Worst Regular Season Losses Ever

MNF vs Dallas by far!

My favorite part of that clip:

Tony Kornheiser and Ron Jaworski debating about the validity of the time out rule.

Tony: "Is he gonna kick it again? Mike? Do you think he's gonna...."

Mike Tirico (stonefaced, unsmiling in my imagination), as he begins to call the game and ignore Tony: "Dallas comes out of the timeout..."

As far as worst regular season losses go, the Dallas MNF game was bad. There's still the Cleveland Browns MNF game in 2008 (against Brady Quinn), where I was sure Buffalo would win. There's the Steelers regular season game in 2004, which would have clinced a playoff berth. There's the 1994 loss to the Vikings, which would have kept the Bills in line for the playoffs. There's the 1998 loss to the Patriots, which probably cost the Bills a home playoff game. All of these games are worse than this Titans loss, the way I see it.

Dick Jauron's last game where the entire team quit on him against Tennessee in the 4th.

But for me, the worst one was in 91. The Bills were 5-0 going into Arrowhead, and got stomped on MNF 33-6 with Derrick Thomas getting 4 sacks. The Bills coughed up the ball 5 times in one game, allowed two 100 yard rushers, and lost to a Steve DeBerg led team. This showed that these Bills were still not invincible would have trouble against other good teams later in the season, like Washington.

Dick Jauron's last game where the entire team quit on him against Tennessee in the 4th.

But for me, the worst one was in 91. The Bills were 5-0 going into Arrowhead, and got stomped on MNF 33-6 with Derrick Thomas getting 4 sacks. The Bills coughed up the ball 5 times in one game, allowed two 100 yard rushers, and lost to a Steve DeBerg led team. This showed that these Bills were still not invincible would have trouble against other good teams later in the season, like Washington.

That was a bad one .

This game not even close to being the worst.

That was a bad one .

This game not even close to being the worst.

To me, I had higher expectations of those teams than anything post 2000. I keep my expectations low to avoid major disappointment. I expect them to screw up and am pleasantly surprised when they don't.

The one that stands out to me in the regular season was a Sunday night game in New England back in 1996.

The Bills had struggled a bit that year but finally seemed to right their ship. This was a late-season game with the Bills and Pats both playoff contenders. Kelly led a late-game TD drive to take, I believe, a 4 point lead. Then the Patriots turned around and marched down the field -- and Curtis Martin scored to give the Pats a 3-point lead with less than 2:00 to go.

All the Bills needed was a field goal to tie and force overtime -- or a TD to win. Kelly throws a pick six to Willie McGinnist. The Bills get the ball back, and Kelly hits Reed on a TD bomb to get back within 3. However, they fail to recover the on-sides kick. Pats win by 3.

That loss means the difference between winning the division and being the #2 overall seed and staggering into the playoffs as a wildcard. A tired Bills team loses to Jacksonville in the opening round of the playoffs... The Patriots make it to the Super Bowl.

hmmmm, what an interesting thread.

I would say that the worst regular season loss i have experienced in the last 20 years of following the bills was the loss at cleveland in 2008.

something about that team... i cant explain it, but the jauron bills seemed *different* that year. it was almost as if THAT was the year that we were supposed to break the playoff streak, but for whatever reason, we just... didnt?

we SHOULD have beat the broncos that year... we SHOULD have beat the cowboys that year... and we SHOULD have beat the browns that year.

and i know, looking at the standings now, that game doesnt make a difference, because we were out of the playoffs by a long shot... but there was just something about that game.. the lead in to it, the cbs graphics showing us as alive for a wildcard... the fact that there was snow in the air, it was christmas time... and all they had to do was win that game to stay alive...

and we freaking lost 8 to nothing. the most meaningless, pointless, embarassing score ever. eight to freaking nothing.

what a weird year that was.

actually... kind of looks like this one. close losses to bad teams, absolutely BLOWN OUT by better teams (56-10 new england, 38-7 new england, 26-3 pittsburgh,) and win just enough games to stay in the conversation. interestingly, we were 3-4 after 7 games then too...

A lot of weird nominations. The 91 team that went 13-3? The meaningless Losman fumble vs the Jets for a team that was going nowhere? The 8-0 Browns game?

Dallas MNF I can understand even though that team was going nowhere because it was Dallas and it was Monday night. I doubt any nfl team has lost since with 3 non-offensive TD's - just impossible.

Pittsburgh '04 also understandable but to me that sorta was a playoff game. I just sorta felt "where the f*** is this team going to win on the road if they can't beat back-ups at home?" At least that was my excuse for not getting depressed about it..

For the playoff drought years I would probably vote for the Nate Clements Jacksonville '04 opener. Absolutely brutal. Felt like it'd cost us a playoff spot & it did.

Prior to that, "just give it to 'em" seems like a good choice. Cost us homefield & a perfect 4-0 vs Miami in the playoffs. 'Nuff said.

I've been a Bills fan(victim?) since 73 I guess. This seasons loss against New England was pretty bad. I've never seen a Bills defense appear so helpless as in the second half of that game. After this game is when I realized we were still a very bad team. I was really afraid going into the Niner game after that and got exactly what I expected. A bad team on the road against a good team .

Edited by Dante

Or how about Home Run Throw Forward!!! DAMN YOU Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills had the Pats down with minutes to go - the Putz Kick / Punt and Roscoe fumbles it , the Putz recover and score - game over Putz win!!!

So many games other that this weeks

That was a playoff game, the topic here is regular season games.