Astro's 2013 Way Too Early Mock Draft

Astrobot

Here's my feeble attempt at drafting 7 rounds, using DraftTek's Simulator. I have a 2013 Big Board of 300+ players now, and it's ready for this. We're drafting 9th, with Kansas City taking Geno Smith at #1.

1 9 Buffalo Luke Joeckel OT a can't miss guy giving you the most dominant line in football as I'd put Cordy Glenn at RT. Another possibility would be Star Lotulelei DT43 who's doing well in an inferior conference but would be a backup for Williams/Dareus, and Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State, who in my opinion is this year's Gilmore and could start. He'd be my 2nd choice here, then Tyler Wilson QB. Matt Barkley QB USC has fallen past our pick on our big board, but I don't like him.

2 40 Buffalo Kevin Minter ILB LSU - The defensive linemen at this point are not favorites of mine (Jackson Jeffcoat DE43 Texas, and William Gholston DE43 Michigan State). Minter has been playing out of his mind, and may likely continue his journey up to RD1, but he's here right now. Minter's sideline to sideline, AND covers his gaps. He's better at pass coverage than Manti T'eo. He had 20 tkl incl 17 solo in LSU's loss to FL, and --get this-- apologized to the fans afterward. That's all you need to know about his character.

3 72 Buffalo E.J. Manuel QB Florida State - I liked what I saw Thursday night. Manuel has an NFL arm, has the highest completion percentage in the ACC at 72.1%, has a 17.6 yards per attempt average, and had 102 rush yards vs. Clemson. His fade pass is unbelievable. I also could have Collin Klein here, and again, I suspect he'll be gone by the end of RD2 next April.

4 104 Buffalo Jonathan Brown OLB43 Illinois - The Linebackers need competition and depth.

5 136 Buffalo Aaron Mellette WR Elon - Mellette needs coaching, but he was lighting it up earlier this year and last. In fact, Draft Scout has him as the #2 WR. We have him falling to here like most draft sites.

6 168 Buffalo Jamar Taylor CB Boise State - I've watched this guy for a while, and I think he can hang with Stephon Gilmore and Ron Brooks. He's experienced (22 starts before this year), great bump & run coverage, and great open field tackles.

7- 194 Buffalo Mike Shanahan WR Pittsburgh - At 6'4", 225, Shanahan is just a football player, period. He's carrying an 18.1 ypc average. He's there, I'm picking him.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Elon kid a lot on the news, and the school is quickly gaining national attention for education, as well. Ranked #1 as the best MBA part time program in the country their football team is starting to get better and better.

A big WR in the 7th worries me because I am not sure I wantto let a guy sit on the roster when someone goes down if he is not ready to contribute.

I worry about Emanuel like I do any college QB coming to Buffalo...argh!

How does Joeckel do with run blocking? Can he be a road grader? Does he have legs good enough to get down field and seal the ends?

Minter sounds like he could be good for us next year, is he strictly a 4-3 ILB? Can he adapt to packages?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Manti Te'O draft.

Bills trade up to #4 for Manti Te'O, lose this year's #1, and next year's #2

1-Manti Te'O ILB Notre Dame

3-Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

4-AJ McCarron QB Alabama

5-Michael Carter CB Minnesota

6-Uzoma Nwachukwu WR Texas A&M

7-Seth Doege QB Texas Tech or Everett Dawkins DT Fla State

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a Manti Te'O draft.

Bills trade up to #4 for Manti Te'O, lose this year's #1, and next year's #2

1-Manti Te'O ILB Notre Dame

3-Chase Thomas OLB Stanford

4-AJ McCarron QB Alabama

5-Michael Carter CB Minnesota

6-Uzoma Nwachukwu WR Texas A&M

7-Seth Doege QB Texas Tech or Everett Dawkins DT Fla State

I'd be extremely upset if Buffalo traded up for anyone but Geno Smith. Love Chase Thomas in round 2 though. He reminds me a lot of Clay Matthews.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.