The intriguing Belichick flaw

AKC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't recognize the Milloy situation might have been handled better you're just not a very good student of the game. But then again- you are a Patsy bandwagoneer- we weren't able to locate more than 849 Pats fans nationwide before 2001! But it is very telling that you support the Pat's inability to make peace with Law. You're a real seer.

203989[/snapback]

Since thus far, it appears you don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me try to help you out. What got the Patriots into cap problems that year was that they got Ted Washington late in the pre-season. This was what created the problem. Belichick saw an opportunity to improve the team and he went for it. Milloy didn't want to take a pay cut (and I have no animosity with him over that), so the Patriot's exercised their right to cut him. Since the Patriots did win the superbowl last year, it appears the Belichick didn't handle things that badly for the Pats. Only Lawyer Milloy can say if his choice was the right one for him.

Parcells, on the other hand, crippled his franchise.  He released a decent young player in Quincy Carter, a quarterback who had taken the team to the playoffs and a 10-6 record just a year ago.  His replacement?  A Parcells crony -- Vinny Testaverde.

He then traded away Antonio Bryant, one of the league's best young receivers, refusing to play him over the likes of... yep you guessed it: Parcells boyz Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson.

Overall, I do think Parcells' style is effective as he has had a lot of success to show for it.  But the same applies for Belechick.

203514[/snapback]

you've gotta be kidding - quincy carter? he's horrible, and so shall he ever be. he was horrible for the jets this year too.

antonio bryant? one of the league's best young receivers? he's way too inconsistent for that.

Since thus far, it appears you don't have a clue what you're talking about, let me try to help you out. What got the Patriots into cap problems that year was that they got Ted Washington late in the pre-season. This was what created the problem. Belichick saw an opportunity to improve the team and he went for it. Milloy didn't want to take a pay cut (and I have no animosity with him over that), so the Patriot's exercised their right to cut him. Since the Patriots did win the superbowl last year, it appears the Belichick didn't handle things that badly for the Pats. Only Lawyer Milloy can say if his choice was the right one for him.

204101[/snapback]

You're ignoring the handling of the Miloy situation, where it was "srung" on the team within literally hours of the opener that Milloy would be gone, and worse yet playing aginst his former team in the first game. I understand you're a homer and you try to justify the piss-poor handling of this by diverting attention to whether the DECISION to let him go was justified, but I haven't ever suggested the reasoning was not, I specifically pointed out each time I mention it that it's the HANDLING of the release that was botched.

Law is the same thing- coaches with better people skills might just have HANDLED their best corner in a better way- regardless of the decision of what to ultimately do with Law, which you foolishly are justifying simply because he's been injured, the reality in the NFL over the course of its history is that it's better to take action in front of personell problems than to let them become public distractions. You'll say they don't seem to be distracting the team right now- I say in the long run the long history of personell disctractions shows that it hurts teams far more often than not.

It's an interesting conclusion to reach, and obviously in the short term it's not possible to refute it. It's over the long haul, and especially if the Pat's sustain and extrended period of balls bouncing the wrong way or if Adam Vinatieri explores his Unrestricted FA status this coming off-season and due to a "lack of sentimentality" your very best player leaves the team, where we will find out if Belichick is as sly as a fox even where he looks weak, or if he is indeed unable to manage human relationships as well as is necessary to attain "dynasty" status.

204024[/snapback]

um, since drew bledsoe was hurt, the pats are 54-13 including the playoffs and have two world champioships. if that doesn't qualify as dynasty, i don't know what does ...

um, since drew bledsoe was hurt, the pats are 54-13 including the playoffs and have two world champioships. if that doesn't qualify as dynasty, i don't know what does ...

204129[/snapback]

I'm guessing you didn't miss those little Pittsburgh and San Francisco runs in the 70s and 80s. That's a bit more dynastic than a couple of championships- if 2 is the measure you'd have to call Miami's back to backs a dynasty, surely a more difficult task than NE has achieved. I wouldn't brand Miami's two wins a "dynasty".

today rumors of bad blood between Richard Seymour and the team are brewing, supposedly based upon their desire for him to play Sunday and his desire to protect his knee for the future.

204128[/snapback]

What is this all about? I haven't seen or heard any rumors about Seymour's knee. Perhaps you can provide a link or source.

The truth is, you made up the "rumors" part. I heard what you're talking about on Mike and Mike on ESPN radio. They were talking about Abraham and how he might sit out this critical game to protect himself from further injury by coming back too early. Abraham will be a free agent at the end of the season.

They then mentioned Seymour's injury and wondered if he would do the same thing with the Pats. There are no rumors. There was Golic and Greenberg talking about it on the air.

What is this all about? I haven't seen or heard any rumors about Seymour's knee. Perhaps you can provide a link or source.

The truth is, you made up the "rumors" part. I heard what you're talking about on Mike and Mike on ESPN radio. They were talking about Abraham and how he might sit out this critical game to protect himself from further injury by coming back too early. Abraham will be a free agent at the end of the season.

They then mentioned Seymour's injury and wondered if he would do the same thing with the Pats. There are no rumors. There was Golic and Greenberg talking about it on the air.

204171[/snapback]

Furthermore,

You speak of looking at "outsiders" perspective, but there is a second side to that, which is the local/insiders perspective. You hear only the National Presses review on the "Handling" of the Milloy issue. The main reason for the 11th hour release of this was that they were in the proverbial trenches trying to work something out till the last minute. As it came down to the wire, there was no agreement between the parties, and the decision was made (one of the toughest ever as BB put it) to release him. Nothing was botched, or anything else. They went to the wire to try and make it work, and couldn't. Hence you see a last minute decision.

As for Ty Law. I blame 99.9999999% of the crap that went down on his agent as he's represented by the Poston brothers who are notorious for less-than-desirable tactics to say the least. I would lay good money down that the Postons, even though it is illegal, had a super high dollar contract lined up for him with another team and Law was trying to find a way out of his current one.

Yeah, I guess you're right. If Belichick had handled it better, maybe the Pats would have been undefeated last year instead of only being 14-2. After listening to your persuasive argument, I bet if Belichick had just said "pretty please" to Milloy and his agent, maybe he would have gone to the NFC instead of just taking the highest offer that happened to be from the Bills. :doh:

204171[/snapback]

I don't listen to their show. Lee Hamilton mentioned it on his show in Los Angeles yesterday. He's a former play by play man for the Chargers. It's not impossible he morphed the two but at the same he has broken a number of inside stories from his sources over time that have proven out.

I don't listen to their show. Lee Hamilton mentioned it on his show in Los Angeles yesterday. He's a former play by play man for the Chargers. It's not impossible he morphed the two but at the same he has broken a number of inside stories from his sources over time that have proven out.

204201[/snapback]

And one minor detail. While the Pats thought they were close to an agreement, the Postons were talking to Donahoe. When they realized Buffalo would top the Pats offer, they cut off negotiations.

While this was a clear violation of tampering rules, the smoking gun couldn't be found and the league dismissed the Pats complaint.

Furthermore,

Yeah, I guess you're right. If Belichick had handled it better, maybe the Pats would have been undefeated last year instead of only being 14-2. After listening to your persuasive argument, I bet if Belichick had just said "pretty please" to Milloy and his agent, maybe he would have gone to the NFC instead of just taking the highest offer that happened to be from the Bills. :doh:

204199[/snapback]

You might try reading the post you refer to one more time. I'm not discussing the DECISION, I'm talking about the HANDLING of decision. While a team is winning the disputes with top players don't necessarily appear as major distractions, it's when a team begins it's inevitable decline that those same flaws are exacerbated.

As for your current position in Belichicks lap- my girlfiend swears that you'll find it a lot more pleasant if you have him chug a glass of pineapple juice 4 hours before you get started ;-)

204201[/snapback]

Seymour still has two years left on his current contract. But don't let facts get in the way of a great rumor.

You're ignoring the handling of the Miloy situation, where it was "srung" on the team within literally hours of the opener that Milloy would be gone, and worse yet playing aginst his former team in the first game. I understand you're a homer and you try to justify the piss-poor handling of this by diverting attention to whether the DECISION to let him go was justified, but I haven't ever suggested the reasoning was not, I specifically pointed out each time I mention it that it's the HANDLING of the release that was botched.

Law is the same thing- coaches with better people skills might just have HANDLED their best corner in a better way- regardless of the decision of what to ultimately do with Law, which you foolishly are justifying simply because he's been injured, the reality in the NFL over the course of its history is that it's better to take action in front of personell problems than to let them become public distractions. You'll say they don't seem to be distracting the team right now- I say in the long run the long history of personell disctractions shows that it hurts teams far more often than not.

204128[/snapback]

you are using only 2 examples in your argument. It just so happens that the examples both have the same a$$hat for an agent, Carl Poston. So do you think it's a problem with the players or with the players agent? The Poston brothers are known for convincing their clients that they are worth more than they really are and seem to recomment that their client renegotiate their contracts or holdout. Now, you tell me who's not realistic and can't "HANDLE" the situation.

What about the other players that left for bigger bucks, were they misshandled too? I think Woody, Hamilton, and Washington left on good terms. The left because we didn't want to meet the expensive offer they had from other teams. Good for them, they are going for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow "WHEN THEIR CONTRACTS WERE UP".

you are using only 2 examples in your argument. It just so happens that the examples both have the same a$$hat for an agent, Carl Poston. So do you think it's a problem with the players or with the players agent? The Poston brothers are known for convincing their clients that they are worth more than they really are and seem to recomment that their client renegotiate their contracts or holdout. Now, you tell me who's not realistic and can't "HANDLE" the situation.

204259[/snapback]

Perhaps you're right- Belichick may also suffer from an inability to handle some agents well. We were lucky enough recently to see Tom Donahoe handle the reputed "difficult" Drew Rosenhaus pretty well in signing Willis McGahee.

I never said Quincy Carter was a great QB. If Parcells had found a solid replacement for him, more power to him. Instead, he replaced him with an aging, over-the-hill, way past his prime bum named Vinny.

That was a stupid, careless move on his part.

Antonio Bryant is a solid young receiver who has been in the NFL for only 2 years. OF COURSE HE'S GONNA BE INCONSISTENT! Receivers usually don't reach their true potential for 3 years.

you've gotta be kidding - quincy carter? he's horrible, and so shall he ever be.  he was horrible for the jets this year too. 

antonio bryant? one of the league's best young receivers? he's way too inconsistent for that.

204114[/snapback]

Over the short-term? What are you talking about? His approach has worked for 4 years. 4 years is an eternity in today's NFL, given the significant roster turnover year after year. He HAS proven that over the long haul, his approach works. You're just waiting for the Pats to have one losing season to feel better about yourself. You have an obsession with the Patriots due to your inability to just admit that they are better. You have posted numerous times trying to belittle Tom Brady's accomplishments as "circumstantial" or lucky... but I think most Bills fans who as you say are "students of the game" would understand that the Patriots are a model franchise and have set the standard for success. We can only hope to reach that standard.

It's an interesting conclusion to reach, and obviously in the short term it's not possible to refute it. It's over the long haul, and especially if the Pat's sustain and extrended period of balls bouncing the wrong way or if Adam Vinatieri explores his Unrestricted FA status this coming off-season and due to a "lack of sentimentality" your very best player leaves the team, where we will find out if Belichick is as sly as a fox even where he looks weak, or if he is indeed unable to manage human relationships as well as is necessary to attain "dynasty" status.

204024[/snapback]

You might try reading the post you refer to one more time. I'm not discussing the DECISION, I'm talking about the HANDLING of decision. While a team is winning the disputes with top players don't necessarily appear as major distractions, it's when a team begins it's inevitable decline that those same flaws are exacerbated.

As for your current position in Belichicks lap- my girlfiend swears that you'll find it a lot more pleasant if you have him chug a glass of pineapple juice 4 hours before you get started ;-)

204219[/snapback]

I know it's hard for you to figure this out, but my comment did address the handling. Please try again once you have a clue.

PS: You really need to lay off the crack. Remember, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Over the short-term? What are you talking about? His approach has worked for 4 years.  4 years is an eternity in today's NFL, given the significant roster turnover year after year.  He HAS proven that over the long haul, his approach works.  You're just waiting for the Pats to have one losing season to feel better about yourself.  You have an obsession with the Patriots due to your inability to just admit that they are better.  You have posted numerous times trying to belittle Tom Brady's accomplishments as "circumstantial" or lucky... but I think most Bills fans who as you say are "students of the game" would understand that the Patriots are a model franchise and have set the standard for success.  We can only hope to reach that standard.

204296[/snapback]

Damn shame that BB's only won 2 rings in 4 years. :doh:

Perhaps you're right- Belichick may also suffer from an inability to handle some agents well. We were lucky enough recently to see Tom Donahoe handle the reputed "difficult" Drew Rosenhaus pretty well in signing Willis McGahee.

204275[/snapback]

Ah yes, the amazing Willis McGahee....