Was anyone there 40 years ago today,,,

I was there. Crowd was very loud in anticipation of first play in new stadium. Could have heard a pin drop as Mulkey crossed goal line. Bad omen. Never forget leaving stadium and hearing older guy (like me now) say well, "now we have a quarterback" Well we did in Joe Ferguson.

I also have coin. The story was there were many extra copies of those coins circulating around afterwards!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at the game but I did ride my bike from the east side to see the stadium the day before. I was 14 then.

PTR

That was nothing. I used to pedal my way to Crystal Beach on my 20" banana bike. (Anyone remember those?) Back then the customs agents thought nothing of letting me in. Can you imagine an unaccompanied 13 year old on a bike trying to get into Canada now?

PTR

You need a literary agent. You have a treasure chest of short stories just waiting to be written.

RWS is now #6, I guess. Would you consider the refurbs of Lambeau and Soldier Fields as new stadiums?

PTR

Without seeing the drawings for what actual work was done, I would say no, they're not new.

However it seems like the "core and shell" of Lambeau has remained largely intact while it seems like Soldier Field was largely rebuilt with only the colonnade preserved from the old stadium.

In both cases the field has remained in the same place but it seems like Lambeau retains more of its original bones than does Soldier.

Amazing that The Ralph is already the 6th oldest.

...when the Bills inaugurated Rich Stadium in a preseason loss to the Redskins? Though I missed that one (was in Montreal watching Henry Aaron hit homer 703 in Jarry Park), I was lucky to see a few of O.J.'s big games that year. It was a very, very different feel from the Old Rockpile, much as I liked that place.

Yes I was there with my Dad. I was 9 yrs old . To think back then the stadium was brand new and it seemed like EVERYBODY wanted a ticket.

We got there a tad late, we missed the opening kickoff return for a TD( by the Redskins).

I still have the Gold coin they gave out when you went threw the gates. :thumbsup:

Not at the game but I did ride my bike from the east side to see the stadium the day before. I was 14 then.

PTR

You mean, like, a regular bike? Like a huffy or something? That's a hell of a trip for a 14 year old. Kids today

won't even ride around the corner. Too busy playing Playstation and Xbosx. lol Times have changed...