What makes Stevie Johnson so good?

idc if he wants to celebrate, just do it on the sideline so you dont draw a flag

this is the season he needs to put it all together, be a leader, not hurt the team, and make the key plays that win games. if he wants to dance like the peter pan guy afterwards thats fine by me

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

idc if he wants to celebrate, just do it on the sideline so you dont draw a flag

this is the season he needs to put it all together, be a leader, not hurt the team, and make the key plays that win games. if he wants to dance like the peter pan guy afterwards thats fine by me

what peter pan guy? gotta link? ... really, just kidding everyone...

I hear that he runs routes well and he's slippery. Is that it? Honestly, when I first saw him I thought of that old coaches' saying, "he isn't very big but he IS slow"... Now, obviously he's come a long way since then. What makes this 'tweener' so capable of being our go to #1 guy? (besides the 35 mil)

"He's got the look". Seriously - he's got the eyes and the upper body that make DB think he's gonna shuck. Then he jives. If I recall, he played basketball in high school and was an all-conference selection. That's where you see moves like that, on the court.

I don't think it's an accident that Stevie's come into his own under Chan's "beat the man, run to the spot" offense. He's not a conventional route runner and would be busted in an O that expected it.

Outside his Plax celebration, he did nothing else that deserved a flag last year. If his Happy New Year shirt got him a flag, then his Why So Serious shirt should've been flagged as well. Typical NFL rules and its inconsistencies.

People need to stop saying that his celebrations hurt the team.

Enjoyed reading peoples takes on this. Agree completely with people who mentioned his ability beat press and unorthodox moves.... I'm honestly a bit stumped on this question and I think that what makes Stevie such a fun Bill to watch, they way he does in such an unconventional manner.

Here is my take but its really just guessing....

I think Stevie is a gamer and a competitor, in every sport you see guys whose production exceed their physical measurements... just like you also guys who under perform in relation to their physical ability. I think Stevie lines up against the other team, he has a belief in himself and as well as commitment to his team that he will be better than the guy in front of him that day. Its an abstract concept, but I believe some guys in sport just bring that extra 2 percent of effort and consistency to every play and I think Stevie is one of them.

A few other points;

you hear Stevie talk about basketball being his first sport and I think he incorporates a lot basketball moves in his route running e.g., hesitations, cross overs, the way he uses his hands well to gain leverage at the top of the route, and positions his body to shield the defender from the pass, I can see a bit of basketball moves in his game.....

Another thing I think Stevie does well is just an understanding of space and timing on the football field, he finds the open passing window and can vary his speed and route running to get open at the right time.

I hope he can catch a couple of those big ones this year. I wonder how it effects him curently.

youtube.com/watch?v=wEQCtTeEKdU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5E23F72CEDFBADB0

1:05 mark. BURNS REVIS...

Wrong video?

Edited by jboyst62

I hear that he runs routes well and he's slippery. Is that it? Honestly, when I first saw him I thought of that old coaches' saying, "he isn't very big but he IS slow"... Now, obviously he's come a long way since then. What makes this 'tweener' so capable of being our go to #1 guy? (besides the 35 mil)

Thanks for your post mr. Johnson, let me answer by saying, your not that good. Non-homers all agree you are at best, the 15th or so rated receiver in the NFL, again, at best. You are great-compared to other bills recievers currently on the roster. You were great-until big game moments where you single handedly lost two games for us with huge drops.(uncontested drops btw) So thanks for helping our draft position with those two losses,since we werent going anywhere those years anyway.

As far as "always" being this good, please dont always have stupid penalties just to showboat and gain recognition. For all the people saying this is "fitz's year" really its your year, your year to show us your a real man and not a boy with some skills and half a brain (lynch). I really am happy you got resigned (since youre all we have) but only if you show an improvement in concentration and behavior. I dont care that you can take a 5 yard slant for a hefty 9 yards. I want to see some deep balls that arent too hard for you to come up with as well as 0 penalties this year, got it?

And as for your resemblance to another player, I think you resemble some of the best #2's ive ever seen in the NFL. Really.

Edited by loserlovers

well mr Johnson, let me answer by saying, your not that good. Non-homers all agree you are at best, the 15th or so rated receiver in the NFL, again, at best. You are great-compared to other bills recievers currently on the roster. You were great-until big game moments where you single handedly lost two games for us with huge drops.(uncontested drops btw) So thanks for helping our draft position with those two losses,since we werent going anywhere those years anyway.

As far as "always" being this good, please dont always have stupid penalties just to showboat and gain recognition. For all the people saying this is "fitz's year" really its your year, your year to show us your a real man and not a boy with some skills and half a brain (lynch). I really am happy you got resigned (since youre all we have) but only if you show an improvement in concentration and behavior. I dont care that you can take a 5 yard slant for a hefty 9 yards. I want to see some deep balls that arent too hard for you to come up with as well as 0 penalties this year, got it?

And as for your resemblance to another player, I tink you resemble some of the best #2's ive ever seen in the NFL. really.

I am glad you spent 5 or 10 minutes writing that and I spent 5 seconds reading the first couple sentences before aborting it.

You are a pretty bad troll.

I am glad you spent 5 or 10 minutes writing that and I spent 5 seconds reading the first couple sentences before aborting it.

You are a pretty bad troll.

im not trolling just being honest, too many homers here want to hold his jock, if you actually read the post you see i like sj, just dont worship him and his antics, i guess you do though.

Outside his Plax celebration, he did nothing else that deserved a flag last year. If his Happy New Year shirt got him a flag, then his Why So Serious shirt should've been flagged as well. Typical NFL rules and its inconsistencies.

People need to stop saying that his celebrations hurt the team.

those flags were two years apart and i do believe they modified the rules after his first t shirt gimmick, and also why risk it after your boss tells you to stop doing stupid stuff in the end zone? He gets alot of money to help us win, not self promote.

He doesn't just run designated routes and wait for the ball to be delivered to him. He reads opposing CB's and has a knack for keeping himself between the defender and the ball. He's the only guy I've seen own Revis and on multiple occasions. People can say what they want about Stevie, but he's the only receiver in Bills history to have back to back 1,000 yards receiving. That's crazy considering what we had in the 90's (Reed, Beebe, Lofton).

hes also the only guy that was close to 1000 yards on the team, kellys wr's all had a ton of yards each, just not a 1000 but many times in the 8 and 900's. So let me ask you, why is consecutive 1000 such a big deal, moulds and reed had more than 2 1000 yard seasons each im pretty sure, what if stevie never has another? does he suck?

What if hed caught one less pass for 7 yards last year? he would have had 999, does that mean hed be nothing compared to Reed or moulds? How bout this, hes neither as fast or strong or sure handed as either Reed, Moulds or even Evans, no matter what you ever say this is a fact. If he has a few more strong seasons ill give you that he does more with less, but so far hes had two above average seasons, with very few big plays along the way- mostly a bunch of slants. (lots of big drops though)

Thanks for your post mr. Johnson, let me answer by saying, your not that good. Non-homers all agree you are at best, the 15th or so rated receiver in the NFL, again, at best. You are great-compared to other bills recievers currently on the roster. You were great-until big game moments where you single handedly lost two games for us with huge drops.(uncontested drops btw) So thanks for helping our draft position with those two losses,since we werent going anywhere those years anyway.

And as for your resemblance to another player, I think you resemble some of the best #2's ive ever seen in the NFL. Really.

I agree, let's cut him. He sucks. Then we'll have the money to sign real number one's Plax and Braylon. Or maybe TO. He'd never get a celebration penalty....

hes also the only guy that was close to 1000 yards on the team, kellys wr's all had a ton of yards each, just not a 1000 but many times in the 8 and 900's. So let me ask you, why is consecutive 1000 such a big deal, moulds and reed had more than 2 1000 yard seasons each im pretty sure, what if stevie never has another? does he suck?

What if hed caught one less pass for 7 yards last year? he would have had 999, does that mean hed be nothing compared to Reed or moulds? How bout this, hes neither as fast or strong or sure handed as either Reed, Moulds or even Evans, no matter what you ever say this is a fact. If he has a few more strong seasons ill give you that he does more with less, but so far hes had two above average seasons, with very few big plays along the way- mostly a bunch of slants. (lots of big drops though)

What if he has 1500 yds and 15 TDs next year? Does that mean he's awesome?

What if he has 2000 yds and 20 TDs next year? Does that mean he's the best?

What if he has 5 consecutive 1000yd seasons? Does that mean he's the best Bills WR of all time?

What if he catches a game winning SB catch? Does that make him one of the greatest?

What if he ends up with more career yds and TDs than Fitzgerald? Does that mean hes better?

I like this "WHAT IF" game.

jeesh, a simple, "yes, I AM drunk" would've sufficed...

What if he has 5 consecutive 1000yd seasons? Does that mean he's the best Bills WR of all time?

What if he catches a game winning SB catch? Does that make him one of the greatest?

What if he ends up with more career yds and TDs than Fitzgerald? Does that mean hes better?

What if loserlovers had a happy thought one time in his life?

Edited by biglukes

just what part isnt true then? to me 2 1000 yard seasons isnt really close to the 7 or so 900 yard seasons Moulds and Reed had. you homers are showing how emotional you really are. you have a topic saying SJ is so great, even though hes considered "above average" and the 15 or so Wr in the league by any expert. But you homers keep saying, "hes sooo good, he had 2 1000 yards seasons in a row mommy, IN A ROW!!" Again, did he not have penalties? big drops? is he fast? Is he sure handed? This is a great receiver? People like to think hes so great just because hes elusive, thats the word for him E-L-U-S-I-V-E. hes not big, fast or sure handed, hes elusive. If you want to say hes the greatest go ahead and buy his jersey and build a shrine in your house. He is good, not great, thats it.

just what part isnt true then? to me 2 1000 yard seasons isnt really close to the 7 or so 900 yard seasons Moulds and Reed had. you homers are showing how emotional you really are. you have a topic saying SJ is so great, even though hes considered "above average" and the 15 or so Wr in the league by any expert. But you homers keep saying, "hes sooo good, he had 2 1000 yards seasons in a row mommy, IN A ROW!!" Again, did he not have penalties? big drops? is he fast? Is he sure handed? This is a great receiver? People like to think hes so great just because hes elusive, thats the word for him E-L-U-S-I-V-E. hes not big, fast or sure handed, hes elusive. If you want to say hes the greatest go ahead and buy his jersey and build a shrine in your house. He is good, not great, thats it.

How many years has SJ been a starter?

How many years has SJ been a starter?

so whos fault is it he didnt show all his talents his first year? hes been here 4 years so its the Bills fault he didnt start? why do other rookies that are true talents produce and start in their first years? Bowe, desean, AJ green, not just Cjohnson, alot of rookies produce. either way, does his starting only two years mean he will grow taller or faster in the upcoming seasons?

so whos fault is it he didnt show all his talents his first year? hes been here 4 years so its the Bills fault he didnt start? why do other rookies that are true talents produce and start in their first years? Bowe, desean, AJ green, not just Cjohnson, alot of rookies produce. either way, does his starting only two years mean he will grow taller or faster in the upcoming seasons?

7th round talents usually have to work their way up. If you're expecting 7 years worth of production in two years of being a starter, then you're going to be disappointed.

Its also possible that his talents weren't as desired by the previous regime.

He's two years into his real career so far. No one here is suggesting he's the greatest Bills WR. But we are saying he's good *so far*. And *could* be great given *time* (which you seem unwilling to give him).

Edited by Dorkington