The AFC EAST 2012

thewildrabbit

The Patriots are still one of the most explosive teams in the NFL "if" Tom Brady has his usual 5-7 seconds in the pocket to throw.

Last year they had the #2 overall receiver in yards, WR Wes Welker AND the #6 overall receiver in yards in TE Rob Gronkowski! The Patriots 3rd best receiver was the #31 receiver in yards, TE Aaron Hernandaz. WR Dion Branch was ranked #57 in yards. Its why Tom Brady was #2 in the NFL in passing yards last year, and the Patriots were the #2 total offense in yards in the league.

To put that in perspective, the Patriots had the #2, #6, #31, #57 best receivers in yardage. The Bills had Stevie Johnson at #19 overall, and the next best was David Nelson at #61. So the Patriots had 4 players

better then the Bills second best receiver. Receptions are about the same story, except Wes Welker had 122 and the next best player in the NFL only had 100, Roddy White.

The Patriots fatal flaw this year could be their O line, and they haven't looked very solid so far this pre season.

The Jets have a top 10 defense, or should have. Last season they were the #5 in the league in yardage. They have arguably the very best CB in the league in Darrelle Revis. This year they hired a new OC in ex Dolphin HC who is supposed to return the team to a ground & pound attack. The Bills need to stop the Jets run game and good things should follow.

The Jets fatal flaw could also be their O line, a different RT.

The Dolphins have an entirely new coaching staff, they lost DC Mike Nolan. Plus they are starting a rookie QB. They traded away their best WR in Brandon Marshall

The Dolphins entire team is a fatal flaw, I don't see them winning 4 games this season.

Remember that "if" for the Patriots, the Bills have a new and improved D line and perhaps now have one of the best pass rushes in the NFL this year. Who are opposing offensive lineman gonna double up on, Kyle Williams and Mario Williams? If they do that then Marcel Darius should kill them one on one. Do the Bills have the LBers to stop the run?

Will Dave Wannstedt, asst HC / Bills DC show he still knows how to build a great 3-4 defense, like he did when he was DC for the Bills hated rivals in the Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins.

The defense should be top 15 or better this year, possibly top 10. The O line has a new LT to shore up the line, the receiver corps has a new speedy WR. If the team can stay healthy and play like they did in the first half of last season, 5-2 after 7 games. I hope the players don't forget who beat them in week 9 last year, and who rubbed their noses in it after that 11-27 loss.

This could be the year....

Pats* 12-4

Bills 9-7

Jets 7-9

Dolphins 5-11

Pats* are the favorite in the division but they still have a ****ty D that isn't much improved from last season if improved at all and they now have a very unstable O-line which could expose that offense which had trouble when Brady was pressured.

Bills I think the offense will struggle at times due to the lack of a deep threat and Fitz at times not being the most careful of QB's in terms of turn overs. The Bills D will be top half of the league but we have young corners and not the best LB's so its not a rock solid unit but it will push for top 10 in the league. Special Teams also looks like it will be a top 10 unit. Overall I think 9-7 second place but I hope they prove me wrong.

Jets- Jets have the best D in the division no doubt, it will be a top 10 unit and could be a top 5 unit. But their offense is just a mess. Tebow will undermine Sanchez and won't be good enough to win as a QB. On top of that they have a shaky O-line, a very sub par reviving core, and not the best running backs. Their D can win them some games but 7-9 will be due to their offensive limitations.

Dolphins- The team is rebuilding. Their D has changed schemes and will take a step back, they have a rookie QB, and their offense surrounding their QB is mediocre. 5-11 seems like a good fit for them.