Buffalo Bills back to the future: Stopping the Pats in Buffalo

SBUffalo

This is the second post of my blog that I'm doing for a class here at St. Bonaventure. Due to certain class restrictions, I am slightly hindered in my writing style, but please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://bit.ly/XXFkDZ

Tom Brady dislikes Buffalo hotels, and, judging by the fact that he has 12 more touchdowns against the Bills than any other opponent, he dislikes Buffalo defenses. The first of two matchups between the teams came in Buffalo where Brady added three touchdowns to his total against the Bills in a 52-28 victory. However abysmal the final score ended up, hope showed its face after Buffalo held a two-score lead early in the third quarter. A quarter and a half later the hopeful faces turned back into this. They failed to close, but that’s not to say a few transactions this offseason can’t allow future Buffalo teams to prevail.

The combination of C.J. Spiller and Fred Jackson ran for just 62 yards on 21 carries (below three yards-per-carry). Running the ball well allows teams to control the clock, so adding Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Branden Albert and moving Cordy Glenn to right tackle could do that by creating holes for Spiller and Jackson. After creating holes offensively, Buffalo needs to address the holes in their defense that allowed Brandon Bolden and Stevan Ridley to rush for 243 yards. Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o struggled against Alabama’s runningbacks in the BCS National Championship game, but one game doesn’t destroy sure-tackling throughout a career that saw him become one of the Irish’s most prolific tacklers with 437 career stops. Te’o replaces Kelvin Sheppard considering Sheppard only recorded one tackle in this game. New England’s production on the ground warrants another addition: North Carolina’s 305-pound defensive tackle Sylvester Williams who works as a space eater in the middle to replace Spencer Johnson.

Albert led an offensive line that got Jamaal Charles to the Pro Bowl and has the size at 6’5”, 316 lbs to leverage opponents. As seen in the video below, whenever you create holes for C.J. Spiller he makes plays. With Albert paving the way for Spiller the clock keeps running, and Buffalo can control the game like they did against the Chiefs in a week two victory.

Albert also excels in pass-blocking situations. Pro Football Focus ranks him as the ninth most efficient pass blocker in the NFL. Fittingly, all three sacks from the Patriots came from edge rushers which Albert deals with at the left tackle position.

teo.png?w=593

Neon Tommy via Flickr

Te’o shows leadership on the field, despite his strange off-the-field situation, and has the tools to consistently make plays from the middle of a defense. Sounds like the perfect resumé for replacing Sheppard. Paired with Sylvester Williams, who has drawn comparisons to New Orleans defensive standout Sedrick Ellis. Like Ellis, Williams won’t create a lot of penetration to sack the quarterback, but he excels in stopping the run as evidenced in his 7.5 tackles on a runningback for a loss for the Heels last season. Stopping Bolden and Ridley from gashing the middle of the defense translates to wins considering the Patriots lost all four games this season in which they ran for less than 100 yards as a team. Tom Brady might already be considered the greatest QB of all-time by some, but there are ten other players on the field that need to do their job for him to succeed.

If Buffalo ever wants to compete with the Pats a three-step process must be followed…

Step one: Identify the problem. Step two: Do something about it. Step three: Win. I don’t have a link to step three and that’s because Buffalo hasn’t been beating the Patriots who are 20-2 against the Bills when Tom Brady plays. Failing to stop role players like Bolden and Ridley won’t get it done.

You mention nothing about a new QB...

Due to the fact that I can't repeat a player more than once in this series, I only have so many QBs to use. So a QB won't appear in every post. I am also only changing three players per. There are certain limits, as I said. If there were more viable QB options that could potentially be available, then I would talk about them more. Thanks for reading, though.

I'm a little lost & so is the author.

I'd prefer it if you would just place me on your ignore list if you are going to continue to say something negative and nonconstructive on every post. Thanks.

Since he has more TDs against the Bills defense why would he dislike Buffalo's defense. Maybe change that to Brady "likes" Buffalo defenses.

I see where you're coming from. I thought of doing it both ways, but stuck with dislike because you don't beat on the things you love unless you're Jim Rome.

Edited by DStebb716