Help - "new" to FF and need advice on drafting reserves...

YoloinOhio

I haven't played FF in about 10 years but coming out of retirement this season. :) I have my draft tonight. I can take 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, 5 reserves. It is a pretty standard league (i.e. free). My question is, what should the 1 reserve be outside of the QB, DST, K and TE for their bye weeks? Should I go with another RB or another WR? Also, I saw someone mention to not draft a QB until around round 5.... is this a good strategy? I did a mock draft this morning and realized I could get Brady or Kaepernick that late if I wanted... not sure b/c I really want Newton.

Do not draft a back up D or K under any circumstances. Only take a backup TE or QB if your starter is injury prone ie RG3 or Gronk. I always draft 4-5 RB and 4-5 WR. Take two RB early.

Really? Ok... so, when the K or D is on bye week it is ok to just not play anyone there?

Do not draft a back up D or K under any circumstances. Only take a backup TE or QB if your starter is injury prone ie RG3 or Gronk. I always draft 4-5 RB and 4-5 WR. Take two RB early.

Also, is this because then you decide which WR and RB to play each week based upon which teams they are playing? Makes sense, if so.... sorry if I sound very novice at this. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Really? Ok... so, when the K or D is on bye week it is ok to just not play anyone there?

Also, is this because then you decide which WR and RB to play each week based upon which teams they are playing? Makes sense, if so.... sorry if I sound very novice at this.

I love fantasy football so I will be happy to assist. The reason I wait on bye week kickers/d/qb/te is that the level of waiver replacement is closer to what you will have than waiver replacements for wr and especially rb. Your team will be fluid and changing week to week so no need to get caught up with bye week replacements during the draft.

I love fantasy football so I will be happy to assist. The reason I wait on bye week kickers/d/qb/te is that the level of waiver replacement is closer to what you will have than waiver replacements for wr and especially rb. Your team will be fluid and changing week to week so no need to get caught up with bye week replacements during the draft.

OK - that makes sense! Thanks!

OK - that makes sense! Thanks!

Glad I could help.

With regards to drafting a qb I am certainly waiting unless there is great value. I am planning on RB RB WR WR but will deviate if Graham or Brees fall enough.

Also, with a draft this early I would not draft a K at all and probably not draft a D. There will be preseason injuries, I would rather take flyers on guys, and grab a D/K right before the season starts.

I haven't played FF in about 10 years but coming out of retirement this season. :) I have my draft tonight. I can take 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, 5 reserves. It is a pretty standard league (i.e. free). My question is, what should the 1 reserve be outside of the QB, DST, K and TE for their bye weeks? Should I go with another RB or another WR? Also, I saw someone mention to not draft a QB until around round 5.... is this a good strategy? I did a mock draft this morning and realized I could get Brady or Kaepernick that late if I wanted... not sure b/c I really want Newton.

Everybody has their own opinions on how to draft. Many people feel like there is 1-3 elite QBs and then probably 7-8 great QBs which is why it makes sense to wait around until about round 5 to take one. Where are you drafting? I don't think it ever hurts you to go RB, RB rounds one and two. They will be the foundation of your team.

I've stole another strategy a few years ago that's helped me with regards to K in that I try to draft one that has latest bye Week. That way I don't have to rush to get a replacement or if he sucks I can maybe replace him after a few weeks when some of better Ks might have completed the bye but are on the waiver wire because their own dropped them due to the bye.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.