Offensive Line Draft picks are more successful

10 Steps Ahead of ya:

http://forums.twobil...e-ol-confusion/

EDIT: just realized that comment may have come off sounding sassy...not my intent...sorry

Good call. I'll check that out

I still feel like the o-line is the biggest issue on this team currently. Maybe this thread will change my mind... I'm very open minded as long as the numbers make sense

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call. I'll check that out

I still feel like the o-line is the biggest issue on this team currently. Maybe this thread will change my mind... I'm very open minded as long as the numbers make sense

And you may still feel that way after reading it...I offer that "just the facts" evaluation purely as evidence that I'm like you--I have a desire for my opinion to be rooted in facts that make sense to me.

Enjoy.

Per that post:

43.8% of sacks attributed to blown blocks: 21 sacks

15.6% to confusion: 7.5 sacks

So that's nearly 30 sacks attributed to poor o-line play

40.6% due to coverage: 19.5 sacks

Now these would be a mixture of poor QB play and poor WR play. Either WR's weren't getting open or our young QB's were not finding open WR's. Very tough to determine the culprit unless you have access to coaches' film and can break down every single sack.

I'm not positive, but could these "coverage" sacks also be attributed to the QB being rushed into a bad throw due to poor blocking?

Further down in that post, ProFootballFocus rated Eric Pears as the 2nd worst RT in ALL of the NFL in run blocking & the entire unit 8th worst overall in run blocking.

Very good break down none-the-less. Good work

What this tells me is a couple things:

1. EJ Manuel needs to stay healthy- Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis completely kill this offense; our bread and butter will be the running game & win the defense knows you cannot attack them down the field, they are going to stack the box. This team cannot be one dimensional and be successful on offense. We don't need Peyton Manning. Fitz was able to keep teams honest and open things up for Spiller (6.0 ypc) and FJax.

2. The line needs to be upgraded- Levitre was a huge loss. Just look at how bad we were running the ball to the left side (32nd) even with a mauler like Glenn playing LT. Chris Williams should be an upgrade over Legursky or Brown

3. Eric Pears cannot be our opening day starter at RT. He is terrible at run blocking and that is not good in a run oriented offense

I still am all for going one of the top 3 RT's at 9. Pears is terrible and needs to go. We also have very little depth; if Glenn were to go down, do you really want Eric Pears playing LT?? Lewan or Matthews could slide right over to LT.

Edited by smapdi

The problem is, we don't have Aaron Rodgers at them moment. This team is all in on EJ Manuel this season. They also aren't going be a passing offense. I don't know about you, but I'm looking for immediate progress & playoffs this season. I'm sick of missing out. IMO, the defense is good enough to be a playoff unit.

Adding that premiere tackle sets us up for success in a variety of ways:

- Immediate improvement to the worst unit of our offense

- Gives our young QB (whom they are dead set on; like it or not) more time

- Will improve the running the game which is this team's go-to on offense. CJ Spiller has the talent to be an elite back. We just need a line to help open things up.

- If Manuel busts this season, we have the pieces in place for a new QB to be successful

Call me old fashioned but I still feel like games are won and lost in the trenches. Just look at how badly our line was abused last season. If you can dominate at the line, things become much easier for everyone else.

Going into the offseason, my idea for this draft was playmaking WR, OT, TE in the first 3 rounds. Stealing Mike Williams takes care of adding a playmaking WR.

Now it comes down to what the best value is of OT vs TE in rounds 1 and 2. Give me Matthews or Lewan and then Niklas or ASJ instead of Ebron and ????

Niklas is the best in-line blocker in this TE class by far and is just getting started. He is a much better blocker then Ebron and a better redzone threat. Ebron only had 3 TE's and was used more as a split out, over sized WR. Niklas is you more traditional TE and is almost another OT out there at 6'6" / 270.

The Bills O line was horrible last year, as Colin Brown graded as the very worst player in the NFL at any position, and was benched / cut after week six. This was the player who was to replace the Bills best pass blocker in Andy Levitre. The backup center was forced to action at LG, and played very poorly.

To those who say the line wasn't abused apparently missed the drubbing by the 4-12 Buc's who dominated the line of scrimmage. They also missed the games against the Steelers, Saints. The Bills were one of the worst teams in controlling the line of scrimmage, and controlling the clock on offense all season. I dread the thought of what they would have looked like last year playing against the Seahawks or 49ers.

The Bills need more then just an OT if they are to compete for the division this year.

The Bills O line was horrible last year, as Colin Brown graded as the very worst player in the NFL at any position, and was benched / cut after week six. This was the player who was to replace the Bills best pass blocker in Andy Levitre. The backup center was forced to action at LG, and played very poorly.

To those who say the line wasn't abused apparently missed the drubbing by the 4-12 Buc's who dominated the line of scrimmage. They also missed the games against the Steelers, Saints. The Bills were one of the worst teams in controlling the line of scrimmage, and controlling the clock on offense all season. I dread the thought of what they would have looked like last year playing against the Seahawks or 49ers.

The Bills need more then just an OT if they are to compete for the division this year.

Did we also miss the games against Carolina, Baltimore, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Kansas City--all top 12 defenses--in which the Bills basically ran the ball at will?

1. EJ Manuel needs to stay healthy- Jeff Tuel and Thad Lewis completely kill this offense; our bread and butter will be the running game & win the defense knows you cannot attack them down the field, they are going to stack the box. This team cannot be one dimensional and be successful on offense. We don't need Peyton Manning. Fitz was able to keep teams honest and open things up for Spiller (6.0 ypc) and FJax.

Absolutely

2. The line needs to be upgraded- Levitre was a huge loss. Just look at how bad we were running the ball to the left side (32nd) even with a mauler like Glenn playing LT. Chris Williams should be an upgrade over Legursky or Brown

Yep, totally agree. LG needs to be upgraded, and I'm hopeful that Williams will get the job done.

3. Eric Pears cannot be our opening day starter at RT. He is terrible at run blocking and that is not good in a run oriented offense

I'd prefer to see RT upgraded as well, and I'm not willing to count on Hairston.

I still am all for going one of the top 3 RT's at 9. Pears is terrible and needs to go. We also have very little depth; if Glenn were to go down, do you really want Eric Pears playing LT?? Lewan or Matthews could slide right over to LT.

I would love to get Matthews...my issue with OT at 9 is I'm not a fan of Lewan and I'm 99% sure Matthews won't be there. Zack Martin just isn't any better, IMO, than the crop that would be there in round 2.

If an OT were truly the best available guy at 9, then I'd have zero issue with it...I just don't think it's prudent to prioritize a position in the 1st round over and above talent, especially in a draft with this many talented guys.

Edited by thebandit27

That's a GIGANTIC if...I mean, I hope it happens and Matthews is there at 9...just don't see it.

Gigantic? Nah...I'm not saying it's close to a given either...It's definitely less than 50/50...Atlanta is the wildcard team in this whole thing...No question they are a prime spot for Matthews to go... B-)

I would love to get Matthews...my issue with OT at 9 is I'm not a fan of Lewan and I'm 99% sure Matthews won't be there. Zack Martin just isn't any better, IMO, than the crop that would be there in round 2.

If an OT were truly the best available guy at 9, then I'd have zero issue with it...I just don't think it's prudent to prioritize a position in the 1st round over and above talent, especially in a draft with this many talented guys.

Spot on. I understand a lot of people are hesitant about Lewan about his off the field stuff; I'd much rather have Matthews or Robinson myself.

Still, he is one mean, nasty linemen. Very athletic - 4.87 forty, 30.5 inch vertical, 117" broad jump, and 7.39 3 cone; all of which made him a top performer for the o-linemen at the combine. He has that elite size @ 6'7" / 309 LB with 34 inch arms. He is one of the best in the class at getting to the 2nd level; integral when you have a back like Spiller. Tough and durable. A lot of "draftniks" are saying he would have went in the top 3 in previous drafts without much hesitation.

If all 3 of them are gone, I'm against Martin at 9. He is a tier 2 guy and not worth a top 10 pick. His size worries me the most at only 6'4" with a short wing span; we know the Bills like their linemen big. He just doesn't jump off the page like Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan does.

Spot on. I understand a lot of people are hesitant about Lewan about his off the field stuff; I'd much rather have Matthews or Robinson myself.

Still, he is one mean, nasty linemen. Very athletic - 4.87 forty, 30.5 inch vertical, 117" broad jump, and 7.39 3 cone; all of which made him a top performer for the o-linemen at the combine. He has that elite size @ 6'7" / 309 LB with 34 inch arms. He is one of the best in the class at getting to the 2nd level; integral when you have a back like Spiller. Tough and durable. A lot of "draftniks" are saying he would have went in the top 3 in previous drafts without much hesitation. I remember when we decide to go with Mike Williams over Bryant McKinney because McKinney had "off field" problems. Lewan will fill the bill...if management can't handle him its a management problem. Marshawn Lynch seems to be doing fine in Seattle.

If all 3 of them are gone, I'm against Martin at 9. He is a tier 2 guy and not worth a top 10 pick. His size worries me the most at only 6'4" with a short wing span; we know the Bills like their linemen big. He just doesn't jump off the page like Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan does.

Still, he is one mean, nasty linemen. Very athletic - 4.87 forty, 30.5 inch vertical, 117" broad jump, and 7.39 3 cone; all of which made him a top performer for the o-linemen at the combine. He has that elite size @ 6'7" / 309 LB with 34 inch arms. He is one of the best in the class at getting to the 2nd level; integral when you have a back like Spiller. Tough and durable. A lot of "draftniks" are saying he would have went in the top 3 in previous drafts without much hesitation.

Martin's arm length is really not that bad...Apparently he was mismeasured at one point before the Combine and it started this whole issue about short arms...His arm length is really not bad at all considering he's 6-4...Martin's reach is 32 7/8"...Lewan is 3 inches taller and has an inch longer reach (33 7/8")...Matthews is 6-5 1/2 and has a 33 3/8" reach...So anyway...I don't like Martin at #9 either...But in a trade down I think he's a viable option...He's a very solid player and a big-time character guy...I think he'll do well at RT...He's just a solid football player... B-)

Martin's arm length is really not that bad...Apparently he was mismeasured at one point before the Combine and it started this whole issue about short arms...His arm length is really not bad at all considering he's 6-4...Martin's reach is 32 7/8"...Lewan is 3 inches taller and has an inch longer reach (33 7/8")...Matthews is 6-5 1/2 and has a 33 3/8" reach...So anyway...I don't like Martin at #9 either...But in a trade down I think he's a viable option...He's a very solid player and a big-time character guy...I think he'll do well at RT...He's just a solid football player... B-)

I'm definitely intrigued by Martin in a trade down scenario. NFL.com has him graded at a 5.97 while Lewan is a 6.18 so that isn't a huge drop off. He has a ton of experience starting 52 games at ND. 2 time captain with "sparkling intangibles" and a hardworking leader. NFL's write up has him a player who's length "dictates" he moves inside.

I guess it's up to the Bills and Marrone is they think he is RT material. He also doesn't give you that flexibility to move over to LT but that isn't exactly a deal breaker since Glenn is cemented there.

I feel like he is trade down material for sure but I'm no expert on college OT's.

I personally would be shocked if Lewan wasn't there for us. Especially since TB is now in the market for a WR like Evans. Also, if all 3 of those top 3 are gone, that could mean a player like Mack could be there for the taking.

I'm definitely intrigued by Martin in a trade down scenario. NFL.com has him graded at a 5.97 while Lewan is a 6.18 so that isn't a huge drop off. He has a ton of experience starting 52 games at ND. 2 time captain with "sparkling intangibles" and a hardworking leader. NFL's write up has him a player who's length "dictates" he moves inside.

I guess it's up to the Bills and Marrone is they think he is RT material. He also doesn't give you that flexibility to move over to LT but that isn't exactly a deal breaker since Glenn is cemented there.

I feel like he is trade down material for sure but I'm no expert on college OT's.

I personally would be shocked if Lewan wasn't there for us. Especially since TB is now in the market for a WR like Evans. Also, if all 3 of those top 3 are gone, that could mean a player like Mack could be there for the taking.

IMHO Lewan will be there...It all depends on how the Bills view his off-the-field stuff...I've been pretty vocal about my worries concerning Lewan...I should just shut up about it... :lol: ...And I am a 20 plus year Michigan fan...There is no question in my mind that Lewan could be a very special OT...I think he's a bit more athletic version of Nate Solder (And that's a good thing btw)...But the off the field stuff with him simply does not sit well with me...I can't even give you a definitive reason because it goes beyond the stories and what he's been charged with...I want to, but I just don't trust him I guess...It's just a weird feeling I get about him...I kind of get an Incognito vibe...But admittedly that could be just me...And if the Bills take Lewan I will be hoping beyond hope that he enjoys great success on and off the field...We'll see I guess... B-)

IMHO Lewan will be there...It all depends on how the Bills view his off-the-field stuff...I've been pretty vocal about my worries concerning Lewan...I should just shut up about it... :lol: ...And I am a 20 plus year Michigan fan...There is no question in my mind that Lewan could be a very special OT...I think he's a bit more athletic version of Nate Solder (And that's a good thing btw)...But the off the field stuff with him simply does not sit well with me...I can't even give you a definitive reason because it goes beyond the stories and what he's been charged with...I want to, but I just don't trust him I guess...It's just a weird feeling I get about him...I kind of get an Incognito vibe...But admittedly that could be just me...And if the Bills take Lewan I will be hoping beyond hope that he enjoys great success on and off the field...We'll see I guess... B-)

Since you've obviously seen a lot more of him then a lot of people around these parts, do you really feel like he is that big of risk off the field?

I've read he would've gone in the top 3 of last year's draft in that OT class. Do his red flags really merit passing on a pro-bowl caliber OT?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Matthews or Robinson but there is not a chance Robinson is there and about a 40% Matthews makes it.

This type of thinking is what has kept the Bills at or near the bottom of the league for 14+ years IMO. Because its been that long since this franchise had an actual O line that could control the line of scrimmage.

But you are right in thinking that one O linemen isn't going to make or break a team, because it is a team sport and that line only succeeds with strong continuity from all five players.

Wanna know how many Buffalo Bills O linemen have made the pro bowl the last 20 years? Exactly two, and not at the same time, Ruben Brown an OG who played nine years for the Bills, and LT Jason Peters. That's it!

Man, I hope you are right with this train of thought.

Although, I'd really be very surprised the bills draft an OT with that #9, even if Matthews is still there.

I think there is some truth to what he's saying too. It isn't, and never has been about a single lineman.

Or 2. But you can't expect 2 good linemen to take on 5 or more defenders. It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't.

THAT is what happened many times in the past.

We have R. Brown, he's a Pro Bowler, so we can get by on Pucillo and Trey Teague;

We have Jason Peters...so we can slap a guy like Tuten Reyes next to him;

We just drafted Levitre and Wood, so we can use D. Bell and Kirk Chambers as our tackles;

We just re-signed Wood...so we can put some schlep next to him.

Like a bad manager..they often as 1 or 2 to do the work of 5.

As far as what he said about drafting..late 1st, 2nd round or a little later....I just have a problem with the "little later" part.

i agree..they've really done well in the late 1st-2nd rounds.

But it has been 10 years since they got anyone below the 2nd who is worth mentioning. They got lucky with Jason Peters as a UDFA 10 years ago...but have been 0 for the decade since then. You have to go back to 2001 to find someone worth mentioning drafted as high as the 3rd round.

The rally cry of "you can get these guys later in the draft" hasn't worked for the Bills...not even close.

I don't mind drafting OL late in the draft...I have more of a problem when they are Plan A...or the only plan.

Since you've obviously seen a lot more of him then a lot of people around these parts, do you really feel like he is that big of risk off the field?

I've read he would've gone in the top 3 of last year's draft in that OT class. Do his red flags really merit passing on a pro-bowl caliber OT?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather have Matthews or Robinson but there is not a chance Robinson is there and about a 40% Matthews makes it.

I've read just about everything there is to read about the two separate off-the-field issues concerning Lewan...And he has had some issues on the field with dirty play and penalties as well...No question the kid can be very special if he is able to mature...But if not, who knows what kind of trouble he can get in?...It's a really tough call IMHO...But more than anything...If in fact these assaults in which he has been formally charged with now actually happened...That means Lewan stood in front of every NFL team and the entire world at the Combine and lied through his teeth...That possibility bothers me more than anything...I just have doubts about the kids character...He talks a great game...But there's some serious smoke here...And you know the saying... B-)

I've read just about everything there is to read about the two separate off-the-field issues concerning Lewan...And he has had some issues on the field with dirty play and penalties as well...No question the kid can be very special if he is able to mature...But if not, who knows what kind of trouble he can get in?...It's a really tough call IMHO...But more than anything...If in fact these assaults in which he has been formally charged with now actually happened...That means Lewan stood in front of every NFL team and the entire world at the Combine and lied through his teeth...That possibility bothers me more than anything...I just have doubts about the kids character...He talks a great game...But there's some serious smoke here...And you know the saying... B-)

I always find it interesting when a fan of a college team advises you against someone on their team. Naturally, you would want guys from that program and can even be delusional about that player. KOK, your dislike of Lewan has me wanting nothing to do with him (and not just because he is from Michigan). As a Buckeye fan I feel the same way about Bradley Roby. I just don't trust him but it's on the field in his case, not off. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I always find it interesting when a fan of a college team advises you against someone on their team. Naturally, you would want guys from that program and can even be delusional about that player. KOK, your dislike of Lewan has me wanting nothing to do with him (and not just because he is from Michigan). As a Buckeye fan I feel the same way about Bradley Roby. I just don't trust him but it's on the field in his case, not off.

I hear you Kirby...Believe me there is nothing I would like more than to be able to fully endorse Lewan...But in good conscious I can't...Though I do believe he'll be just fine on the field...I only hope that if in fact the Bills take him he's learned his lessons and becomes someone you can trust off the field... B-)

I always find it interesting when a fan of a college team advises you against someone on their team. Naturally, you would want guys from that program and can even be delusional about that player. KOK, your dislike of Lewan has me wanting nothing to do with him (and not just because he is from Michigan). As a Buckeye fan I feel the same way about Bradley Roby. I just don't trust him but it's on the field in his case, not off.

Did a little digging and here we go:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/20/taylor-lewan-faces-misdemeanor-assault-charges/

“I wasn’t in any fight of any kind,” he said. “I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him. But that’s not who I am off the field, that’s not the kind of person I am. I might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that’s not who I am as a person."

If that's all there is, I'm too concerned. OSU and MICH is one of the biggest rivalry in all of college and I'm sure there were multiple sides to that story.

The other major incident is a 'he said she said" rape accusation. He was never accused to raping her but of threatening to *supposedly*

I for one love the fact he plays with a mean streak on the field. The Bills need some enforcers on offense. I want this team going in a totally new direction. The signing of Spikes was a great start. Woods plays with an edge. I have no problem bringing in some hard nosed linemen

http://profootballta...ssault-charges/

“I wasn’t in any fight of any kind,” he said. “I was actually breaking something up and some guy said that I slugged him. But that’s not who I am off the field, that’s not the kind of person I am. I might seem that way because of the way I play football, but that’s not who I am as a person."

If that's all there is, I'm too concerned. OSU and MICH is one of the biggest rivalry in all of college and I'm sure there were multiple sides to that story.

The other major incident is a 'he said she said" rape accusation. He was never accused to raping her but of threatening to *supposedly*

I for one love the fact he plays with a mean streak on the field. The Bills need some enforcers on offense. I want this team going in a totally new direction. The signing of Spikes was a great start. Woods plays with an edge. I have no problem bringing in some hard nosed linemen

The rape allegations are a bit different.

In his freshman year, the team kicker..a friend of his, allegedly raped a female student. After she made the allegations, Lewan apparently threatened her...telling her to keep quiet or he'd rape her himself.

He WAS warned by the Ann Arbor PD to have no further contact with her...and the allegations about the threat were made by two teammates, not the victim...

http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/uploads/7/6/7/4/7674794/7992254.png?745

And the kicker was expelled from school last fall...4 years after teh fact.

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/former-kicker-brendan-gibbons-expelled-sexual-misconduct?page=0,0

I'm not as concerned about the fight he may or may not have gotten into.

Threatening a rape victim is another matter.

I wouldn't want him on my team.

http://profootballta...ssault-charges/

There is way more to these stories than what you just sighted...And despite what we all may want to believe the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle...In no way am I saying everything in all these links is true and factual...But it seems a bit far fetched to believe Lewan was 100% innocent of these things as well...Maybe he was...Maybe everyone is just picking on the 6-7-310 guy...Could be...It happens... B-)

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-red-flag-report-Taylor-Lewan.html

http://www.washtenawwatchdogs.com/4/post/2013/08/the-cover-up-of-the-arrest-of-university-of-michigan-football-player-brendan-gibbons-for-rape.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2014/01/brendan_gibbons_was_arrested_i.html

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/25/michigan-faces-federal-investigation-over-brendan-gibbons-rape-allegation-response/

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Michigans-Lewan-Accused-Of-Assault-167623

I think there is some truth to what he's saying too. It isn't, and never has been about a single lineman.

Or 2. But you can't expect 2 good linemen to take on 5 or more defenders. It would be nice if it worked that way, but it doesn't.

THAT is what happened many times in the past.

We have R. Brown, he's a Pro Bowler, so we can get by on Pucillo and Trey Teague;

We have Jason Peters...so we can slap a guy like Tuten Reyes next to him;

We just drafted Levitre and Wood, so we can use D. Bell and Kirk Chambers as our tackles;

We just re-signed Wood...so we can put some schlep next to him.

Like a bad manager..they often as 1 or 2 to do the work of 5.

As far as what he said about drafting..late 1st, 2nd round or a little later....I just have a problem with the "little later" part.

i agree..they've really done well in the late 1st-2nd rounds.

But it has been 10 years since they got anyone below the 2nd who is worth mentioning. They got lucky with Jason Peters as a UDFA 10 years ago...but have been 0 for the decade since then. You have to go back to 2001 to find someone worth mentioning drafted as high as the 3rd round.

The rally cry of "you can get these guys later in the draft" hasn't worked for the Bills...not even close.

I don't mind drafting OL late in the draft...I have more of a problem when they are Plan A...or the only plan.

"If only"

If only the Bills would put as much effort into building a decent O line as they have the D line the last 15 years they might have had some success with a QB. Because this team refuses to build a complete line, and tries to get by with late round scrubs that almost never pan out. If only the Bills would draft as must talent for the offense as they have for the defense.

Let's face some facts here, anyone drafted after the second round usually doesn't last long in a Bills uni. So, here is hoping the Bills use their first two picks on an OG / OT or this offense is in the toilet again this year.

The Buffalo Bills graded #1 in rushing attempts, #2 in rushing yards...and yet ranked 29th in run blocking by PFF, and 16th by Football outsiders. Then considering their breakdown of exactly how the bills ran the ball is most disconcerting to me. 456 carries, Left end 6%- Left tackle 11%- mid guard 70%-Right tackle 10%- Right end 3%. So freaking predictable, and also tells me that should anything happen to center Eric Wood the Bills are completely screwed.

Those stats also tell me that the Bills have a pair of elite RB's in Fred Jackson & CJ Spiller who made a lot of yards on their own without decent run blocking.

For the life of me I can't understand why this team would replace its best pass blocker with utter garbage in Colin Brown, David Snow, and then Doug Legursky...all the while starting a corps of rookie QB's. Now this off season so far the Bills signed new free agent Chris Williams who graded as the worst player on that Rams O line last year. Just like Legursky graded as the worst player on the Steelers line.

I just don't get how this team undervalues the importance of a top line.

Edited by FeartheLosing