Another nice statement on our society

OGTEleven

I saw this in the USA Today:

''I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.''

Link

Lucky for him he also now understands how a good team of lawyers can brow beat a judge into excluding "bad" evidence and including "good" evidence like the victims past sexual history. Lucky for him these exceptions are only made in certain cases such as his. We wouldn't want to have every rape victims name be made public and have her medical records for sale to the highest sleazy media bidder. That wouldn't be right. We should only do it to the ones that have the gaul to accuse a superstar like Kobe. That way their "fans" can call the victim with death threats. This will take care of any problems that the lawyers can't handle with the judge.

This case turned my stomach. I don't think any of the main participants in this case are heroes, but to me the judge is an even bigger culprit than Kobe (if that is possible). He was manhandled and manipulated right in to the results Kobe's team wanted. He has no business upholding laws if he can be intimidated into decisions and if he can't control the proceedings enough to at least not let the victims name be published on the internet.....TWICE.

As for Kobe's apology, how can he see that the victim would see the incident as non-consensual now when he couldn't before? He was there.

Here's another question: Why would he release a statement with that much detail publicly?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Link

Lucky for him he also now understands how a good team of lawyers can brow beat a judge into excluding "bad" evidence and including "good" evidence like the victims past sexual history.  Lucky for him these exceptions are only made in certain cases such as his.  We wouldn't want to have every rape victims name be made public and have her medical records for sale to the highest sleazy media bidder.  That wouldn't be right.  We should only do it to the ones that have the gaul to accuse a superstar like Kobe.  That way their "fans" can call the victim with death threats.  This will take care of any problems that the lawyers can't handle with the judge.

This case turned my stomach.  I don't think any of the main participants in this case are heroes, but to me the judge is an even bigger culprit than Kobe (if that is possible).  He was manhandled and manipulated right in to the results Kobe's team wanted.  He has no business upholding laws if he can be intimidated into decisions and if he can't control the proceedings enough to at least not let the victims name be published on the internet.....TWICE

As for Kobe's apology, how can he see that the victim would see the incident as non-consensual now when he couldn't before?  He was there.

Here's another question:  Why would he release a statement with that much detail publicly?

15727[/snapback]

SCATHING. Absolutely SCATHING commentary.

Totally justified. We'll never know the truth, I guess. sad.

Next up, the Freak (AKA Michael Jackson)

Can it get any lower? Yep.

Here's another question:  Why would he release a statement with that much detail publicly?

15727[/snapback]

Apparently, he's determined to lose the civil case.

Really, his statement struck me as awfully magnanimous and humble, basically saying "I was stupid before, I understand now the complexities of the situation, and don't fault her for it."

Apparently, he's determined to lose the civil case. 

Really, his statement struck me as awfully magnanimous and humble, basically saying "I was stupid before, I understand now the complexities of the situation, and don't fault her for it."

15804[/snapback]

There was an agreement that this statement not be used against him in the civil case. I don''t know for sure but I think Kobe making that statement was probably something she insisted on in exchange for refusing to testify in the criminal case.

Link

Lucky for him he also now understands how a good team of lawyers can brow beat a judge into excluding "bad" evidence and including "good" evidence like the victims past sexual history.  Lucky for him these exceptions are only made in certain cases such as his.  We wouldn't want to have every rape victims name be made public and have her medical records for sale to the highest sleazy media bidder.  That wouldn't be right.  We should only do it to the ones that have the gaul to accuse a superstar like Kobe.  That way their "fans" can call the victim with death threats.  This will take care of any problems that the lawyers can't handle with the judge.

This case turned my stomach.  I don't think any of the main participants in this case are heroes, but to me the judge is an even bigger culprit than Kobe (if that is possible).  He was manhandled and manipulated right in to the results Kobe's team wanted.  He has no business upholding laws if he can be intimidated into decisions and if he can't control the proceedings enough to at least not let the victims name be published on the internet.....TWICE

As for Kobe's apology, how can he see that the victim would see the incident as non-consensual now when he couldn't before?  He was there.

15727[/snapback]

You are giving a pretty broad interpretation to the word "past". The sexual "history" that was permitted was limited to sexual encounters she had, I believe, within the 3 days or so before she was examined at the hospital. This is clearly relevant information. For example, if the prosecution claims that there is vaginal bruising and that those bruises are proof of a lack of consent, then it would be relevant to know if they could have resulted from another sexual encounter. The fact that she may have had consensual sex with another male between the encounter with Kobe and before she went to the hospital is also clearly relevant.

As for leaks, these are virtually impossible to stop as long as the press can keep their sources secret. The OJ case, the Clinton-Jones case, etc. all were characterized by massive leaking.

There was an agreement that this statement not be used against him in the civil case.  I don''t know for sure but I think Kobe making that statement was probably something she insisted on in exchange for refusing to testify in the criminal case.

15910[/snapback]

In other words, you're telling me that I'm totally !@#$ing wrong.

Well...okay. I'm totally !@#$ing wrong. I can live with that. :w00t:

You are giving a pretty broad interpretation to the word "past".  The sexual "history" that was permitted was limited to sexual encounters she had, I believe, within the 3 days or so before she was examined at the hospital.  This is clearly relevant information.  For example, if the prosecution claims that there is vaginal bruising and that those bruises are proof of a lack of consent, then it would be relevant to know if they could have resulted from another sexual encounter.  The fact that she may have had consensual sex with another male between the encounter with Kobe and before she went to the hospital is also clearly relevant.

As for leaks, these are virtually impossible to stop as long as the press can keep their sources secret.  The OJ case, the Clinton-Jones case, etc.  all were characterized by massive leaking.

15946[/snapback]

Whatever. If the report I saw was correct, it was the first time the rape shield law in Colorado had been interpreted in this fashion. That's ok though, he's a big star and those three days prove she is a worthless slut that deserved what she got (at least that was the defense strategy, that the judge played into).

I agree that leaks are common, but leaks by the court published to the internet with the victim's name (TWICE) aren't that common as far as I can tell.

Kobe's "apology" was likely a bargain as you stated in the other post. What gets me is that an innocent man should never sign something that said "I can see now how she thought it was not consensual". The best that memo does is keep some vague possibility of weasling a "she's crazy" analysis by the Kobe sycophants. It sure doesn't smell right to me.

I admit to having formed an opinion on this before yesterday (strong, but not definitive). Those statements did nothing to sway me away from that opinion and everything to make it stronger. If the truth is that he raped her, the ONLY reason he was not convicted is because of the battering his legal team and the inept court gave the victim. Spin it any way you'd like but that isn't right.

P.S. Look at you defending the rich guy manipulating the system while I'm standing up for the rights of the hotel worker.