Travis Henry vs. Shaud Williams

In 2004, Travis Henry had 94 carries for 326 yards and 3.5 yards a carry. Shaud Williams had 42 attempts for 167 yards and 4.0 yards a carry. Williams had two touchdowns, Henry had none. Based just on what we saw in 2004, I'd say Henry would be our third string back if he wasn't traded.

Im with ya on the yards per carry..but when it comes to strength and straight up pounding the ball..if we were to keep henry, reguardless on his attitude and what he thinks about his role..I would still have henry backing up Willis. In my opinion Shaud doesn't have what opposing defenses are afraid of, and that's a smash mouth attiude..he's more a finesse runner..DON"T GET ME WRONG shaud williams has played great when called upon, the kid is very fast, and can juke a move or 2..but you can only run to the outside soo many times..

shaud's a great change up back. He's not a guy to carry the load for an extended period of time though. I'd like to see a bigger guy drafted, or a second tier FA to come in and back up willis. Anyone who sees henry here next season needs his head checked. The guy wants out and he still has value now. Guys that want out with rapidly declining value are as good as gone if you ask me.

shaud's a great change up back.  He's not a guy to carry the load for an extended period of time though.  I'd like to see a bigger guy drafted, or a second tier FA to come in and back up willis.  Anyone who sees henry here next season needs his head checked.  The guy wants out and he still has value now.  Guys that want out with rapidly declining value are as good as gone if you ask me.

198423[/snapback]

Great post!

Let's say that McGahee got injured for 8 games next season. That leaves you with Shaud Williams and Joe Burns. Burns is a power runner, and Williams is more of a finesse guy. They'd make a good one-two punch for backups. TD shouldn't use a high draft pick on a RB--we have too many other needs--and he should only use a lower round pick on a RB if the right guy is there.

Let's say that McGahee got injured for 8 games next season. That leaves you with Shaud Williams and Joe Burns. Burns is a power runner, and Williams is more of a finesse guy. They'd make a good one-two punch for backups. TD shouldn't use a high draft pick on a RB--we have too many other needs--and he should only use a lower round pick on a RB if the right guy is there.

198451[/snapback]

:devil: You didn't seriously advocate a backfield of Williams and Burns shouldering the load for half a season, did you?

I'm sorry but loading up stats against Cleveland and SF do not make you ready for Prime Time. Burns is an EXTREMELY limited offensive player and will likely not make next season's roster (if he does it'll be because of his special team's value - and he'll need to take a pay cut. I doubt we even make him a qualifying offer because that's too much money).

Williams has struggled to make the first man miss and will never be an every down back in the NFL.

A good one-two punch? Nope.

I like Shaud as a backup, but didn't a lot of his yards in 2004 come in garbage time against weak teams?  The Cleveland game comes to mind.

198399[/snapback]

I agree, look at our schedule the last 5 games of the season and you'll see Williams certainly wasn't tested against anybody good. At least with Henry, we know what we've got, a hard runner and former Pro-Bowl RB.

:devil:  You didn't seriously advocate a backfield of Williams and Burns shouldering the load for half a season, did you?

I'm sorry but loading up stats against Cleveland and SF do not make you ready for Prime Time.  Burns is an EXTREMELY limited offensive player and will likely not make next season's roster (if he does it'll be because of his special team's value - and he'll need to take a pay cut.  I doubt we even make him a qualifying offer because that's too much money). 

Williams has struggled to make the first man miss and will never be an every down back in the NFL.

A good one-two punch?  Nope.

198463[/snapback]

I'm not "advocating" it, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be an outright disaster. Any time your starter goes down, you have to expect a lower level of play. Look what happened when Milloy went down. Better to build strength at starting positions like left guard before you get too involved in upgrading depth at RB.

I'm not "advocating" it, I'm just saying that it wouldn't be an outright disaster. Any time your starter goes down, you have to expect a lower level of play. Look what happened when Milloy went down. Better to build strength at starting positions like left guard before you get too involved in upgrading depth at RB.

198493[/snapback]

Bill Belichick doesn't. His team had far worse injuries than we did, having to resort to a WR playing in the secondary. Yet his team finished 14-2.

As far as building depth, it's not an either/or proposition. There will be plenty of players available to choose from. The secret is choosing wisely.

Shaud Williams, when he's played, has played well. He played lights-out in the preseason.

198606[/snapback]

Yeah, I especially liked the "stand there while Drew tosses the ball at your melon" play against the Steelers. That'll probably never fade from my memory.

Preseason? Yeah, we need another preseason all pro. <_<

I sincerely hope you're right about him - but he's got a LONG way to go before I'd entrust him with the #2 tailback slot on the depth chart in the NFL.

Yeah, I especially liked the "stand there while Drew tosses the ball at your melon" play against the Steelers.  That'll probably never fade from my memory.

Preseason?  Yeah, we need another preseason all pro.  <_<

I sincerely hope you're right about him - but he's got a LONG way to go before I'd entrust him with the #2 tailback slot on the depth chart in the NFL.

198625[/snapback]

When Willis walked off the field and Shaud Williams came on, did you feel, "oh my gosh, there goes our running game."? I didn't. Did you say, "Gee, I'm counting the days until Travis comes back and upgrades our backup RB position."? It didn't seem like that big a deal to me when Travis came back, because Shaud was doing just fine as backup RB.

That is a TERRIBLE comparison. Shaud Williams got almost all of his yards in GARBAGE time. Williams isn't even in the same league as Henry.

198589[/snapback]

You are exactly right. To even compare Williams to Henry one would have to be a clueless homer or smoking an awful lot of weed