An Early Offseason Free Agency/Draft Scenario

R. Rich

This is my first scenario of this offseason, so there's bound to be some room for improvement. Still, it addresses the offensive line (what a surprise!) and the pass rush, two major areas of need for the Bills.

Free Agency

1. Sign T Tra Thomas of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Thomas will want big bucks, but he's worth big bucks. I still don't think he'll command the kind of cash either Orlando Pace or Walter Jones will, but he won't be cheap. Still, as I said, he's worth it. He's huge, has good feet, and is strong.

2. Sign a good free agent corner. Hopefuls:

a. Aaron Beasley-Atlanta

b. Jason Craft-New Orleans

c. Nick Harper-Indianapolis

d. Renaldo Hill-Arizona

e. Kiwaukee Thomas-Jacksonville

Why a CB? We need to be able to better match up w/teams using a 3 WR set, like what Pittsburgh did in the season finale. Their slot receiver, Antwaan Randle El, killed us becuase we didn't match up well.

The Draft

1. Use our first pick, 2nd round pick, on the best interior OL available. Hopefuls:

a. Elton Brown-Virginia (doubtful he'll fall out of the late first/early 2nd, but you never know)

b. C.J. Brooks-Maryland (very impressive; I'd love to end up with him in the 2nd)

c. Chris Kemoeatu-Utah (good athlete with good size and toughness)

d. Sam Mayes-Oklahoma State (good size, toughness, and work ethic)

e. Claude Terrell-New Mexico (big, mean, tough)

NOTE: options C-E may also be available in the 3rd round, should the Bills look to do something else (maybe a pass rushing LB like Rian Wallace of Temple or a safety?) with the 2nd round pick

2. Use our 2nd pick, 3rd round pick, on a pass rushing LB. Hopefuls:

a. Kevin Burnett-Tennessee (quick, good cover man as he was a safety once)

b. Michael Boley-Southern Miss (very fast, good playmaker)

NOTE: Wallace would be the best candidate here, but probably won't be around past the 2nd round. If we use the 2nd round pick on Wallace, then I'd look to options C-E mentioned above, as they could be around at the time of the 3rd round pick.

3. Use our 3rd pick, 4th round pick, on a C to push for the starting job and provide us with a good backup. Hopefuls:

a. Jason Brown-North Carolina (was impressive in his senior year, could surprise some people, very strong with good size!)

b. Junius Coston-North Carolina A&T (good size/strength, nice quickness, a real sleeper!)

c. Richie Incognito-Nebraska (tough, good size/strength, needs to improve his attitude and control his temper, but a good prospect)

Use the remaining picks on top players available at the pick.

Great work! Do you have any ideas at running back, assuming of course that Henry will be gone? I told you mine already.  :P

211163[/snapback]

I'd say go after Moats, but he'll more than likely be gone by round 5. Then again, if we were to acquire another pick in the 2nd or 3rd (if Henry is traded), maybe we could go after Moats then. I'd also look into free agents like Chester Taylor of Baltimore or Derrick Blaylock of Kansas City. Taylor won't command much in free agency, I don't believe. Blaylock would cost more, but the Chiefs also have Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson to be concerned with.

Rich,

You seem to know more about the draft and where a player should/could go, than anyone here on two bills.

Tell me what do you think of Brandon Jacobs from So. Illinois? He's a transfer from Auburn (gee I wonder why he transfered) and is listed as 6'4" 260 with 4.5 speed.

I was hoping Buffalo might take a shot at this kid around the 5 6 round. What do you know of him?

Rich,

You seem to know more about the draft and where a player should/could go, than anyone here on two bills. 

Tell me what do you think of Brandon Jacobs from So. Illinois?  He's a transfer from Auburn (gee I wonder why he transfered) and is listed as 6'4" 260 with 4.5 speed. 

I was hoping Buffalo might take a shot at this kid around the 5 6 round.  What do you know of him?

211542[/snapback]

Are you asking if he'll be drafted at FB or at HB? I think he'll get better consideration at FB and if so, his size and speed may move him into the 3rd or 4th round. As a HB, he'd be around in round 5. Then again, he could have a good workout and considering he's a big back with 4.55 speed, his workout could push him even higher. My guess is he'll be taken somewhere between the late 3rd to the 5th round, but that's purely a guess until we see what happens with the Senior Bowl and the combine.

Strong work, Rich!

I especially like Tra Thomas; didn't know he was a FA this year. That changes the way we'd draft, as would a TH trade (can you imagine getting, say, Thomas, then getting two 2nd rounders like Vince Carter at C/G and Antonio Perkins at CB?)...Wallace in RD#3 would be a dream draft...

Astro

R.Rich, awesome post as always!!!

I really like your thought process, as it further improves the OL and the Bills need another LB I totally agree. And it was so evident, especially watching it live (randle el), that the Bills do need a 3rd corner. The Bills really need to become the kind of team that can adjust to their opponents when need be, but primarily be a power running, good at protecting the QB offensive team that can also shutdown the opponents passing attack.

R.Rich, awesome post as always!!!

I really like your thought process, as it further improves the OL and the Bills need another LB I totally agree.  And it was so evident, especially watching it live (randle el), that the Bills do need a 3rd corner.  The Bills really need to become the kind of team that can adjust to their opponents when need be, but primarily be a power running, good at protecting the QB offensive team that can also shutdown the opponents passing attack.

212584[/snapback]

Yeah it would be nice, wouldn't it? Still, I haven't been overly thrilled with the way Donahoe and company has addressed the OL talent issue. Maybe this is the offseason where they do go out and get a stud LT or LG; maybe not. If they do, it'll really get me psyched about next season, that's for sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.