March Movies: Oz, G.I. Joe 2, Jack, and Olympus Has Fallen...

Mark Vader

You know what's fun to do? Just look at the descriptions of the Indy films and compare them to the descriptions of the mainstream ones. For me, it's very telling,and it's clear why I tend to get more excited about Mark's indy list than I do the main list. The indy films are typically more character driven with more of a focus on interpersonal relationships and "life" drama. I'll always love the popcorn flicks too, but it's just easier to really sink your teeth into the others, IMO.

I saw Don't Stop Believin' the other night on Vudu...I really enjoyed it. They way they structured it was very cool....they sort of matched up the timeline of the band against where Arnel was in his life at various points along the way. I would have liked to have seen a little more about the back story with Steve Perry, but they included enough of that to where it was satisfying. One thing that struck me was that Arnel is much older than I thought he was. Here I'm thinking he was this young guy who was trying to fit in with a bunch of guys old enough to be his grandfather, but he's 45! Anyway, for anyone who is even a casual fan of the band, this is a solid, enjoyable film. My only real criticism was that the audio and video weren't nearly what I expected. I was watching it on my HT system and it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

BTW, it's a couple years old now I think, but another really good documentary I saw recently was "Klitschko". It's about the brothers, their childhood, upbringing, entry into boxing, and challenges they've faced along the way. These guys are far more interesting than I ever imagined they would be and I enjoyed it quite a bit. There's a great scene with the brothers and when they first met Don King in the mid-90s that was good for a laugh.

I agree that some Indy films are more interesting than the mainstream films. Probably because a good amount of them are on a minimalist scale and get a very limited release.

Then there are Indy films that get a significant budget and bigger name actors, like "Silver Linings Playbook" & "Zero Dark Thirty".

"Ginger & Rosa" got a lot of praise for Elle Fanning, and a lot of high marks went to "Stoker" as well.

Went and saw Olympus yesterday, decent action film compared to some I've seen, but....

a "closed/seperate computer system" that NORAD can see the status of and is tied into all the land based nukes? I don't believe that it is closed, they could have cut a wire somewhere to shut it down.