What's so wrong with the bootleg?

For a bootleg you limit the field and avail receivers you can throw to by 1/2. Elway was good at this as he had a strong enough arm to throw to the back side reciever down the middle of the field if he was open. Heck I think I recall a few times when he threw to the opposite side of the field and completed passes. Fitz's arm is not strong enough for this type of throw.

I remember seeing Elway run the bootleg play a lot. How come Chan doesnt call it?

You need a qb willing to take a hit. CHECK

You need a qb willing to run. CHECK

Decent oline. CHECK

That's pretty much all the requirements. Is it out of style or what?

Why does he throw it on 3rd & 1 when inside the 10 with a RB that averages 7.3 YPC ??? Go Figure !!

For a bootleg you limit the field and avail receivers you can throw to by 1/2. Elway was good at this as he had a strong enough arm to throw to the back side reciever down the middle of the field if he was open. Heck I think I recall a few times when he threw to the opposite side of the field and completed passes. Fitz's arm is not strong enough for this type of throw.

One I dont believe the bolded statement.

2. The bootleg is a running play. Not a pass play. (of course you can still pass it)

Has chan every run that play? It gets you a few yards. Good option for a 2nd and short or 3rd and short.

Why does he throw it on 3rd & 1 when inside the 10 with a RB that averages 7.3 YPC ??? Go Figure !!

Because averages do not make a difference on 3rd & 1. Averages include running the ball after a penalty on 1st and 20 and defense is lined up to prevent the long pass. Lots of RBs get yards when defenses are in prevent mode. On short yardage gains it is whether your offense can impose its will on defense not whether you get lots of yards by clever blocking screens and creating space which not effective when defense is clamping down to prevent short runs.

Because averages do not make a difference on 3rd & 1. Averages include running the ball after a penalty on 1st and 20 and defense is lined up to prevent the long pass. Lots of RBs get yards when defenses are in prevent mode. On short yardage gains it is whether your offense can impose its will on defense not whether you get lots of yards by clever blocking screens and creating space which not effective when defense is clamping down to prevent short runs.

And as I've posted a few times, I think the Bills weakness in short yardage has to do with Gailey more than it does personnel.

Even though the Bills are a pretty good running team, the identity of the offense is of a passing/finesse team.

That's a decision Gailey has made either wittingly or not.