OT - Need help on graphics card installation

Stevie Ray

Using 32mb nvidia that came with the PC. The only reason I upgraded was some new PC games I got for my daughters weren't working properly and it recommended a 3d graphics card of at least 64mb. I bought the GeForce FX5500 at 128mb, figuring this should eliminate having to upgrade again in a year or two.

Using 32mb nvidia that came with the PC. The only reason I upgraded was some new PC games I got for my daughters weren't working properly and it recommended a 3d graphics card of at least 64mb. I bought the GeForce FX5500 at 128mb, figuring this should eliminate having to upgrade again in a year or two.

215144[/snapback]

I suggest you stay with the Ge-Force card just get the AGP version.

What are the specs on the rest of your computer?

CPU?

Memory?

Gateway with Pentium 4 at 1.3ghz, rAM = 384mb. HD = 80 gigs, using XP home edition.

215157[/snapback]

Get that card and you will see a big differnce in the games you play.

Need help again just post a message, we love to help!

Thanks all for your help. I tried sort of doing what JP-era suggested, that is reinstalling the old card. I reconnected the monitor to the old card and went into system/devices etc. I think I see that the PC accepted the new hardware, probably when I first turned it on, though I couldnt see it that the time. But for some reason its not letting me update the driver for the new card with the driver that came with it.

In any case, I disconnected the monitor from the old card to the new card, and now get a "signal", but the monitor has a message saying "input not supported".

Should I proceed to remove the driver for the old card? Would that force the monitor to accept the new card.

I hate this, all of this just so my kids can play these new video games.

215108[/snapback]

Well, you did at least get to the root of the problem using the method of the "both installed, switch the cable back and forth routine".

XP started this whole "signed driver" thingy that screws up installations. I imagine that the card you have isnt mainstream? and therefore Microsoft doesnt have a driver for it?

The best place to get the driver installation info is from the cards manufacturers website.

You could also try running a windows update and select custom install, it will look at everything you have onyour computer and will find drivers tod ownload and install. It works on SOME things.

The input error you got is interesting, thats a new one to me. If it displays at all that means that it can work. Maybe I didnt read you right, when you said it gave you and input error was it showing windows with a error window? or did it never even get there and simply the monitor was dark except for the monitor giving you the error? If its the later, you may be in trouble.

Whats the card? Manufacture, Model number. I can try to figure it out for you.

215144[/snapback]

I run the GE Force FX 5200.

The file you want is here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_66.93

Thats the forceware and will also install the drivers.