So What Does This Have To Do With English Class?

3rdnlng

CHAPIN, SC (WIS) -

The attorney for a Midlands high school teacher accused of stomping on an American flag in front of his honors English classes says his client meant no disrespect.

Darryl D. Smalls says 12-year teacher Scott Compton was attempting to show his classes that America is an "inspirational idea," greater than the "material objects that represent it," during a lesson on symbolism.

"He made only positive comments about America throughout this lesson," wrote Smalls in an emailed statement to WIS. "The version of events currently circulating is incomplete."

"He meant no intentional disrespect to those men and women who served our country or to America itself," continued Smalls. "Several members of his family served in the Armed Forces and they have his total support given all of the facts of the lesson."

"Many people have rushed to vilify my client based on one segment of the story related through a secondhand account," wrote Smalls. "My client has had an exemplary twelve year teaching career and was only trying to create a forum for discussion using a powerful symbol with which all his students would be familiar."

Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.

http://www.wistv.com...powerful-symbol

Well, his defense is that he was explaining about "symbolism"...............I certainly can see how an English Class could have a lesson around that.

However, my comment is................if this (12 year) veteran teacher was not smart enough to see that this method would cause a problem (rather than teach the intended lesson) well, I certainly would not want him teaching my child.

Even they would know better.

Well, his defense is that he was explaining about "symbolism"...............I certainly can see how an English Class could have a lesson around that.

However, my comment is................if this (12 year) veteran teacher was not smart enough to see that this method would cause a problem (rather than teach the intended lesson) well, I certainly would not want him teaching my child.

Even they would know better.

I agree, bad judgement. He could have just verbalized the concept, "what about people who stomp on or burn the US flag" probably would have accomplished the same thing without getting in hot water or being fired.