Mad Men: season 6

Buftex

Forgive me if there is already a thread...coudl have sworn there was. but I will damned if I can find it.

Won't give any spoilers away, but I think this is setting up to be a very dark season for "Mad Men"...really missed this show.

Was just wondering, aloud, the other day "whatever happened to Linda Cardilini?"...oh my!

Edited by Buftex

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Megan Draper smuggling joints in her bikini? yes please

Roger Sterling bored with life and as cool and smug as ever? ohh yea

Great first episode IMO. More Joan less Betty though would be my only "beef". Lot o new mustaches this year, Pete and Harry's new do's are something else.

Mad Men still top 3 easily......

Megan Draper smuggling joints in her bikini? yes please

Roger Sterling bored with life and as cool and smug as ever? ohh yea

Great first episode IMO. More Joan less Betty though would be my only "beef". Lot o new mustaches this year, Pete and Harry's new do's are something else.

Mad Men still top 3 easily......

Yeah..if I had any quibble, it was the storyline for Betty. If she would have had a badge, it might have been like a alternative universe episode of "Dragnet"!

I don't hate the character like most people, but if kind of felt like "well, we have a contract with her, we gotta pay January Jones, so we have to find a story for her". Of course, that is after just one week...the writing on this show is pretty brilliant most of the time, so it will all likely be relevant by the end of the season. The fact that JJ is back to her old slim self in real life, and is wearing a smaller "fat suit" than last season is kind of cool. Its' like putting on the weight has become a part of her character, not just a plot device to get around her real life pregnancy.

Through Don, and Betty to a degree, they seem to be exploring some of the issues of dealing with becoming middle aged, in a slightly deeper way than you normally see on tv. If you haven't been through it, while it isn't all bad, it isn't all fun either! Will be interesting to see if Betty casts off her upper -crust life and joins the counter-culture! :lol:

BTW- speaking of Christna Hendricks, how about those Johnnie Walker Black (Johnnie Walker Red?) ads that ran through the show...whoa!

Edited by Buftex

Anything Christina Hendricks and I am in.......love her attitude and the way she talks........among other positive attributes.

agree with you on the writers as we will have to give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Betty.

I noticed a lot of twitter last night thought Peggy was turning into Don......she's definetly got a new edge to her

o-ELISABETH-MOSS-GQ-570.jpg?7

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I admit that I thought I had missed an episode or something. I know MM will do some time jumps and introduce new charcaters as if they have always been there, but I was "WTF" almost the entire episode.

WTF was Fat Betty rambling on about to Henry? What kind of pillow talk was that? Beeatch would have gotten a backhand for that.

I assume we were watching New Years 1968?

Edited by TheMadCap

• 3 weeks later...

Great episode tonight...Don's conversation about being a father really hit home..I am not a father, but I can apply the same thing he said to so many things....I think it is more common, but you rarely hear anyone (especially on tv) put it into words..

Also loved the "Planet Of the Apes" scene...that movie meant a whole lot to me, glad that Weiner and company recognized its' cultural significance.

btw- stay tuned for the series premiere of "Rectify" afterwards. It is a new Sundance Chanel series that they debuted on AMC after Mad Men, to give it a wider audience I would presume. It was really good...from the producers of "Breaking Bad". Its' about a guy who gets off of death row after 19 years, and trying to fit back into the real world. Stunning to look at...very cinematic quality. The actress who plays the man guys' sister is super foxy! She is the same girl who played the school teacher that Draper had a fling with, way back, on "Mad Men"... they are showing the second and third episodes on Sundance tomorrow...I will definitely watch some more. Only bummer is, my cable doesn't have Sundance in HD! Stupid!

Edited by Buftex

good episode for sure..........loved the bert cooper fight breakup between harry and pete scene. Joan looked amazing at that awards show, kinda envious of cosgrove as he got to console her a bit after the bad news sombered the party.

Peggy/Elizabeth Moss keeps bringing it as well......she sure has came a long way since season one. Michael Ginsberg's set up date by his father was pretty awesome as well. Mad Men continues to be top 3 show on tv.

good episode for sure..........loved the bert cooper fight breakup between harry and pete scene. Joan looked amazing at that awards show, kinda envious of cosgrove as he got to console her a bit after the bad news sombered the party.

Peggy/Elizabeth Moss keeps bringing it as well......she sure has came a long way since season one. Michael Ginsberg's set up date by his father was pretty awesome as well. Mad Men continues to be top 3 show on tv.

I really love this show as well...but I have to admit, I have been a little underwhelmed thus far this season. This past episode was the first one that I thought was really good. But, as I always have to remind myself. best to judge the show as a whole, rather than an episode by episode pace.

Great episode tonight...Don's conversation about being a father really hit home..I am not a father, but I can apply the same thing he said to so many things....I think it is more common, but you rarely hear anyone (especially on tv) put it into words..

That was one, if not the, most powerful deep revelations by Don in the entire series. While most parents aren't as emotionally scarred or detached as Don, I completely understood what he was saying about the range of conflicting emotions toward your children. It's another piece of real life that isn't the fairytale we're told it's supposed to be by so many, including -- ironically enough -- Madison Avenue.

I really love this show as well...but I have to admit, I have been a little underwhelmed thus far this season. This past episode was the first one that I thought was really good. But, as I always have to remind myself. best to judge the show as a whole, rather than an episode by episode pace.

I agree the season got off to a slow start, especially the first episode. I thought things started picking up in the 3d week with Peggy and Don's affair and really enjoyed the last two episodes. There is certainly a dark undercurrent to this season; Don is like a drowning man and it feels like he's ready to go under for the second time this season. I sense his world is about to start coming apart again.

Edited by KD in CT

That was one, if not the, most powerful deep revelations by Don in the entire series. While most parents aren't as emotionally scarred or detached as Don, I completely understood what he was saying about the range of conflicting emotions toward your children. It's another piece of real life that isn't the fairytale we're told it's supposed to be by so many, including -- ironically enough -- Madison Avenue.

I agree the season got off to a slow start, especially the first episode. I thought things started picking up in the 3d week with Peggy and Don's affair and really enjoyed the last two episodes. There is certainly a dark undercurrent to this season; Don is like a drowning man and it feels like he's ready to go under for the second time this season. I sense his world is about to start coming apart again.

I am not sure if is off to a slow start, or a poor start...there have definitely been some good moments so far, but, it is feeling a little ramshackle or random. I don't mind dead end stories when they add to the characters personalities, but there just hasn't been much to sink your teeth into this season. I kind of feel like they may have gone to the well one too many times with the "crafty Draper" saves the company scenario... the whole scene at the end with Don, Ted Chaw and Peggy just felt a little false to me. Unless Don is already half way out the door, and we just don't know it yet.

I think what is missing, for me anyways, is some sort of first hand perspecitive of where Dons' mind-set is. His character is always different, and reacts in ways you might not always expect...but you used to know where it was coming from. Now, it just seems like a collection of scenes without a lot of threads tying them together. Without the threads, characters like Pete become more irrititating than interesting.

I have also been thinking they have been trying a little too hard to force historical referneces into the storyline...and I used to think they did it seamlessly, like it didn't detract from the script. I wonder if Weiner and company had intended this angle from the outset of the series...I have my doubts. The JFK assasination episode packed a wallop (one of the best hours of the show) but I wonder if it didn't make the writers "too aware" of history. It seems like they are already laying out the groundwork for the RFK assasination...

Maybe I am just being too nit-picky, but I hold this show in the elite category... perhaps the new "merger" will invigorate things...but this has not been my favorite season so far.

Edited by Buftex

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if is off to a slow start, or a poor start...there have definitely been some good moments so far, but, it is feeling a little ramshackle or random. I don't mind dead end stories when they add to the characters personalities, but there just hasn't been much to sink your teeth into this season. I kind of feel like they may have gone to the well one too many times with the "crafty Draper" saves the company scenario... the whole scene at the end with Don, Ted Chaw and Peggy just felt a little false to me. Unless Don is already half way out the door, and we just don't know it yet.

I think what is missing, for me anyways, is some sort of first hand perspecitive of where Dons' mind-set is. His character is always different, and reacts in ways you might not always expect...but you used to know where it was coming from. Now, it just seems like a collection of scenes without a lot of threads tying them together. Without the threads, characters like Pete become more irrititating than interesting.

I have also been thinking they have been trying a little too hard to force historical referneces into the storyline...and I used to think they did it seamlessly, like it didn't detract from the script. I wonder if Weiner and company had intended this angle from the outset of the series...I have my doubts. The JFK assasination episode packed a wallop (one of the best hours of the show) but I wonder if it didn't make the writers "too aware" of history. It seems like they are already laying out the groundwork for the RFK assasination...

Maybe I am just being too nit-picky, but I hold this show in the elite category... perhaps the new "merger" will invigorate things...but this has not been my favorite season so far.

Speak of the devil.....I've liked the way they wove historical events not the series for the most part (agreed on the JFK -- crazy good episode), but thought the MLK episode was a bit forced. We caught up on the last two episodes last which were pretty entertaining. The dom/submission thing in the hotel was revealing, and with an unexpected outcome. Don pushed a little too hard? You don't hear him say 'please' too often, but I won't read more into that than him just not wanting to lose control -- control being his insatiable need in all aspects of life.

Ther merger was pretty easy to spot once Don and Ted started chatting in the Detroit bar. Convenient way to get everyone back together and good for some humorous moments. I do miss the Don/Peggy interaction so am looking forward to seeing that continue. Clearly she's not loving the new arrangement and there's certain to be culture clashes due to the opposite styles of Don and Ted.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...so the last 3 episodes or so are starting to feel almost like "Mad Men" again... though I never would have bet on it happening, and would have been completely opposed to it if i were in on the creative meetings for this show, I loved the Don/Betty tryst... back to back weeks where Don is left feeling like he has been used, instead of the other way around. I still think Betty can be a great character, when they write her better storylines...

Crazy theory out there tha Megan is going to end in violence. Not saying I buy it at all, but there have been numerous moments of "foreshadowing" that something bad is going to happen to her. Not unlike Lain Price Theory takes notice of all the sirens heard in the backround when Megan has a scene... the fact that they referenced her forgettnig to lock the door a few times (how Sally's "grandmother" got in the apartment), the fact that they keep makeing us aware of the ever-increasing danger on the streets of NYC...and then, the nail in the coffin, so to speak: Don goes out to the balcony to talk with Megan, standing in her panties and a t-shirt...lots of sirens in the backround, and the t-shirt she is wearing (the red star) is the same iconic t-shirt that Sharon Tate (one of the Manson family victims...Roman Polanskis' wife) wore in a famous photo-shoot for Esquire, shortly before her death.

It's definetly back.....the Ginsberg/Harry Hamlin fight was awesome.....Betty and Don tryst......Joan's power play with Avon were all fun to watch.

Rogers still the man....."bring us 2 and pour one for the pilot"

Not so sure I like Ted but everyone else is amazing IMO....this includes downtrodden Pete Campbell all the way down to drapers new secretary.

Wow...Don broke his daughters' heart...he is on a roll... great episode last night. Of course Don isn't helping Sylvias kid (Mitchell?) dodge the draft becuase he empathizes with him, or even cares about him...he is doing it just to get back into Sylvia's realm..very interesting psychological stuff going on here.

And, I guess we know a little more about Bob Benson now?

Wow - no doubt that is no coincidence!

Latest theory out there seems to be that Megan is already dead...ala the "Sixth Sense"....just silly stuff. I am wondering if Weiner and company love jerking people around so much with this stuff. Apparently (though I can't say I really remember most of the examples the guy gives) there have been numerous scenes this season where Don appears oblivious to Megans' prescence...like physically oblivious. Might be an interesting theory, but I don't buy it for a second...it wouldn't explain all the scenes of Megan at work...Megan being hit on by the bosses wife....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again,

Damn it Draper, you shmuck!

Yeah... that shot of Sally on the other side of the door as he gives her his pathetic excuse was really powerful. That moment a kid realizes their parent is not who they thought they were.

I think I love Peggy now....the scene where Stan informed her he's not her boyfriend was pretty awesome.

The Draper/Ted battle/"the favor" was fun to watch as well...Draper responding to Teds onslaught was cracking me up.

The bob benson and Sally draper walk in is just too much to process....so much going on here

Kudos to the doorman....that guy is great. What a shmoozer.

Edited by Ryan L Billz