(OT) Microsoft outsourcing - ARGGGG

Talonz

Ok, I have had a bad few days - My Primary domain controller at work crashed. The entire school was down today...NOT FUN..

Anyways, long story short -

After exhausting everything I could do I called in a very good tech, MCSE, CISCO, etc...After 3 hours he said " this is the last thing I would ever recommend, but call Microsoft, they will fix the problem ".

6:30 AM I go back to work and call MS .... After talking to the first person to set the call up and of course charge the school credit card, I was transferred to another person..

Well, here is the problem - Besides having a VERY thick accent , she was HALF A WORLD AWAY so there was a strange delay on the phone and her connection into my server SUCKED ( I have a full T-1 ). Anyways, I spoke to her during the server reboots and I came out and asked her - " Hey, are you in Redmond ? " ( MS headquarters), she replied " No, India"..

God, I was SOOOOO pissed... I even went on to ask her later if they have certifications in India like MCSE, etc. She said "well, kind of "...SIGH...

Anyways, it was 2 hours of hell that got me no where when she then transferred me to a very nice guy in N.C. who had a VERY thick accent as well..Southern :P heheh..

3 hours later he fixed me...

Anways, being in the IT field it REALLY pisses me off with this outsourcing...

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

MCSE... Must Consult Someone Else or

MCSE... Mine Cleaner and Solitary Expert.

My uncle works in Redmond, and my cousin and I give him crap all the time. My cousin runs the server side of the Human Genome project. (all linux servers) And I was a linux admin for a while, as well as wrote my own flavor of linux.

Ok, I have had a bad few days - My Primary domain controller at work crashed.  The entire school was down today...NOT FUN..

After exhausting everything I could do I called in a very good tech, MCSE, CISCO, etc...After 3 hours he said " this is the last thing I would ever recommend, but call Microsoft, they will fix the problem ".

6:30 AM I go back to work and call MS .... After talking to the first person to set the call up and of course charge the school credit card, I was transferred to another person..

Well, here is the problem - Besides having a VERY thick accent , she was HALF A WORLD AWAY so there was a strange delay on the phone and her connection into my server SUCKED ( I have a full T-1 ).  Anyways, I spoke to her during the server reboots and  I came out and asked her - " Hey, are you in Redmond ? " ( MS headquarters), she replied " No, India"..

God, I was SOOOOO pissed...  I even went on to ask her later if they have certifications in India like MCSE, etc.  She said "well, kind of "...SIGH...

Anyways, it was 2 hours of hell that got me no where when she then transferred me to a very nice guy in N.C. who had a VERY thick accent as well..Southern :P  heheh..

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

203637[/snapback]

Visit:http://www.nojobsforindia.com/

I can understand everybody's concern with IT outsourcing but oursourcing is not limited to IT and impacts nearly every aspect of the economy. Everyone is looking to cut costs. Sorry to see that you had a bad experience.

I own a software development shop in the US but my staff is in China (I used to work in Shanghai for a large US corporation).

But none of our jobs has been to replace people here in the states. In all cases, either there was not enough IT staff to perform the development or web designers did not wish to do the coding. The latter preferred design work over programming. We are a temp agency for software development.

There are certain functions that are difficult to offshore in IT, such as operations, but they can outsource or "re-badge" (EDS, IBM, etc.). I will give you my perspective of where IT offshoring, for the most part, is headed. If I were a US IT software professional, I would look to become a software design or architecture person. Designing and creating the specifications for an application are parts that companies want to keep "in house". Then passing them off to whomever performs the development and monitoring and checking those deliverables in the production environment are also important "in house" functions.

Just like foreign firms in Asia have become the producers of a great number of physical commodities for the US (and other nations), so will the production of software follow a similar vein. The US firms have become the so-called "brains" behind the design of products and the Asian firms are the "brawn". I have made generalizations and there are certainly exceptions to what I have stated but the world is getting smaller and certain adaptations are necessary.

Ok, I have had a bad few days - My Primary domain controller at work crashed.  The entire school was down today...NOT FUN..

Well, here is the problem - Besides having a VERY thick accent , she was HALF A WORLD AWAY so there was a strange delay on the phone and her connection into my server SUCKED ( I have a full T-1 ).  Anyways, I spoke to her during the server reboots and  I came out and asked her - " Hey, are you in Redmond ? " ( MS headquarters), she replied " No, India"..

God, I was SOOOOO pissed...  I even went on to ask her later if they have certifications in India like MCSE, etc.  She said "well, kind of "...SIGH...

Anyways, it was 2 hours of hell that got me no where when she then transferred me to a very nice guy in N.C. who had a VERY thick accent as well..Southern :P  heheh..

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

203637[/snapback]

I feel your pain...I am in the IT world as well and we are about to lose our jobs in 6-12 months....one of the hot rumors here is that our jobs will be outsourced to India as well...and it pi$$e$ me off too....so Im in the process of changing my career altogether, because it is NOT going to get better.

It sucks...I deal with it all day long as well.

Problem is, people in the US want a lot more money to do the same job as the people in India.  Its a matter of economics...and a damn shame.

203902[/snapback]

part of the problem is that CEO's VP and other higher up personell want to maintian there extreme wage scale and lifestyle.

Get rid of the many of these overpriced multi million dollar wages, bonuses and severence packages and all of a sudden there is more then enough money around to provide decent livings for locals