Easterbrook breaks down Colts/Pats

nodnarb

"the Colts' mincing, fraidy-cat call"

How predictable was that??? TMQ hammered the Bills and some other teams for "Preposterous Punts" all year. Apparently Tony Dungy isn't one of his readers.

210473[/snapback]

That's the whole point. He has themes that he repeats because these themes are repeated in games every week. THere are a dozen running gags. He's the best football writer out there. And the funniest.

Don't get the impression I didn't agree with TMQ -- I did. I read him every week.

I thought it was predictable because I thought Dungy would get hammered for that decision: he can't win big games because he plays "not to lose" and too conservatively.

It's the Schottenheimer philosophy. Playing conservative can get you to the playoffs very reliably, but inevitably once you get there you will face situations that require you to take a chance. It's one of the things that Parcells and Belichick over the years have known how to do, when to risk going for it, and when to simply take the points. There are a lot of coaches in the league that don't seem to get it.

except for the fact that they were on their own 49, not the pats 49. and that punting there, when the offense had had problems all night and it was a 6-3 game-- in which the colts had kept their opponent out of the end zone into the third quarter in inclement weather -- was a wise move.

also, he says that the pennsylvania teams are 1-5 in the last decade. they are in fact 1-6 -- besides philly's three losses, pitt lost to denver, san diego, and the pats. and by the way, the broncos didn't lose to the colts because they blitzed. they lost because a) the colts are a better team and match up well against them, and b) because they played at indy and not denver. i like easterbrook, but he's full of crapola a lot of the time.