For all the crap the front office gets

This argument just makes no sense. They re-sign the people that they feel are good values. Wood, Urbik, Stevie, Freddie, Chandler, Kyle, etc. all got new deals under this regime. They also sign UFAs that they feel can make an impact, you can't argue that they haven't done well with Mario and Manny Lawson.

Yes, they have $20M in unused cap space now. As has been hashed out on here, that space is going to get eaten up quickly with Wood's new deal and some of the other players that they need to sign after this season (Chandler & Carrington will be UFAs, Dareus will be in the last year of his deal, etc.), along with being active in the UFA market.

That $20M in cap space is perishable -- don't spend it this year and it disappears --- stop trying to rationalize that which is not rational --- Brandon-Overdorf-Littman -- should move Fitz dead money into 2013 NOW -- that would free the $10M from next year -- they should restructure Kyle Williams and sign A Williams to front loaded extension NOW --- while I agree they can pick and choose who to sign, they can't argue with simple math --- they have $20M they can spend now to lock up some of the players you mention or manipulate the future years cap hits -- they are doing neither

That $20M in cap space is perishable -- don't spend it this year and it disappears --- stop trying to rationalize that which is not rational --- Brandon-Overdorf-Littman -- should move Fitz dead money into 2013 NOW -- that would free the $10M from next year -- they should restructure Kyle Williams and sign A Williams to front loaded extension NOW --- while I agree they can pick and choose who to sign, they can't argue with simple math --- they have $20M they can spend now to lock up some of the players you mention or manipulate the future years cap hits -- they are doing neither

Actually, you have no idea what they are or aren't trying to do right now. They could be talking to any number of players about extensions at the moment and you wouldn't know; just as word didn't leak about Eric Wood's new deal until about 10 minutes before the team announced it.

You can grind your axe with the team's front office staff all you like; the fact of the matter is that they have re-signed far, far more players than they've failed to over the last 3+ years (dating back to Buddy Nix's appointment as GM).

Actually, you have no idea what they are or aren't trying to do right now. They could be talking to any number of players about extensions at the moment and you wouldn't know; just as word didn't leak about Eric Wood's new deal until about 10 minutes before the team announced it.

You can grind your axe with the team's front office staff all you like; the fact of the matter is that they have re-signed far, far more players than they've failed to over the last 3+ years (dating back to Buddy Nix's appointment as GM).

All either of us knows is the facts --- right now, there is $20M in unspent cap space in 2013 and a big fat $10M in Fitz dead money sitting in 2014 ---- I will go out on a limb and predict the Bills will underspend the cap by at least $10M in 2013 and keep that Fitz dead money under 2014 --- if they do that, you and the other Brandon apologists will see why I've been saying all along that this FO (Brandon-Overdorf and Littman) are handicapping the coaches and GM and preventing this franchise from being successful --- my beef is not with Marrone-Pettine or Hackett and it's not with Whaley --- it's with the FO -- B, O and L

All either of us knows is the facts --- right now, there is $20M in unspent cap space in 2013 and a big fat $10M in Fitz dead money sitting in 2014 ---- I will go out on a limb and predict the Bills will underspend the cap by at least $10M in 2013 and keep that Fitz dead money under 2014 --- if they do that, you and the other Brandon apologists will see why I've been saying all along that this FO (Brandon-Overdorf and Littman) are handicapping the coaches and GM and preventing this franchise from being successful --- my beef is not with Marrone-Pettine or Hackett and it's not with Whaley --- it's with the FO -- B, O and L

I love how I'm a Brandon apologist for simply pointing out the facts of the situation that run counter to your crusade. If you can give me one example of how the 3 you mentioned are financially handicapping the organization I'd be interested to hear it. The evidence doesn't support your theory. They have no trouble re-signing the guys they want to keep like Stevie, Freddie, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Chandler, Kyle Williams, McKelvin, etc. They let the guys that they don't feel live up to their free-market value go (Levitre, Poz, Whitner, perhaps Byrd--although I'd argue it was smart to franchise him this year). It seems like you'll only be happy if they spend up to the cap just for the sake of doing so; I'm not in that camp. Spend up to the cap if it's appropriate, and don't if it's not. The important thing is to get the right players in here and without exorbitantly over-paying at lower-value positions (i.e. LG). Pay the big money for the marquee positions like QB, LT, and pass-rusher when you find the good ones, and fill in the rest with quality players.

There isn't a correlation between cap space utilized and team record. The teams using the most cap space are the Giants, Steelers, and Rams...would you like to be them right now?

It's about value, not cap utilization; the better value the team gets per dollar spent, the better they'll be overall.

I love how I'm a Brandon apologist for simply pointing out the facts of the situation that run counter to your crusade. If you can give me one example of how the 3 you mentioned are financially handicapping the organization I'd be interested to hear it. The evidence doesn't support your theory. They have no trouble re-signing the guys they want to keep like Stevie, Freddie, Wood, Urbik, Pears, Chandler, Kyle Williams, McKelvin, etc. They let the guys that they don't feel live up to their free-market value go (Levitre, Poz, Whitner, perhaps Byrd--although I'd argue it was smart to franchise him this year). It seems like you'll only be happy if they spend up to the cap just for the sake of doing so; I'm not in that camp. Spend up to the cap if it's appropriate, and don't if it's not. The important thing is to get the right players in here and without exorbitantly over-paying at lower-value positions (i.e. LG). Pay the big money for the marquee positions like QB, LT, and pass-rusher when you find the good ones, and fill in the rest with quality players.

There isn't a correlation between cap space utilized and team record. The teams using the most cap space are the Giants, Steelers, and Rams...would you like to be them right now?

It's about value, not cap utilization; the better value the team gets per dollar spent, the better they'll be overall.

The concept is to allow yourself the maximum flexibility in future years, when you, correctly point out you have other players that you want to keep and should keep with expiring contracts --- why would you want the Bills to have $10M in Fitz money count against next year's cap ? --- at the same time, you and I and others will be begging the Bills to go out and sign a FA or resign Spiller, Glenn or A Williams --- I'm on a crusade because it's completely asinine to operate with this mentality --- think about it, next year the Bills have $120M to spend on player contracts --- because of a decision Brandon and the beancounters make, that number drops to $110M (charging Fitz's dead money to 2014 instead of 2013) --- that means $10M less to spend on keeping core players or $10M less to spend on FA's --- it doesn't make sense --- EXCEPT, except for the reason they are doing it -- to show a profit -- to prove to the other owners, to themselves that a team in Buffalo can make money --- there is not ONE legitimate football reason to do this ---

As for your points on spending to the cap and success --- I've said this before and will say it again --- spending to the cap doesn't guarantee you ONE win --- however, I am positive every person on this board would be pissed off if the Bills had their cap number lowered by the NFL to $100M --- just like Cowboy and Redskins fans were when the league gave them that penalty a couple years ago --- so, why are the Bills lowering their cap number on themselves ? --- again, my BIGGEST issue is Fitz dead money --- and spreading into next year ---

One other point --- would I like to be the Steelers and Giants -- YES, all day --- your talking about 10 SuperBowl wins and two franchises that are the standard bearers when it comes to consistency

Yes -- I'll take the 10 Lombardis all day and be 0-6 and 1-5 in 2013

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

You guys keep talking about a new regime. Brandon, Whaley, Overdorf, Littman, etc., etc. It is still the same old, same old

and it will always be this way until ownership changes

Flip a coin 13 times and it comes up the way you do not want it 13 times-impossible? Not at Ralph Wilson stadium.