Lets not lose sight of the big picture...

At 3-4, I've never been more optimistic about the future of the Buffalo Bills since this 13 years of rebuilding began.

And I can't help but wonder what the record would reflect if not for numerous injuries to significantly important and impact players. You have to admit, if nothing else, this version of the Buffalo Bills is entertaining. At times, a little too entertaining for this fans health and well-being.

Yesterday's result in Miami very well could have went either way, as every other contest that involved the Bills this season. Buffalo could very well be 7-0 this year. They could also very well be 0-7. And it really depends on the type of fan you are. Glass half empty? Glass half full? I tend to think of myself as a realist when it comes to the Bills. And as Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells once stated; " You are what your record says you are".

Truer words were never spoken. Especially when it comes this years Bills: 3-4. A record that reflects a team, rebuilding, and learning how to win. A team not quite good enough to win certain types of games against certain types of opponents. But a team that will one day stay healthy, hopefully keep its core together for a decade or so, and become a dominant entity once again.

One thing is apparent from this fan's perspective: The once mighty, dominant and bullying New England Patriots are on the downswing. They simply are fortunate right now to play in a division with 3 teams rebuilding in one shape of form or another. You watch the Patriots, and if #12 is not under center, they may not win another game all year. And even HE himself, is made to look average at best with the makeshift WR corp he fields his offense with. I look at New England as a team that when HE retires, will be where the Bills have been for over a decade now. I watched Ryan Mallett at Arkansas, if he's Robert Krafts answer to the future, Bobs gonna be drinking more than usual in his "celebrity owners box" for years to come.

That said, as a realistic Bills fan, when people start talking about this weeks matchup in New Orleans being a barometer for where our franchise is, i say you're completely nuts! We will, for the third straight week, be starting our 4th string, practice squad QB against a defensive coordinator in Rob Ryan, who by the way, has two weeks to prepare for said fourth string practice squad QB. Bills fans, including myself, are very schizophrenic after wins and losses. The fact is that the New Orleans Saints are one of, if not the best team in the NFL. Take away the "unicorn and show-pony" ending in Foxborough last Sunday, and the Saints are still unbeaten. More than that, they are almost unstoppable in the Mercedes Benz Superdome. I'm a realist. I expect the Bills to be humbled by Drew Brees and Co. on Sunday. But if that does happen, Bills fans shouldn't look for the nearest ledge to throw themselves from.

The future is looking marvelous here for the first time in years. Its not a facade with a QB that was one teams scraps like in years past (Bledsoe). This is a team with true talent that is being built truly from scratch. A rookie coach with a rookie QB and all kinds of talent on both sides of the ball.

There will come a day when the injury bug decides to bite a different city. When another squad is classified as "snakebitten"...and we, as a city and the most loyal of fanbases, will finally relish in a championship...

GO BILLS

At 3-4, I've never been more optimistic about the future of the Buffalo Bills since this 13 years of rebuilding began.

Well said.

In this QB dominated league, I can't help but imagining if we had solid(or better) QB play from a solid(or better) QB. What would our record be? This injury hobbled team directed by first time coaches would likely be at least 6-1 with a stable QB situation.

IMO there is good reason indeed to be very optimistic about the future of the Buffalo Bills.

While the OP makes some good points, I'd say I have been at least this optimist in each of our last 3 coaches tenures. For Mularkey it was going 9-7 his first year here and barely missing the playoffs. For Jauron it was starting off 2008 at 5-1. For Gailiey it was starting 2011 at 5-2. I, and many here I suspect, thought we were primed to take off each of those time, only to fall back to the ground.

I'm not sure what's different this time. We need to build on this. Something we've never been able to do in the last 13 years. When we do, I'll say Marrone is a good coach and we're on the way. 8 wins for me would do it. I hope you're right.

Not sure if the Patsies are on the down swing or not. At 5-2, they still look as strong as Nellie's breath to me. I'm sure they'll get a better QB than Mallet when Tom retires several yeas down the line.

I'm optimistic too. I always am when it comes to the Bills. But, I'm just not buying that it's "different this time", until it is (wins).

Edited by reddogblitz