Blame the Coaching Staff for Mario Williams' Slow Start

My first thought after this game was "Is there anything in the house that needs breaking right now? I'm a bit calmer now, but not by much.

Mario Williams has gotten off to a slow start. No doubt. But saying he's going to be a bust is ridiculous. The line of thinking that "He signed here, so something must be wrong with him" is totally off-base. He isn't some rookie that the scouting departement misgraded. He's been in the NFL for a number of years now.

My feeling is that the coaching staff is to blame for his slow start. A typical staff put a lot of emphasis on developing rookies in camp and at times the veteran players don't get enough attention. Especially with Mario I think the tendency is to think that it's a given that he'll be great and they don't have to spend as much time with him. He's new to this team and while it's a 4-3 like he played in before 2011 it's not exactly the same.

I think Mario knows he's got to step it up. There's a certain pride factor here. He wants to be recognized as the best. It's up to the coaching to show him how to get there.

I think Mario knows he's got to step it up. There's a certain pride factor here. He wants to be recognized as the best. It's up to the coaching to show him how to get there.

WTF are you talking about? He needs the coaches to show him how to get there? Didn't you type this as well???

He isn't some rookie that the scouting departement misgraded. He's been in the NFL for a number of years now.

You are right, he is no rookie. Are you really saying Nix paid $100 million dollars for someone they have to teach how to rush the passer??????

If so you should change the title to "Blame Buddy Nix ..."

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree with Flatlander. It's too early to panic. I think we'll have a better idea of where Mario and the rest of the team are at in a few more weeks. If they continue to fold like they did against New England than we can start throwing blame. I am just hoping they keep the game close on Sunday.

If we're talking about coaches putting players in positions to succeed than the OP has some merit. Wade Philips got 5 sacks in 5 games so there is some credence to this notion.

But no way am I going to pretend his slow start is a result of the coaching staff not spending time with him in practice like the OP suggests.

I don't know what's up with Mario- there are two ways to be bad, looking like you are giving it all you got and not getting anywhere (Kelsay) and looking like you are going through the motions (Mario)- I almost wish Mario has an undisclosed injury because otherwise he's just letting his teammates down because I can't believe he's playing anywhere near his potential.