Rotoworld Week 4 QB Rankings

eyebeem99

"Fitzpatrick’s fantasy points have been inflated by a garbage-time Jets defense and two weak opponents. As NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell points out, only three of Fitzpatrick’s 86 pass attempts have traveled 19+ yards."

http://www.rotoworld...week-4-rankings

With the time and protection he has received behind this OL?! Man, that stat is god awful. Wake up Fitzpatrick! You have more time to throw than you realize! From Buscaglia:

Fitzpatrick missed a couple of big opportunities to settle for more covered ones, while still having more time in the pocket. That's where his internal clock in the pocket is both a good and bad thing. Yes, he doesn't take many sacks (or in 2012's case, not a single one), but he might miss a big play opportunity. In the first quarter, Fitzpatrick settled for a short throw to Scott Chandler which ended up being a completion. Had he waited and scanned the field an extra half-of-a-second, he would have seen T.J. Graham behind not only the left cornerback in the Browns' zone look, but the safety T.J. Ward had already committed to running up to Chandler before Fitzpatrick even cocked his arm back. It would have been a touchdown. Another less obvious opportunity missed happened in the third quarter. It was a high throw to Stevie Johnson that resulted in an incompletion, but Donald Jones came free on a post on the right side with safety Usama Young committed to the left half of the field. It would have taken a perfect throw, but Fitzpatrick is at his best when throwing to the middle of the field.

With the time and protection he has received behind this OL?! Man, that stat is god awful. Wake up Fitzpatrick! You have more time to throw than you realize! From Buscaglia:

You must have been watching a diferent sport in which wins and losses are dictated by the amount of long passes a quarterback hits, as opposed to scoring more points than your opponent as a team.

You must have been watching a diferent sport in which wins and losses are dictated by the amount of long passes a quarterback hits, as opposed to scoring more points than your opponent as a team.

What an idiotic statement. The goal is to score touchdowns, TYTT, if better opportunities are available, but are being passed up, then that IS a problem. I don't have trust in our QB to methodically drive down the field possession after possession. Big plays are a premium in the NFL, no matter what those rosy colored glasses tell you.

What an idiotic statement. The goal is to score touchdowns, TYTT, if better opportunities are available, but are being passed up, then that IS a problem. I don't have trust in our QB to methodically drive down the field possession after possession. Big plays are a premium in the NFL, no matter what those rosy colored glasses tell you.

The goal is to win games in real life. Fancy yardage and stats are for fantasy fan boys who know nothing about football

Edited by CHOICE SCREEN

The goal is to win games in real life. Fancy yardage and stats are for fantasy fan boys who know nothing about football

How do you win games, genius?? If your answer is, "score more points than the opponent," then I have NO IDEA how you can argue passing up TD passes equates to "stats for fantasy fan boys." Some of you people are incredibly short sighted.

How do you win games, genius?? If your answer is, "score more points than the opponent," then I have NO IDEA how you can argue passing up TD passes equates to "stats for fantasy fan boys." Some of you people are incredibly short sighted.

Well one I'd have to go back and look at every time said "touchdown" was passed up. In all seriousness though. If touchdowns where passed up that's pretty impressive in and of itself as the qb you love to hate only leads the league in touchdown passes, and the Bills are tied for 6th in ppg at 29. are 11th in yards per game. 8th in 3rd down pct, and I'm pretty sure one of the top teams inside the redzone. of course as fans we'd all love said qb to take advantage of every opportunity that some writer on rotoworld tells us about that we didn't notice during the game, and when you're actually playing football the odds of seeing every available outlet on every single play is damn near impossible. So while easy to criticize if you look at the picture at a whole the offense has performed pretty damn well. Of course I'd like Fitz to get better with his overall accuracy, but at the same time I don't wanna square peg round hole. Play to the teams strengths. Any question that our strength on offense is a run oriented short-medium range passing on its best day? Fitz isn't Roethlisberger or Matt Schaub, but if he's gonna convert the simple opportunites when they're there take advantage of short fields and perform inside the redzone. I'll take that every single week.

Fitz isn't Roethlisberger or Matt Schaub, but if he's gonna convert the simple opportunites when they're there take advantage of short fields and perform inside the redzone. I'll take that every single week.

As would I. As would Chan Gailey. But here's the problem: we don't play the Chiefs and Browns every week. What happens when a good team squats on the short stuff? When they're not worried about the length of the field, but rather the width? When we so desperately need a TD, but rather than hold onto the ball a tad bit longer, waiting for that bigger play, Fitzpatrick "settles" for the 5 yard in. The statistic above was jarring, not because Fitzpatrick has been terribly ineffective, but because the offense could be so much more effective. Anyone arguing against that statistic and available opportunities, doesn't truly understand what it takes to have a successful football team. We beat the Patriots last year because Fitzpatrick DID look down the field. He took advantage of available opportunities. He has an even better line this year, but so far, the numbers prove he has no interest in what transpires 20 yards down the field. In order for the offense to take the next step and beat those better defenses, he has to start looking down the field.

As would I. As would Chan Gailey. But here's the problem: we don't play the Chiefs and Browns every week. What happens when a good team squats on the short stuff? When they're not worried about the length of the field, but rather the width? When we so desperately need a TD, but rather than hold onto the ball a tad bit longer, waiting for that bigger play, Fitzpatrick "settles" for the 5 yard in. The statistic above was jarring, not because Fitzpatrick has been terribly ineffective, but because the offense could be so much more effective. Anyone arguing against that statistic and available opportunities, doesn't truly understand what it takes to have a successful football team. We beat the Patriots last year because Fitzpatrick DID look down the field. He took advantage of available opportunities. He has an even better line this year, but so far, the numbers prove he has no interest in what transpires 20 yards down the field. In order for the offense to take the next step and beat those better defenses, he has to start looking down the field.

I don't disagree with you on this. When we start getting into the meat of the schedule against those better defenses and tiz isn't taking advantage of the long passes when they're there, or even trying to stretch the field we'll run into a serious problem. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt right now, because we where/are running a very hot hand with Spiller, and working with good field position the last 2 weeks. As we move along here hopefully They stick to what they're strengths are but also use the speed of graham and the rac ability of johnson and even donald jones a bit more.

I couldn't agree more Choice in that Fitz just needs to manage this team, not necessarily be the star of it. Cut out the ridiculous mistakes he sometimes inexplicably makes, ala the season opener, and save the heroics for when we need them, like he did a few times in the first third of the season last year and this team (key word) could easily be playing football into January for the first time in a long time.