OT - Need help on graphics card installation

Stevie Ray

I just purchased and installed a 3D graphics PCI card for my desktop. The instructions specified that I remove the existing graphics card, which is an AGP. When I connected and turned everything on, my monitor, now connected to the new card, is not getting a signal.

Was I supposed to replace the AGP with an AGP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your card in the slot all the way???..just a thought from a non pc geek.. :rolleyes:

215064[/snapback]

Pretty sure it is. Wiggled it in as much as possible and the slot cover was able to snap in place, so I think its pretty secure. Thx!

Just my luck, manufacturer is only available Mon - Fri. I'll probably crack it open again and see if another slot is available. If that doesnt work I'm just gonna go out and shovel some snow and deal with this later. Thanks Hawk.

I just purchased and installed a 3D graphics PCI card for my desktop. The instructions specified that I remove the existing graphics card, which is an AGP. When I connected and turned everything on, my monitor, now connected to the new card, is not getting a signal.

Was I supposed to replace the AGP with an AGP? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

215045[/snapback]

You dont have to replace with a AGP. You may however, not have your BIOS checking for new hardware. Your BIOS should find the card and install it.

What I would do is re-install the old card AND install the new card at the same time. Run the monitor off the old card. Go to the control panel/system/hardware devices and uninstall the old card. Make sure that the new card shows up in there. Then switch the cable to the new card, physically remove the old card, and restart.

See, its important that you try to install the new card while you are using the old one, that way you will know whether Windows "sees" the new card. If it does, you probably are fine to remove the old one and switch. You also can unhook the monitor cable and switch to the other card while Windows is running. I have done it. The monitor just shows no signal until its hooked to the new card.

I don't think its a driver issue. At the very least, there should be a signal to the monitor and the computer should try to boot to Windows. If you aren't getting any signal whatsoever to the monitor, I'd try it in another slot (or all of them, if necessary). I would probably try the one closest to the CPU first. If that doesn't work and you still get no signal to the monitor, I'd probably conclude that the board is defective. It will also be incompatible if, as VABills suggested, you're trying to use a PCI express board in a regular PCI slot.

Thanks all for your help. I tried sort of doing what JP-era suggested, that is reinstalling the old card. I reconnected the monitor to the old card and went into system/devices etc. I think I see that the PC accepted the new hardware, probably when I first turned it on, though I couldnt see it that the time. But for some reason its not letting me update the driver for the new card with the driver that came with it.

In any case, I disconnected the monitor from the old card to the new card, and now get a "signal", but the monitor has a message saying "input not supported".

Should I proceed to remove the driver for the old card? Would that force the monitor to accept the new card.

I hate this, all of this just so my kids can play these new video games.

Are you using windows xp or what?

Why are you going from an AGP card to a PCI?

215135[/snapback]

I'm using XP. As for why I'm using PCI, no particular reason other than I've installed 2 other PCI cards and thought that seemed easy enough. It wasnt until i actually opened up my PC and found that the existing video card is AGP, that I started thinking I made a mistake buying the pCI card.

Problem is its out of the plastic packaging, but I've been a pretty good Best Buy customer, if I'm bringing everything back intact and looking for an even exchange to the AGP, I would think they would honor it. I think going with the AGP as you and Fezmid are insunating may be the answer to my problem.

Again thanks to all for your help!

I'm using XP. As for why I'm using PCI, no particular reason other than I've installed 2 other PCI cards and thought that seemed easy enough. It wasnt until i actually opened up my PC and found that the existing video card is AGP, that I started thinking I made a mistake buying the pCI card.

Problem is its out of the plastic packaging, but I've been a pretty good Best Buy customer, if I'm bringing everything back intact and looking for an even exchange to the AGP, I would think they would honor it. I think going with the AGP as you and Fezmid are insunating may be the answer to my problem.

Again thanks to all for your help!

215140[/snapback]

Take it back and just tell them you made a mistake. Get yourself another AGP card.

What are you using for a video card now?