The Solution for Next Year

ajzepp

In my opinion, there is only one solution that will even come close to satisfying both the Bledsoe and anti-Bledsoe camps........in addition to the pro-JP camp, who are obviously the most correct of the bunch :doh:

If we're going to keep both on the roster, we essentially need to manually reproduce the situation that took place in Pittsburgh this year. Essentially, we need to get JP in the game without the injury to the starter as an excuse (cause all all know that Bledsoe not only has the reflexes of a zombie.....he's about as hard to get rid of as Freddie Kruger).

I say we let JP go into camp as the number one guy........you roll the dice that since he has a solid supporting cast with a good running game and defense, that he can adequately get the job done and gain experience at the same time......just like Big Ben did. THEN, if for some reason JP is clearly the culprit for a loss or two, then you have the crash dummy (per Randy Cross) sitting there on the bench just waiting to go in.

I don't know what the rest of you think.....but to me, this is the minimum getting-rid-of-Bledsoe scenario that would get me excited about the QB position for next year.

THEN, if for some reason JP is clearly the culprit for a loss or two, then you have the crash dummy (per Randy Cross) sitting there on the bench just waiting to go in.

189876[/snapback]

In general, when you start a first-year QB, he WILL be the culprit for a loss or two. Look at Peyton Manning's first season. Now, what would have happened to Manning had he been benched after a bad game or two? Would he be the same QB he is today?

Once you make the commitment to your first-year QB, you have to stick with it for at least a year. If at the end of the year he shows no signs of improvement, you need to sit down and reevaluate. But even then a guy can suddenly improve. Trent Dilfer got better after leaving Tampa. Drew Brees is in his third or fourth year, and he's lighting the world on fire (as opposed to last season when he looked like he was a bust). In general, Buffalo fans aren't patient enough with developing young QBs.

In my opinion, there is only one solution that will even come close to satisfying both the Bledsoe and anti-Bledsoe camps........in addition to the pro-JP camp, who are obviously the most correct of the bunch :)

If we're going to keep both on the roster, we essentially need to manually reproduce the situation that took place in Pittsburgh this year. Essentially, we need to get JP in the game without the injury to the starter as an excuse (cause all all know that Bledsoe not only has the reflexes of a zombie.....he's about as hard to get rid of as Freddie Kruger).

I say we let JP go into camp as the number one guy........you roll the dice that since he has a solid supporting cast with a good running game and defense, that he can adequately get the job done and gain experience at the same time......just like Big Ben did. THEN, if for some reason JP is clearly the culprit for a loss or two, then you have the crash dummy (per Randy Cross) sitting there on the bench just waiting to go in.

I don't know what the rest of you think.....but to me, this is the minimum getting-rid-of-Bledsoe scenario that would get me excited about the QB position for next year.

189876[/snapback]

Their is really no way of knowing if he'll be ready or not. I like what I see though. I'm sure the Bills feel he'll be ready if needed otherwise why even pick him and send Dallas the first pick. It's to much to expect a rookie to be productive. While their are exceptions their are few. Let the kid at least be given the chance in pre-season to compete for the starting job.

Let the kid at least be given the chance in pre-season to compete for the starting job.

190947[/snapback]

Good points all and I too would like to see JP catch fire next year. There's a threshold problem however: with the vanilla defenses, limited efforts, and quick substitutions you see in the first two preseason games (when the decisions are really made), there really is no way JP can look better than Drew unless the coaches don't base it on game performance.

Opposing D's will not zero in on Drew's weaknesses in preseason the way they do in the regular season. Meanwhile he'll have the advantage of working with an improvng line that needs to get its work in too. Even if JP starts a game and Drew plays the second half, second- and third-string D's will not be running the stunts and misdirections that make Drew look bad. So starting JP will require the coaches to make some kind of leap of faith based on his atholetic ability, because they sure won't base it on his superior game management or defense reading in the preseason -- there just won't be a significant advantage there for him.

Good points all and I too would like to see JP catch fire next year.  There's a threshold problem however:  with the vanilla defenses, limited efforts, and quick substitutions you see in the first two preseason games (when the decisions are really made), there really is no way JP can look better than Drew unless the coaches don't base it on game performance.

Opposing D's will not zero in on Drew's weaknesses in preseason the way they do in the regular season.  Meanwhile he'll have the advantage of working with an improvng line that needs to get its work in too.  Even if JP starts a game and Drew plays the second half, second- and third-string D's will not be running the stunts and misdirections that make Drew look bad.  So starting JP will require the coaches to make some kind of leap of faith based on his atholetic ability, because they sure won't base it on his superior game management or defense reading in the preseason -- there just won't be a significant advantage there for him.

190995[/snapback]

If JP looks good in pre-season we should just stick with him. We know what Bledsoe can and cannot do.

Speaking of Brees, let's outpay SD for him.

191026[/snapback]

I still can't help but wonder if Brees' success can be directly attributed to that freak of a tight end they found doing whatever he was doing. I'm not saying Brees has not improved or is not worthy of his pro bowl bid.......but TE for us is not exactly a position of strength.

If JP looks good in pre-season we should just stick with him. We know what Bledsoe can and cannot do.

191032[/snapback]

I agree with you......just the mere THOUGHT of Drew being back as the starter makes my physically ill......and from what I can tell, a lot of others feel the same way. Three years is long enough.....honestly......let JP start the season and if he craps the bed then go back to Drew.....but at least give the kid the chance to make a difference.

191032[/snapback]

Exactly. My memory is often faulty, but I can't recall a game that DB "won", but recall a few that he "lost". He seemed to be a 50% completion caretaker in wins orchestrated by other players.

191032[/snapback]

In a roundabout way that's really my point. I held on to faith in Bledsoe as long as I could, thinking it was Kilbride's fault or the line's fault or whatever, and that in the right schemes he would just have to push the right buttons and get the job done without really being a star (like, say, Trent Dilfer in Baltimore their SB year or Brad Johnson in Tampa Bay their SB year). What he showed yesterday, like he did against the Patriots in November, is that in a big game against a smart defense he bottoms out. So

We know what Bledsoe can and cannot do.

191032[/snapback]

It looks like it's time to just go with JP, with Bledsoe on the bench. I don't know what an "open competition" accomplishes, if there really is such a thing. I was trying to say that a truly "open competition" would likely favor Bledsoe in preseason.