Carlos Beltran free to sign with anyone

millbank

Yankees don't want Beltran. If they did, they would get him. Boras kept calling the Yankees begging them to bid for Beltran. Mets offered $115-$120 million for 8 years. That's too much for a .267 hitter, even for the Yankees. Beltran said it wasn't about the money and that he was very comfortable in Houston so he leaves for the NY Mets for $8 million more which evens out with the Astros offer after taxes? Right. It was about the most money and the Mets are now just bidding against themselves. Beltran= the next Bobby Bonilla.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His agent scott boras is asking for 100 million. Greedy Idiot.

199031[/snapback]

Sue...you have to be kidding.

The Yankees have no problem signing $100 million contracts, yet when its a guy going to the Mets, his agent is a greedy idiot.

Excellent objectivity.

Yankees don't want Beltran. If they did, they would get him. Boras kept calling the Yankees begging them to bid for Beltran. Mets offered $115-$120 million for 8 years. That's too much for a .267 hitter, even for the Yankees. Beltran said it wasn't about the money and that he was very comfortable in Houston so he leaves for the NY Mets for $8 million more which evens out with the Astros offer after taxes? Right. It was about the most money and the Mets are now just bidding against themselves. Beltran= the next Bobby Bonilla.

199137[/snapback]

Yeah, right. But if he goes to the Yankees, he's the next Willie Mays. :)

I love the Yankee fans perspective on the pursuit of free agents. The Yankees are always right when they overpay to get someone, yet when someone else is dropping serious coin on a free agent, the Yankees wouldn't have wanted them, they would have sucked, and that team sucks.

Oh, to see the world through pin-striped glasses. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

I love the Yankee fans perspective on the pursuit of free agents.  The Yankees are always right when they overpay to get someone, yet when someone else is dropping serious coin on a free agent, the Yankees wouldn't have wanted them, they would have sucked, and that team sucks.

Oh, to see the world through pin-striped glasses.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

199196[/snapback]

Make no mistake the Yankees would like Carlos Beltran, but there does come a time when even they have a limit , one could only imagine all the new diapers needed if they ever had signed him.......

The Yanks would like Beltran just not at 120 million. He is a greedy guy if money isn't the issue then why sign with a worse team than the Astros in the Mets? 10-12 million more over 8 years and with the NYS and NYC income taxes that will take even more away--moron! Listening to Boras was his mistake. I hope he is happy playing for a team that will be out of it in July. No pitching, no relief just 170 million tied up in two players. Nice job METS!!!!

Beltran would be a nice pick-up for 75-80 million. That is all he is worth. Guerrero got a contract for 75M last offseason and was the MVP this year. Beltran is NOT worth 45M more.

The Yanks would like Beltran just not at 120 million.  He is a greedy guy if money isn't the issue then why sign with a worse team than the Astros in the Mets?  10-12 million more over 8 years and with the NYS and NYC income taxes that will take even more away--moron!  Listening to Boras was his mistake.  I hope he is happy playing for a team that will be out of it in July.  No pitching, no relief just 170 million tied up in two players.  Nice job METS!!!!

Beltran would be a nice pick-up for 75-80 million.  That is all he is worth.  Guerrero got a contract for 75M last offseason and was the MVP this year.  Beltran is NOT worth 45M more.

199222[/snapback]

Omar is a very smart baseball guy dont be surprised to see them also sign Delgado, trade Mike Piazza for some relief and them be a very good team this year. Omar cannot do anything about what happened last year other than make sure another player who can make a difference does not slip through their fingers. In the New York market the Mets needed A-rod and backed off, then did same thing with Guerrero, Omar was not going to make same mistake.

Any place Beltran goes is no longer a dead end street.  The guy is a franchise player.  Too bad for the 'Stros.

199029[/snapback]

Disagree. Look at the Mets the last 5 years with what they have tried to accomplish with F/A signing. The foundation of a good team starts with the pitching and the bull pen. They singed Glavine and thats about it.... They signed Pedro and...... Again no bull pen. Pedro is a 6 inning pitcher at best. Glavine had a great career in Atlanta partly because of his bull pen and the fact that he is a great pitcher. My point being 1 out fielder isn't going lto turn this franchise around over night. It's a team sport and even if Beltran ends up going there it doesn't make a difference in their record at all. They will still end up under 500. Due to the fact that they have no relievers, middle relievers or closers. This team is sad and it reminds me a alot of what Daniel Snyder has been trying to do with the Redskins for the past 5 years. Pathetic!

So yes the New York Mets Are STILL a dead end street if Beltran is there. It doesn't make a difference at all.

Make no mistake the Yankees would like Carlos Beltran, but there does come a time when even they have a limit , one could only imagine all the new diapers needed if they ever had signed him.......

199205[/snapback]

Yeah, they already use all the diapers they can find on ARod...He probably would throw a fit if all the diapers weren't for him anymore :)

Disagree.  Look at the Mets the last 5 years with what they have tried to accomplish with F/A signing.  The foundation of a good team starts with the pitching and the bull pen.  They singed Glavine and thats about it....  They signed Pedro and......  Again no bull pen.  Pedro is a 6 inning pitcher at best.  Glavine had a great career in Atlanta partly because of his bull pen and the fact that he is a great pitcher.  My point being 1 out fielder isn't going lto turn this franchise around over night.  It's a team sport and even if Beltran ends up going there it doesn't make a difference in their record at all.  They will still end up under 500.  Due to the fact that they have no relievers, middle relievers or closers.  This team is sad and it reminds me a alot of what Daniel Snyder has been trying to do with the Redskins for the past 5 years.  Pathetic!

199239[/snapback]

Actually, I would equate the Yankees and the Redskins. The Yankees spend more money than anyone else and still don't win, both owners are jerks, and they both like over-the-hill and overpriced players. Sounds like more of a match to me.

Actually, I would equate the Yankees and the Redskins.  The Yankees spend more money than anyone else and still don't win, both owners are jerks, and they both like over-the-hill and overpriced players.  Sounds like more of a match to me.

199253[/snapback]

Um. I'm not a Yankees fan but talk to me in October.

The Yanks would like Beltran just not at 120 million.  He is a greedy guy if money isn't the issue then why sign with a worse team than the Astros in the Mets?  10-12 million more over 8 years and with the NYS and NYC income taxes that will take even more away--moron!  Listening to Boras was his mistake.  I hope he is happy playing for a team that will be out of it in July.  No pitching, no relief just 170 million tied up in two players.  Nice job METS!!!!

Beltran would be a nice pick-up for 75-80 million.  That is all he is worth.  Guerrero got a contract for 75M last offseason and was the MVP this year.  Beltran is NOT worth 45M more.

199222[/snapback]

Mets have no pitching? :):D

btw, how much did the Yankees pay for Giambi?

Sue...you have to be kidding.

The Yankees have no problem signing $100 million contracts, yet when its a guy going to the Mets, his agent is a greedy idiot.

Excellent objectivity.

199143[/snapback]

Being objective is not a requirement at TSW even when going off-topic. If Beltran signed with the Yankees tomorrow, you'd see opinions change so fast, your head would be spinning! :)

Being objective is not a requirement at TSW even when going off-topic.  If Beltran signed with the Yankees tomorrow, you'd see opinions change so fast, your head would be spinning! :)

199262[/snapback]

I'm a Yankee fan and I totally agree with you :D Some of the Yankee fans here clamoring that Beltran will be a bust or that the Mets are going to overpay have a touch of sour grapes.

I think Beltran would be a great fit in the Bronx, but Millbank summed it up beautifully, every team (even the mighty Yankee$) have their financial limits. And if Beltran truly does wind up a Met, then the Yankees decision not to make an offer has to do with their own budget rather than the man's talents on the diamond.

Beltran will be a great player for a long time. It doesn't matter where he ends up.

Being objective is not a requirement at TSW even when going off-topic.  If Beltran signed with the Yankees tomorrow, you'd see opinions change so fast, your head would be spinning! :)

199262[/snapback]

You sure would. Carlos Beltran is a hell of a ballplayer and the Yankees fans would love to have him, but when they know they aren't going to get him, the tune is "we don't need him" or "he's asking too much".

The tune would change if he showed up to sign with the Yankees tomorrow.

It would be another "brilliant" move by the Yankees.

You sure would.  Carlos Beltran is a hell of a ballplayer and the Yankees fans would love to have him, but when they know they aren't going to get him, the tune is "we don't need him" or "he's asking too much".

The tune would change if he showed up to sign with the Yankees tomorrow.

It would be another "brilliant" move by the Yankees.

199266[/snapback]

If the Yankees are able to find a way to resolve the Brown and Giambi contracts before Beltran signs with another team they certainly will sign him and even Delgado , fact is at present they are over $200 million a year in cotracts and with penalties and equalization payments they are around $300 million in player costs and this does rise with higher penalties and payments to players in the coming years. They put what they earn into team and not their pockets but even they earn only so much........

If the Yankees are able to find a way to resolve the Brown and Giambi contracts before Beltran signs with another team they certainly will sign him and even Delgado ,  fact is at present they are over $200 million a year in cotracts and with penalties and equalization payments they are around $300 million in player costs and this does rise with  higher penalties and payments to players in the coming years.  They put what they earn into team and not their pockets but even they earn only so much........

199277[/snapback]

Well I'm not saying they can afford him and don't want him, they could probably sink the money into him, but it's wiser for them to just leave their team as is, it's good enough to win the World Series with or without Beltran.

I'm just glad he's going to sign with a bad team and the Cardinals are now the favorite to repeat in the National League.

Whatever helps the Cardinals :)

It's official Met fans!! Beltran is a MET!! 7 years/119 Million.

Let the Met bashing begin, because we all know how everyone (especially Yank fans) love to rip any move the Mets make. Did the Mets overpay? Of course but to get someone of his caliber and with Boras as his agent the Mets had to do this. Not only do the Mets have a new TV network in the works for '06 to plan for, but they have to get the faith back in their fans and win them back. Delgado is next......

link: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/met...-span-headlines