Defensive Power Rankings

When your offense is bottom of the barrel in converting 3rd downs and in going 3 and out, the defense is bound to be on the field longer. They likely will still be middle of the pack. Does not matter the Bills offense had lots of yards.

Pretty sure those stats came along with the IR#'s.

Pretty sure those stats came along with the IR#'s.

If you're going to say you must base the rankings on last seasons performance--which I think is unreasonable--then at least you should use the first 5 games or so as your basis for it, when Kyle and Merriman were playing, and the defense was forcing turnovers and ranked in the middle of the pack and not at the bottom. Because those are the players who are lining up for this defense right now when the rankings are being tabulated, not the back-ups that sucked when those two guys went down. And both Williams and Merriman are much healthier now than they were last year. The Bills defense completely changed when they went out.

17 is too low. I don't even have to look at the other teams. This one anyone can do blind. As has been said, it's a preseason power ranking. The whole point is: it's ALL on paper. For everybody.

If we want to haul out 12 years of history...then lets do that, and in doing so identify a pattern: Bill Belechik doesn't know how to maintain/draft a winning Defense.

What? :o Heresy! BS. That's a perfectly reasonable conclusion to draw...if we talk about history. Why are they not "sub-mediocre"...based on last year? Oh, they added some people? That makes them "young and interesting"? :lol: And not...inexperienced, unproven, and likely to bust(see their last 5 drafts....since we are talking about what we've "seen" recently)? Recent history of Pats drafting D....is the diametric opposite of an "upswing". :blink:

We added a few peple too. :lol: But...that's on paper and we are basing this on recent history, right? Well, then by that logic the Pats D is horrible and all their draft picks are already auto-busts.

I don't mind power rankings, but please, let's at least try to apply consistent thinnking when we are doing them.

Lets not forget we were one of the worst D's in the league last year. We are changing to a completely new scheme and have a bunch of new faces in the mix. I think 17 sounds about right all things considered. There likely will be growing pains. Its one thing to have great players at some poisitions.. its different to get a whole defense playing together.