Week 7: Who to start?

Buftex

So, every on-line "expert" is telling me I should start Cam Newton this week (vs Dallas) over Andy Dalton (vs Pittsburgh). Both guys play at home. Carolina is coming off of a bye-week. Bengals play Steelers on Sunday Night Football.

NFL.COM (the forum my league uses) projects Cam to get 24 pts this week, vs 6 pts for Dalton.

It seems like no contest...but when I look at the numbers, I am not so sure:

In our leauge:

Overall:Cam Newton has 91 pts so far this season (5 gms- 18 pt avg) vs Andy Dalton with 139 pts (6 gms-23 pt avg)

Defensive rankings vs QB's: Dallas #6, Pittsburgh #14

Defensive rankings vs WR's: Dallas #1, Pittsburgh #14

Defensive rankings vs RB's (this could affect Cam): Dallas #19, Pittsburgh #13

Overall Defensive/ST Rankings: Dallas #31, Pittsburgh #6

Dallas, as a defense, obviously gives up a lot more fantasy points...but their problems seem to be more stopping the run than the pass...does this mean that Cam and Stewart/Williams combo try to run all over them?

Experts are saying to start Cam... is he the clear cut choice here? Which would you start, Cam Newton or Andy Dalton?

I am not as down on Newton as everyone else seems to be...but hard not to notice the numbers I have been leaving on the bench with Daton...I had to start him last week (Cam on bye) and he blew up! I am 4-2 so far, and having a pretty good year (ranked #4 of 12)...but I am aware that I have been getting very lucky. I have scored the 6th most points in my league, but have had the second fewest scored against me.

Edited by Buftex

Yeah I think I would go with Dalton. I think the Dallas defense is pretty good. They're not bad vs the run. The #31 ranking I assume is fantasy Defense #'s? That's because they don't have a lot of sacks (which is surprising w/ Ware but 5 games is a small sample) or takeaways. Plus the two pick 6's vs the Bears counts against them.

Disclaimer: I thought Newton (along with Stafford) was grossly overrated in the preseason so I would never own him. I'm sure he is the higher upside play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.