Deacon Jones versus Bruce Smith

its is?? you think todays o linemen are faster than in the 60s or 70s???---you think the bills LBs today are faster than the KC chiefs LBs of the 60s 70s??? -How about the raiders LBs from 80s?--What Bills receivers on todays teams are faster than their 70s group?? Stevie would lose a 100 yd dash to JD hIll by 5 yards. Cj would give OJ a run for his money in the 40 but be blown away in the 100.This faster game stuff is a myth. the difference is that O line now averages 320 vs 270 back then. Its todays style---but was popularized by the early 90s Cowboys. These fat o linemen are certainly very effective and I can understand why they grow them these days.But they certainly aren't faster. The other positions there is no difference in speed overall.

The fact that you don't think players are faster and stronger as a whole tells me I should stop responding b.c I am being trolled.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that you don't think players are faster and stronger as a whole tells me I should stop responding b.c I am being trolled.

TCali acknowledged that players are bigger.

And he and Fig Newton opined that players are not faster than they used to be.

You might disagree but you aren't being trolled. Spend some time getting to know the personalities here…

Don't forget, someone mentioned him earlier, Ernie Shavers. The guy was a devastating puncher. Of course Joe Frazier but there were others like Kenny Norton and even Ron Lyle, that all were hard punchers but also could actually box. I would be shocked if anyone who was old enough to actually have witnessed this era of boxers and also saw Tyson's career/fights didn't think that Ali would absolutely dominate Tyson.

Right. Earnie Shavers. It's wrong to go on like this on the Bills board, but I can't help it. He's one of my all time favs.

With regard to his punching power Ali said "Earnie hit me so hard, he shook my kinfolk back in Africa". The great Larry Holmes " Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvass hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis." Ron Lyle "hardest I've ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember".

James Tillis " Shavers hit so hard he turned horse pi$$ into gasoline. He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes.I was in the land of make believe."

Now if only Kiko can hit like that!

So you think Tyson was a harder puncher than Foreman? I think that's a pretty hard call to make. Foreman absolutely destroyed Frazier and Norton and I'd say they were both way better than any of the chumps Tyson was knocking out.

Yes, I think Tyson was stronger overall.

I'm old enough to have seen both fighters fight. Foreman was a bomb thrower. He inside game was not as good as Tyson. Mike could knock you out with a body blow. Plus Tyson was a bull , non stop terror. Foreman was more passive but if he hit you with one on those haymakers, lights out.

I guess that's why Foreman is not raked as high as he should, sometimes he looked like he didn't care to much about boxing at times and boxing fans sensed it. On the other hand with Tyson boxing was all he cared about.

True Foreman killed Frazier but Joe was past his prime. Norton to me was a good fighter but wasn't all that great. Like I said in a earlier post I would have loved to see Tyson and Foreman go at it in their primes.

Sorry to go off topic but I used to loved boxing, not so much now but I still watch a fight evey now and then.

Most people rate Bruce the third best defensive player behind Taylor and Jones. And I still don't think they give Bruce all the credit he deserves.

Safe to say that most consider Reggie White better as well... Bruce, in my eyes, was better because of the fact that he played in a 3-4 d most of his career. He was double and triple teamed nearly every play!

Safe to say that most consider Reggie White better as well... Bruce, in my eyes, was better because of the fact that he played in a 3-4 d most of his career. He was double and triple teamed nearly every play!

I agree. And if that Bills team had managed to eke out a couple of championships, with Bruce's numbers otherwise staying the same, I doubt we would even be having the discussion.

Right. Earnie Shavers. It's wrong to go on like this on the Bills board, but I can't help it. He's one of my all time favs.

With regard to his punching power Ali said "Earnie hit me so hard, he shook my kinfolk back in Africa". The great Larry Holmes " Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvass hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis." Ron Lyle "hardest I've ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember".

James Tillis " Shavers hit so hard he turned horse pi$$ into gasoline. He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes.I was in the land of make believe."

Now if only Kiko can hit like that!

I've met Earnie Shavers. He nows works the door in bars in Liverpool (my hometown). Even though he's well into his sixties he still looks like a dude you really would not want to mess with.

I've met Earnie Shavers. He nows works the door in bars in Liverpool (my hometown). Even though he's well into his sixties he still looks like a dude you really would not want to mess with.

Liverpool?

Which Liverpool?

Whichever one that's weird. I thought Earnie was from the deep south.

Liverpool?

Which Liverpool?

If I'm not mistaken, I'm going by memory here, he was fighting out of Akron, possibly Cleveland, during the time he was fighting the likes of Ali, Ron Lyle etc etc. I think that he was actually a part time bouncer in between his bouts. I just googled Shavers and none of what I stated can be validated, like I said this is just by memory but I could be way off base.

Bottom line is that Shavers was the hardest hitting boxer that I have ever witnessed and that includes Tyson. During the '70's/early '80's I've watched more than my fair share of boxing. After this time the boxing game seemed to suffer and fade more and more, especially with the emergence of kick boxing and then the arrival of the MMA fighters.

Liverpool?

Which Liverpool?

Liverpool, UK. I think he is from the deep south but for some reason he's been over here for years.

Liverpool, UK. I think he is from the deep south but for some reason he's been over here for years.

Thanks. Maybe he's a big Beatles fan.

:)

Being a Bills board and all I thought maybe you were talking about Liverpool in Central New York.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm going by memory here, he was fighting out of Akron, possibly Cleveland, during the time he was fighting the likes of Ali, Ron Lyle etc etc. I think that he was actually a part time bouncer in between his bouts. I just googled Shavers and none of what I stated can be validated, like I said this is just by memory but I could be way off base.

Bottom line is that Shavers was the hardest hitting boxer that I have ever witnessed and that includes Tyson. During the '70's/early '80's I've watched more than my fair share of boxing. After this time the boxing game seemed to suffer and fade more and more, especially with the emergence of kick boxing and then the arrival of the MMA fighters.

Good stuff. You know your boxing.

First time I saw Shavers was on ABC's Wide World of Sports. At the time he was ascending in reputation and I think he was beating the crap out of someone.