Im not sure draft pick for Henry is much of a deal

Its nice to see folks now having a far more rational debate about what Henry would bring in a deal for him. The ideas spouted on TSW that this former starter who has gotten round 1300 yards in two seasons, and that he stinks as a pass catcher when he did have good receiving totals in the year our offense used him as a receiver, and also that he has unusual problems picking up the run-blitz (he's not great at it but his problems do not strike me as unusual for younger RB) were simply blown out of proportion by folks who seem to dislike him in my view.

However, the current debate still leaves me rather cold as the recent success of the Pats seems rooted in some great FA pick-ups more than it seems rooted in the draft. The draft is still immensely important for a team and is an important building block for a winner. However, the lower round choices like the 6th round Brady seem more important to me than the first rounders who get most of the attention in the NFL.

Further, the value of managing your salary cap so that you can get difference makers like Rodney Harrison to lead your team and the huge number of cap casualties the Pats acquired relatively late in their 2001 SB run season strike me as the key to their building a winner.

Thus, while it will certainly better to get a 2nd or a 1st for Henry )which doesseem possible) instead of a 3rd or 4th which seems more likely, both options strike me as not really addressing the key needs for my Bills team (and your's as well though you draftniks may not like it much).

Don't get me wrpmg. I'm pleased as pnch with what Evans has produced as a rookie and I think he and Moulds both make each other more effective. However, I think these performers are clearly the exception rather than the rule among players. I'd rather see the Bills get a role player RB in exchange for Henry who can help us win by not being the speculative star we hope will be the next WM in 3 years but by doing a less than outstanding role but bring experience to this team. The LaMont Jordans and the Tatum Bells interest me more in terms of our needs now than the future Curtis Martins and Reuben Droghans.

So I hope TD gets a good back-up role player back for Henry rather than a future prospect because I believe the future is now.

More often ends up being draft picks. I doubt the Bills would want a player in return. If you trade a player away, you're taking the hit on all the remaining salary cap, so thats why in NFL there are few trades with the exception of disgruntled players such as Henry. Having said that, the Bills will likely trade Henry and take hit on remaining cap, which in this case isn't too much anyway.

But for another team to return a player, then they also would be taking a cap hit. It could be that the other team was going to cut the guy anyway, so then you look at it and say, well we were gonna take the hit anyway. It likely won't be a high profile player so probably won't be a big hit for the other team, but still a hit. But then, if the Bills accept a player in return, they have to honer the remaining contract, or often increase it. I doubt any player would come to Buffal in a trade and take a salary cut. So in most cases, the type of player that the Bills would likely get in return, would soon be available as a free agent cause the other team was likely going to cut him anyway. He likely under-preformed, thats why he's available, so his value will go down. As a free agent, you could pick him up cheap, with low signing bonus, but as a trade you may pay more.

I give Henry up for no more than a second round pick. He is too good of a player to be giving away for cheap. I think the Bills are quite aware of this and will be patient until a potential deal comes through that is worth it.

FFS...LaMont Jordan is a UFA. I'll take a draft pick for TH and pickup a vet RB in FA. There are plenty to choose from to backup WM....

Joe Burns RFA Bills

Kory Chapman ERFA Patriots

Rabih Abdullah UFA Patriots

Lamont Jordan UFA Jets

Leonard Henry RFA Dolphins

Travis Minor UFA Dolphins

B. J. Sams ERFA Ravens

Chester Taylor UFA Ravens

Rudi Johnson UFA Bengals

Kenny Watson UFA Bengals

Verron Haynes RFA Steelers

Jason Anderson ERFA Texans