Some thoughts

jahnyc

Some random thoughts:

1. Whether it is DB or JP, we need to upgrade our o-line. With Teague, Villarail and Williams signed for at least next year, this leaves us with the LT and LG positions. I still can't figure out if Jennings is solid or lacking in some ways, but I am assuming he won't be back. Going in to this season with nothing at LG was a big mistake, although it is clear that our o-line coach made a difference in the overall play of the o-line. We also need depth, particularly since I think Price is a free agent.

2. Whether DB or JP starts next year, we will still struggle on offense. We can't expect DB to suddenly improve. Teams have figured out how to play him (with a rush up the middle) and he will always be immobile. Losman may have some skills, but he will struggle if he is the starter next year (first and second year qbs generally do). He did not get enough game experience this year for it to matter next year.

3. I think MM did a great job keeping the team together during a very rough stretch, but he will need to show next year that he can coach in big games against good teams. I am a little worried about our performance against the good teams this year. Too many penalties, mental mistakes and wasted opportunities.

4. I am very impressed with our special teams play this year. April did a great job and improved the play significantly. Based on their play on special teams, I think that Crowell, Stamer and Haggans have excellent potential at linebacker and that is why I have some confidence in our depth at that position.

5. Jerry Gray surpassed my expectations this year. I had wondered how much of our defensive performance over the last couple of years was the result of involvement by LeBeau and G. Williams. I think Gray answered these questions.

6. Spikes, Fletcher, Adams, Milloy, McGee, Evans and McGahee were all fun to watch this year.

7. We should sign a stud free agent left tackle (if one is available) (see point one above).

8. I can't figure out if we need help at DT, particularly if P. Williams leaves via free agency. Is Ron Edwards a free agent? Can Edwards, Bannon and Anderson step-up next year? What happened to Anderson this year? This is going to be an area of need.

9. I assume Moulds will be back since he is under contract, but is there any chance that he will want out?

Some random thoughts:

190555[/snapback]

3. Most delay of game penalties of any team in the league. Gotta manage the game better. Was I smoking crack yesterday or did we take a timeout right at the start of the second quarter? Manage the game. :P

5. Gray got out coached yesterday, and there's no way around it. Until his defense can stop teams like the Steelers or Pats when it matters; he's second tier.

8. I think we're OK at DT, but I also think Pat returns.

Was I smoking crack yesterday or did we take a timeout right at the start of the second quarter?  Manage the game. :P

The defense called timeout. They obviously didn't like what they saw from the offense. Next play, PW hits the back for a 4 yard loss.

Timeout well spent I think.

CW

The defense called timeout.  They obviously didn't like what they saw from the offense.  Next play, PW hits the back for a 4 yard loss.

Timeout well spent I think.

CW

190611[/snapback]

Disagree. You have a timeout between quarters, and someone is watching the offense to see what package they are using. The defense reacts accordingly.

You do not take a timeout with 15:00 minutes left in the second quarter.

Disagree.  You have a timeout between quarters, and someone is watching the offense to see what package they are using.  The defense reacts accordingly. 

You do not take a timeout with 15:00 minutes left in the second quarter.

190631[/snapback]

You can't see what formation the offense is lining up in....

CW

A couple of more things that I noted from other posts:

1. A pass rushing defensive end to complement Schobel. Maybe Kelsay is the guy, maybe not, but we need more pass rush from that end position. I don't think TD will do anything here because he drafted Kelsay, Schobel and Denny.

2. Could use a pass catching tight end. Maybe Euhus is the answer, probably not.