Analytics for Defensive Holding/Interference: The Seahawk Way

The analytics probability part would seem to indicate it is better to clutch and grab the WR on every play and give up a few defensive holdings rather than a large chunk of yards.

There, fixed. Another misuse of the term analytics. When you are talking about the likelihood of an event happening that's probability, not analytics.

Or the Patriots. Seems they line 3 WR's in the slot all tight and run a series of picks from that formation. One guy gets open and Brady hits him

Have we forgotten about Chan's stacked/bunch formations already? They were very effective in getting our mid level WRs open quickly.

Edited by Dorkington

There, fixed. Another misuse of the term analytics. When you are talking about the likelihood of an event happening that's probability, not analytics.

You mad bro'?? :nana: I actually thought "analytics" was a glorified "cost benefit analysis" of specific players in specific roles and whether they will benefit the team if they play a certain way given their history of on-field play. In this case, incorporating a new "hold first" strategy for the DB's (found to be successful for the Hawks) is, in effect, a bastardized form of analytics (analyzing the Hawks DB's, how they did it, acknowledging there will be increased penalties for holding, but understanding there will be greater benefits which outweigh those costs).

They favor the Seahawks D because its brand recognition/their identity. Similar to how Brady and Manning are good QB's, and thus, get calls.

What teams are emulating the Seahawks? The 49ers and Panthers? Those guys got blown up with calls in the playoffs.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy or anything like that. I doubt it's even conscious. Officials know the Seahakws are tough and physical and they don't call things that are called on other teams.

we must be confident even hawks are tough .we could do something