soccer - USMNT in the hex

Cugalabanza

More WC qualifying.

3/22 at 10pm ET vs. Costa Rica in Commerce City, CO

3/26 at 10:30pm ET at Mexico (estadio Azteca)

Both games on ESPN.

The first one this Friday night against Costa Rica is huge. Need a win because a loss is the most likely result next week in Mexico City. Klinsmann will be announcing the U.S. roster at some point today. Need to do much better than last month in Honduras.

Edited by gringo starr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa – 5/3 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire – 0/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake – 0/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake – 0/0), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City – 0/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City – 6/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy – 1/0), Clarence Goodson (Brondby – 5/0), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes – 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla – 26/6), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake – 2/0), Michael Bradley (Roma – 20/5), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana – 1/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor – 10/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 – 6/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht – 13/0), Brek Shea (Stoke City – 2/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City – 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar – 18/6), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna – 2/0), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur – 27/11), Herculez Gomez (Santos – 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC – 12/10)

Kinda scary, especially on defense. Lots of injuries right now limited who could get called in.

Some drama going on in the last couple days. On Tuesday, the Sporting News dropped this article with anonymous statements from a few USMNT players suggesting dissatisfaction with coach Klinsy and the state of the team...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-03-19/jurgen-klinsmann-us-mens-soccer-coach-national-team-usa-american-world-cup-2013

Since then, some key players have come out in defense of Klinsmann (Carlos Bocanegra, Tim Howard, Michael Bradley, Hercules Gomez and Geoff Cameron)...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2013-03-20/us-mens-national-soccer-team-rift-response-jurgen-klinsmann-world-cup-qualifying

I’ve been following this and overall I get positive vibes from the whole thing. I love the statements from Howard, Bocanegra and Bradley. These are the guys who have been leaders from the Bob Bradley era to now. They seem to be all in. And I particularly love what Hercules Gomez had to say, that this kind of scrutiny and attention can only help because it shows that at least people in the country care about their team.

Anyway, bring on Costa Rica tomorrow night. I can’t wait.

Here's the roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa – 5/3 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire – 0/0), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake – 0/0)

DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake – 0/0), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City – 0/0), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City – 6/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy – 1/0), Clarence Goodson (Brondby – 5/0), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes – 0/0)

MIDFIELDERS (9): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla – 26/6), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake – 2/0), Michael Bradley (Roma – 20/5), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana – 1/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor – 10/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 – 6/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht – 13/0), Brek Shea (Stoke City – 2/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City – 4/0)

FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar – 18/6), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna – 2/0), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur – 27/11), Herculez Gomez (Santos – 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC – 12/10)

Kinda scary, especially on defense. Lots of injuries right now limited who could get called in.

Whoa, I must be more out of the loop than I thought....I read through that roster and this came to mind...

Wow...what a joke.

Here's what says it all from Klinsmann's perspective...

Klinsmann made his opinion clear Sunday. He believes the U.S. will qualify for the World Cup and that his job is to identify the players with the talent, fortitude and commitment to meet the standard set by the sport’s elite nations. Catching up requires extra work and a ton of motivation. Comprehension and chemistry start from within.

“This is what we’re trying to tell them. This is what we’re trying to introduce to them. They’re challenged,” he said. “Some guys are out of their comfort zone, absolutely. It’s not actually the coach that has to adjust to the players, to kind of think about it, ‘How do I communicate it perfectly (and) correctly to the players?

“It’s actually the players’ job to take the information from the coach, with whatever personality the coach has and let it kind of sink into his own system. ... Now, I have to implement it in my own way. It’s a learning process, and that’s fine.

“It’s never going to happen if you don’t start doing it.”

And then this is what said it all in terms of the player's perspective...

“We do all this stuff. OK, it’s good for us and it’s scientifically proven. But in the end it’s a round ball. The Pelés and the Maradonas in the world weren’t doing all these things,” a U.S. player said.

The Peles and the Maradonas? Are you f'ing kidding me? Whoever said this should be cut immediately...and some of these guys need to get a clue. Maybe go rent the movie "Miracle", too...learn a few things about how to STFU and let the coach do his job. [/font]

iUmmm, okay, wtf is up with the editor? HOly crap

Edited by ajzepp

The Peles and the Maradonas? Are you f'ing kidding me? Whoever said this should be cut immediately...and some of these guys need to get a clue. Maybe go rent the movie "Miracle", too...learn a few things about how to STFU and let the coach do his job. [/font]

Yeah, I agree with you. First of all, to even pluralize words like Pele and Maradona proves that you don't know what you're talking about. Those two were absolute freaks of nature.

Another thing is I look at exactly which players came out and defended the coach/team. Bocanegra, Howard, Bradley, Cameron, Gomez. These aren't five random jerks who merely had brief stints at the international level. These are top guys who are leaders on the field. They also happen to be really good guys, whose opinion actually means a lot. If it were the Bills, think Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams. The guys whose word you trust.

Anyway, all of it is a bunch of talk. Good performances on the field trump all that crap. Let's see what they got.

By the way, I watched the friendly between Italy and Brazil. What a game! Both teams looked ready for the WC right now. The skill on display was ridiculous. De Rossi. Pirlo. Balotelli. Neymar. Players on top club teams just really hitting their peak this time of year. Crazy, creative, attacking end-to-end action the whole time. I think that was the singe most entertaining friendly I've ever seen.

Yeah, I agree with you. First of all, to even pluralize words like Pele and Maradona proves that you don't know what you're talking about. Those two were absolute freaks of nature.

Another thing is I look at exactly which players came out and defended the coach/team. Bocanegra, Howard, Bradley, Cameron, Gomez. These aren't five random jerks who merely had brief stints at the international level. These are top guys who are leaders on the field. They also happen to be really good guys, whose opinion actually means a lot. If it were the Bills, think Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams. The guys whose word you trust.

Anyway, all of it is a bunch of talk. Good performances on the field trump all that crap. Let's see what they got.

Totally agree. They should be banned from even using those players names...nobody on this team has earned the right to use players like that as an example in support of their point...these guys really need a reality check. Great point about who is saying what...I know he has his detractors, but Klinsmann has a resume both as a player and coach that deserves respect. If these detractors had any balls, they wouldn't speak anonymously, they'd let everyone know exactly who they are and handle the issue like a man....and so that way they can more easily be identified for when Klinsi sends their asses packing haha.

This game is nuts! I can't believe they're playing on with the field covered in snow...huge kudos to the Costa Rican players for lobbying the refs to play on against a one goal deficit...they could have pussied out and probably not taken too much crap for it, but instead they're being sportsmen. Cant' say it's the most enjoyable match to watch, but then again you don't see soccer played in these conditions every day.

By the way, I watched the friendly between Italy and Brazil. What a game! Both teams looked ready for the WC right now. The skill on display was ridiculous. De Rossi. Pirlo. Balotelli. Neymar. Players on top club teams just really hitting their peak this time of year. Crazy, creative, attacking end-to-end action the whole time. I think that was the singe most entertaining friendly I've ever seen.

I hate to admit it (Meazza, close your ears wherever you are!), but I'm becoming a Balotelli fan. In the words of Trent from Swingers, the guy is just money, baby. One or two of the Italian players seem like douches, but I respect their team and what they've accomplished. Germany vs. Italy has taken on such a huge level of importance for me over the last several years...even though they probably don't see themselves as rivals in the traditional sense, for me it has that feeling to it. I hope they get to face each other again in the WC2014 before the Brazilians knock both of them out of the tourney :doh:

I just saw on Google that Dempsey earned 7.2 million in 2012...wow, that's nice! Who said soccer players can't make some green?

I hate to admit it (Meazza, close your ears wherever you are!), but I'm becoming a Balotelli fan. In the words of Trent from Swingers, the guy is just money, baby. One or two of the Italian players seem like douches, but I respect their team and what they've accomplished. Germany vs. Italy has taken on such a huge level of importance for me over the last several years...even though they probably don't see themselves as rivals in the traditional sense, for me it has that feeling to it. I hope they get to face each other again in the WC2014 before the Brazilians knock both of them out of the tourney :doh:

Just an fyi this brazil team is nothing spectacular. Argentina is much better, especially with messi playing at the level he is.

Balotelli is probably the best italian player out there aside from totti. Cassano got kicked out of the national team for getting into an argument with his coach. Its not looking good for 2016.

Spain, argentina and germany will impress.

Just an fyi this brazil team is nothing spectacular. Argentina is much better, especially with messi playing at the level he is.

Balotelli is probably the best italian player out there aside from totti. Cassano got kicked out of the national team for getting into an argument with his coach. Its not looking good for 2016.

Spain, argentina and germany will impress.

What about the host factor? What's your take on how strong that advantage will be? IIRC, they had some players during the 2010 cup who were just barely out of diapers...have they just not developed as expected? I'm sick of Spain...I'd love to see Argentina have a good tourney. Not only for Messi, but also because I want to see Maxi Rodriguez hit another beautiful goal like that one he had against Mexico in 2006. That may still be the most amazing shot I've ever seen...hell, I'm even looking forward to seeing what Uruguay does since Diego Forlan had such a strong tourney last time around. I can't believe we're only a little over a year away from the next WC!!!

What about the host factor? What's your take on how strong that advantage will be? IIRC, they had some players during the 2010 cup who were just barely out of diapers...have they just not developed as expected? I'm sick of Spain...I'd love to see Argentina have a good tourney. Not only for Messi, but also because I want to see Maxi Rodriguez hit another beautiful goal like that one he had against Mexico in 2006. That may still be the most amazing shot I've ever seen...hell, I'm even looking forward to seeing what Uruguay does since Diego Forlan had such a strong tourney last time around. I can't believe we're only a little over a year away from the next WC!!!

Brazil is always there. It's part of their prestige but the host factor is the same as it was for Germany in 2006, France for 98, Italy in 90 and so on. It's not a lock to dominate because of it.

I haven't really been following Forlan but he's playing in a Brazilian club which isn't really a good thing..

Uruguay doesn't look like they're going to qualify which sucks because Cavani right now is on fire.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/southamerica/standings/index.html

Is there EVER an off-season for this sport? It seems like there is always some super important thing going on.

Usually there is a major international tournament every summer. There is the confederations cup in July

But, if it's not the EPL, it's the Champions League, and if it's not that, it's something else. It seems year round to me.

Epl starts mid august and finishes end of may. Champions and europa is also is during the same period but on tuesdays/wednesdays of each week. As well you have the qualifiers that are thrown in during the week

The number of games these players play is a lot but what makes it interesting is the diverse amount of trophies they are eligible for.