Trip to Pittsburgh

Unless you ave to drive in it then it SUCKS !!!

Why? It is one of the best cities to drive around...Every part of the city is very well connected and there are two major highways PA Turnpike and I-79 going through the city (not downtown). The views from Mt. Washington are spectacular. The museums in the city are the hidden treasures of this lovely city (Carnegie Science Center, Natural History etc). Kennywood is a nice family-friendly theme park right in the heart of the city....

I've lived in Pittsburgh for about 15 years, and work downtown. There are a ton of bars near Heinz Feild and PNC Park. There is also a subway you can take (for free) that will take you under the river (or if the weather is nice you can easily walk over the bridge, I do it all the time) to Gatway Center. From there, walk into Market Square where Pramanti Brothers is (along with a number of other restaurants). If you want to go out for a nice dinner, I recommend La Tavola on Mt. Washington. Also, the view of the city from the lookout points on top of the Mountain are amazing.

The South Side does have a TON of bars, but most are packed with college-age kids. I would hit up bars either on the North Shore (where the stadiums are); downtown in the Cultural District, in the Strip District (also lots of good restaurants here, about 5 min cab ride from stadium) or in Shadyside. (about 10 min cab ride from stadium).

If you wear your Bills stuff like I do, expect to be harassed by drunken idiot Steeler fans, but most Steeler fans are nice people who will give you a hard time in a kidding/friendly manner.

Is Carson street a good area?

I used to live a few blocks from there, and was in my mid 20's, felt kind of old w/ all the college age kids around. That said, it is a cool street. Has a outdoor-mall like area around 29th street with an Irish Bar/restaurant, and Hafbraugh House (which I highly recommend). These cater more to those who like a good beer.

Don't go any farther than the William Penn Hotel.....it gets nasty past there.

Not exactly true. Don't go up past the William Penn, but if you go down toward the rivers you hit the Cultural District. Also, if you go up you end up by Consol Energy Center (Pens arena) which has gotten a lot nicer in recent years. But overall, not much to do in that area of the city (known as Uptown, or The Hill).

I just did a bar crawl down Carson this past weekend with the old crew from college (I went to Pitt, lived in the burgh for 3 years after, and then moved back to buffalo for work 4 years ago). The girls in our group made up a list of drinks we had to take down at each bar. Here was our lineup:

1. Carson City Saloon - a fish bowl of long islands

2. Local - a yinzarita - its a margarita with a corona shoved upside-down in it. pretty tasty

3. nakama - saki bomb

4. Marios - $2 blue moons

5. Caseys - $7 pitcher of Yuengling

6. Villa - shots of tequila

7. mullens - don't remember

8. library - don't remember

It was a heck of a time but I'm just now (Thursday) feeling normal again. Guess I can't hang like I used to. But pittsburgh is a great time you'll find something to do easily.

I just did a bar crawl down Carson this past weekend with the old crew from college (I went to Pitt, lived in the burgh for 3 years after, and then moved back to buffalo for work 4 years ago). The girls in our group made up a list of drinks we had to take down at each bar. Here was our lineup:

1. Carson City Saloon - a fish bowl of long islands

2. Local - a yinzarita - its a margarita with a corona shoved upside-down in it. pretty tasty

3. nakama - saki bomb

4. Marios - $2 blue moons

5. Caseys - $7 pitcher of Yuengling

6. Villa - shots of tequila

7. mullens - don't remember

8. library - don't remember

It was a heck of a time but I'm just now (Thursday) feeling normal again. Guess I can't hang like I used to. But pittsburgh is a great time you'll find something to do easily.

Nothing quite so socially acceptable as binge drinking.

:)

It's great that you guys walked.

Kudos.