Marrone as former offensive lineman

RuntheDamnBall

Just thinking about this, this morning, and the impact it'll have over the long-term.

Obviously there are other coaches who have been OL, but it seems to me that this history, coupled with Marrone's demeanor, is really helping. OLmen, when they are effective, have to be in constant communication. They have to both address what is directly in front of them and sense what is going on around them. They probably like working quickly and getting off the field. With less time to set before the play, there is less time to make mistakes and overthink your role, and a more in-the-game mindset.

We've also seen the potential negatives of the no-huddle when 3-and-out comes, but the defense has really been up to the task. I think part of this owes to Marrone owning his position as the head coach - the coach of everybody - and communicating with Mario and the other defensive leaders as well.

Lastly, it seems like even though Marrone is the leader of this team, he respects the fraternity among players and doesn't lord **** over them. The way he conducted himself with regard to the death of his close friend is just another example.

I am really getting to respect this guy more and more.

It's clear he has a lot still to learn and there will certainly be challenges ahead, but I'm pretty confident that he is going to continue to hone his instincts and get better. It's good in a way that nothing has started out perfect -- the LG situation, the early QB injuries, and lots of rookies in the lineup are among the challenges he's already faced. But I like where things are going.

He doesn't seem to worried about being criticized either. Can't wait to see how the next few weeks pan out.

True. Linemen have to take constant critique, and make constant adjustments, FWIW. I suppose you might say this of any player, but it seems to me they are under the most critical scrutiny outside of the QB.

He s in his honeymoon period. If he keeps the team winning it will last longer. He seems to have the right stuff.

True on all three counts. What I do like is that no one seems to expect more of himself and of the team than him. It's not about hoping, or planning, or things going according to plan (which seemed to me to be the Jauron / Gailey model -- scheming and strategy), it's about his expectations, day-in, day-out.

It remains to be seen how he'll handle more things he hasn't experienced before as a head coach, but so far he is treating it not like the honeymoon period where they are going to have the ups and downs, but like the very limited opportunity that it is.

What I do like is that no one seems to expect more of himself and of the team than him. It's not about hoping, or planning, or things going according to plan, it's about his expectations, day-in, day-out.

so far he is treating it like the very limited opportunity that it is

Great points; a reporter asked Marrone if he was wowed by Mario's performance sunday, and he said "Well, we have very high expectations for our players here ... and it usually takes an awful lot to wow me" ... great stuff that indicates he does not put players on pedestals. They are all fortunate to make such a living, and they all need to put the work in to get better whether they are 57th on the roster or 1st.

Mario is an interesting case study, and right now, Marrone is coming up aces.

The yahoo clip of Marrone wired up vs Carolina shows just how hands-on he is with Mario (and everyone else he is in contact with) during the game ... much different than what we have seen here in the recent past. If you have not seen it yet, you owe it to yourself to check it out.