Impressions of Game day in New Orleans?

plenzmd1

Interested to hear what other folks thought.

We did brunch before the game, spent about 30 minutes at Champion Square, then headed into the Dome. I know I am biased, but missed the more traditional tailgate. No real tailgating at all here...saw some real big parties/tailgates on the walk over..and Champions Square was cool....and Lordy,there was BLUE everywhere..I am think at least 8, 000 Bills fans there. I dunno , just missed the regular tailgating experience.

As for the Dome...it is an impressive building. And they do a great job running the event. Concessions were well run, never waited in line over a couple of minutes. Bathrooms clean and efficient, could even feel safe washing my hands LOL.

But again, and I know I am biased here, missed being outdoors. Feeling I had on entering and really until kickoff was a hockey game. And I really thought the crowd was dead. Reminded me of the 90 s when the Bills would play a bad Rams team at home. A non conference ho hum win over a bad team and the crowd was not juiced for it....think that's how the Saints fan felt yesterday. Who were great to all the Bills fans, and I had a great time at the seat with all Saint Season ticket holders around us. Man they were just killing me in the second half..but all in good fun!

Only two or three third downs were I thought it was really loud.

Overall, the trip was great. Great town, awesome people, Saints fans were great, cool to finally see a game in the Superdome. But my preference would still be football outside!

Hope to see of you folks next week for the KC Game

Yesterday would've been a great day for an outdoor game- perfect weather.

I think the flat lot experience that you like is strong on the other side of the dome. If when going up poydras you had turned left and gone towards uptown there are several blocks that are 100% parking lot - though those are getting a bit more scarce with downtown developers buying them for condos to be built.

As to saints fans - I think many considered this a throwaway game against a weak Afc opponent whereas it was our biggest test. I noticed at tailgates, and in the dome people seemed to be late to arrive and a bit more social instead of focused on the game. It got loud a few times, like you said, but not consistent. I think fans were looking forward to hosting Dallas on Sunday night in a couple weeks and San Fran right after. Big NFC rivals and with road games at Atlanta and Seattle after --- that month is what everyone has circled as the litmus test. Buffalo was a chance to relax as a fan before that gauntlet.

It was interesting getting treated like a tourist in my bills gear. Lots of people thanked me for visiting and the jokes weren't too rough. Hopefully many of you guys were treated similarly well. Speaking to service industry friends and listening in on conversations it seems like buffalo was well represented and the locals did genuinely appreciate the upstate ny visitors. Sometimes not the case after a special event weekend, so it was good to hear.

Edited by NoSaint

the REFS SUCK A BIG ONE !!!!!!!!

so many missed flags on the Saints for hands to the face, it was infuriating

Tackle football is an interesting sport that way. Teams really cannot practice at full speed and with full contact or they risk too many players being injured. Even their non-contact practices are severely limited during camp. This makes the players very unprepared for the season in relation to other professional sports. Couple that with the very (in my opinion over) precise rules makes for a lot of penalties and generally sloppy play. I mean if an offensive lineman sneezes he will get called for a false start (probably the worst rule in my opinion).

I would bet money that if you had enough cameras to see every play on the field in detail you could find a penalty on nearly every play. Which leads to inconsistency in the calls and infuriation on the part of the fans and players.

I must have shouted "That's f*cking hands to the face" at least 5 times yesterday throughout the game. Girlfriend thought I was nuts. Glad I wasn't the only one...

LOL too true

any bad impressions I had about the QB being harassed were erased after I saw the highlights of the Seahawk Rams game.. the Rams were downing Russell Wilson like mad