from a horrible O-line........

I dunno what games you were watching last year. The ones that really stood out to me were the Jets first game, Steelers, Buc's, Saints, Patriots. Complete, and utter domination by the Jets, steelers, Bucs. It was embarrassing to watch to those games, as the Bills line was obliterated.

Everyone keeps throwing up the RB numbers and think the line was great because the Bills were the #2 rushing team in the NFL. The sad fact is the Bills were last in almost every category concerning ball control. 25th in 3 downs and out. 29th in 3rd down efficiency. 30th in 4th down efficiency. 29th in yards per play. 31st in first down stats, 1116 plays, 301 first downs 27%. The only team worse in first downs were the Jags. The Bills were a great rushing team because of one good O lineman in center Eric Wood, and their two RB's. The Bills graded poorly in run blocking, and In pass blocking they all sucked except Glenn.

The Bills played a lot of bad teams last year, and still ended up 6-10. Had they kept Levitre, or replaced him properly. Then brought in a better RT, and a decent vet QB the entire season could have been a different story.

The Seahawks suffered a lot of injuries to their O line last season and many O line players didn't play a full 16 games. To their credit they were still able to win the super bowl despite all those injuries. Want to talk depth, the Bills had scrubs right off the waiver wire after week six for depth on their O line.

The Hawks drafted a very mobile QB in Wilson who didn't need more then 3 seconds in the pocket, and could easily escape pressure, make plays, score TD's. A player this team overlooked.

The fact remains that Pete Carroll still drafted those O line players in an effort to build a better O line. Clearly his forte is with the defensive secondary, and developing 5th round players into all pro's in 2 years.

Anyone else find it ironic that the Bills go BPA for a play maker in 2010, draft RB CJ Spiller. Then the Bills trade away their former first round pick RB to the team that goes on to win a super bowl with him.

Oh yea, best player available very time, right Buddy?

Like I said, I can't wait.

Not ironic at all. In the last 6 months it has been written over 1 billion times that FJackson was outplaying Skittles, and that his Criminal issues were also key in trading the bum. If you think his 35 yards in the Superbowl were huge, then there is no way for you to see the light.