in all seriousness

eball

i keep reading these "if losman isn't ready to play" posts, and it's just puzzling the hell out of me.

yes, he broke his leg and missed some practice time. but he was in every team meeting, watched every bit of film, got to pick the brain of sam wyche for an entire season, and practiced the last half of the year as the #2 QB. he'll have the entire offseason to continue working out and meeting w/ coaches.

perhaps i'm being overly critical, but if he's NOT ready to play this year i've got some serious concerns about his ability "upstairs." should he be able to step in and be an instant all-pro? of course not. but should he be able to step in and put up comparable play to what we've seen the last two years? god, i hope so.

to me, the only question is whether or not the coaching staff will really allow the QB job to be an open competition.

thoughts?

i keep reading these "if losman isn't ready to play" posts, and it's just puzzling the hell out of me.

yes, he broke his leg and missed some practice time.  but he was in every team meeting, watched every bit of film, got to pick the brain of sam wyche for an entire season, and practiced the last half of the year as the #2 QB.  he'll have the entire offseason to continue working out and meeting w/ coaches.

perhaps i'm being overly critical, but if he's NOT ready to play this year i've got some serious concerns about his ability "upstairs."  should he be able to step in and be an instant all-pro?  of course not.  but should he be able to step in and put up comparable play to what we've seen the last two years?  god, i hope so.

to me, the only question is whether or not the coaching staff will really allow the QB job to be an open competition.

thoughts?

203704[/snapback]

You can practice all you want. You can watch all the film you want. Nothing prepares a player like actually playing. The QB position is the toughest to learn. Most QBs are not worth a turd until their 3rd year at the earliest.

I think we can all agree that, at the very least, the job is Losman's to take if he is able to - that's why this offseason is so important for him. If he gets the playbook down and comes into camp ready to take control of the offense, no one is going to stop him - the job will be his. I'm really curious how the Kid responds this offseason, knowing that, with a little hard work, he can grab the reigns of one of the more talented teams in football.