Did the ball break the plane on the Marvin Jones "TD"

1B4IDie

I've been "read-only" here for years, but this thread forced me to post. A.R. 11.2 gives the example where the ball does NOT get into the end zone, but the runner does. He has established himself in the endzone and the ruling is touchdown.

That rule....

(A.R. 11.2 Second-and-10 on B18. Runner A1 takes handoff and runs down the sideline toward the goal line with the ball in his

outside arm. He crosses the goal line plane standing and gets his left foot down in the end zone with the ball to the

outside of the pylon.)

.....was referring to the player remaining in bounds while the ball is technically out of bounds(with the ball to the outside of the pylon.)......but still progressing past the depth of the goal line. In that situation, there is an assumed horizontal plane that travels out of bounds past the pylons. The touchdown is still called if the player has crossed the plane himself and the ball has crossed that imaginary plane(whether within the field of play or not).

As many have stated, the ball must cross the plane of the endzone for a TD to be official.

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people always say that but in this case your way off...the officials sucked and it killed Buffalo, the Bengals had three personal foul penalties that the tv guys thought were going against cincy- and didnt. Again not my opinion theres

s.

I've been reading that here after every loss for 13 years and counting.

Did you see 11.2 above? The ball never crosses the goal line (breaks the plane) but it is a TD.

In 11.2 above the ball does break the plane(around the outside of the cone). Different situation.

And you don't think that extrapolates to a wide receiver with feet in the EZ but the ball not breaking the plane?

Agree to disagree.

For about the 4th time on this thread, in 11.2 the ball breaks the plane and is over the out of bounds line.