Floydfest

birdog1960

A friend had an extra room in a rented house for this and we're goin as of tonight. Can't miss for me include alison krauss, darrell scott and brandi carlisle. any can't misses i'm missing ? sorry, i know it's sacriledge here but i'm not a dawes fan.

oh god, where to begin....

Must See

Leftover Salmon - great bluegrass jam band, they can also be seen as the house band on Discovery Channels After the Catch(nice plug for my buddy Mark Fortgang who produces the show)

Michael Franti & Spearhead

Drive By Truckers, bring JW with you for that

Dawes - one of my current favorite bands

Gary Clark, Jr. - saw him do a short set last summer...really good!

David Wax Museum - have heard some very good things about these guys, haven't had the chance to see them yet

Steep Canyon Rangers (and hope Steve Martin makes an appearance)

Hoots & Helmouth - always a great show

Galactic with Corey Glover - anything with Corey Glover is pretty solid

Should See at least part of a set

everyone else!

check out the lineup of this festival i am going to/volunteering at next weekend

oh hell, add anders osborne into that list as well...

Edited by The Poojer

Pooj -- Wow. Great lineup. I think I'd rather see Patterson Hood and his band right now than DBT as he will have new material to play. Do yourself a favor and check out Good Old War. They are home grown Philly boys and put on a real good live show. Have fun.

Edited by BarkLessWagMore

won't let me look at the link at work, but i will when i get home.

i'm so excited about this cuz we weren't planning on going. kinda like found money. and the lineup looks really good. my wife is trying to swear me off it before we go but they have trapeze lessons at this event. gotta try that! i'm assuming they have a net.

if i may be so intrusive, why the dislike of dawes? i really enjoy that genre of roots/americana rock and roll...old 97's, dawes, lucero, dbt etc....i get that its not everyone's cup o' joe, just curious.

won't let me look at the link at work, but i will when i get home.

i'm so excited about this cuz we weren't planning on going. kinda like found money. and the lineup looks really good. my wife is trying to swear me off it before we go but they have trapeze lessons at this event. gotta try that! i'm assuming they have a net.

if i may be so intrusive, why the dislike of dawes? i really enjoy that genre of roots/americana rock and roll...old 97's, dawes, lucero, dbt etc....i get that its not everyone's cup o' joe, just curious.

they just didn't get me going when i saw them in bristol a couple years ago. they'd just gotten off a plane from europe so may have been jet lagged. i just wasn't into their sound. obviously it's a very subjective thing. heaven forbid, i felt the same way about the drive by truckers when i saw them...i'm into more melodic harmonies, i guess. don't go for dischordant stuff and there seems to be quite a bit of that in both groups music. i suspect the people we're going with will want to see bioth these bands so i'll be giving them another listen. their son is in a band that does similar stuff.

I'll add Anders Osborne and Yarn. If you get to see either of them while you're there let me know what you think.

i hope to see yarn. i really liked them when i saw the at bristol rhythm and roots a few years back. will try to see Anders Osborne too...so much music, so little time. I love these festivals with almost too much music.

i realized that my explanation of dbt and dawes didn't make much sense as melody and harmony or obviously to different things. i'm thinking better terms would be consonance and dissonance. i like consonant or more simply "smooth" sounding melodies over less subtle ones. to each his own....there's enough for everyone!

wow. ya gotta think we're living in a golden age of live music. interesting that there's some crossover to the two fests. some will be driving right down route 81, i suspect after the festival youre going to. have you seen the avett bros? on my most played on the ipod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FWRMjW8Uo

Pretty sure I saw Avett open up for Blues Traveler 6 years ago or so. Liked them a lot!

wow. ya gotta think we're living in a golden age of live music. interesting that there's some crossover to the two fests. some will be driving right down route 81, i suspect after the festival youre going to. have you seen the avett bros? on my most played on the ipod: youtube.com/watch?v=16FWRMjW8Uo

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Birddog....was Floydfest this weekend? I am eagerly anticipating your review...my Xponential Festival was OUT-fricking-STANDING...i almost went into music coma...but need to 'make room' for the Tallest Man on Earth this friday

Yo Birddog....was Floydfest this weekend? I am eagerly anticipating your review...my Xponential Festival was OUT-fricking-STANDING...i almost went into music coma...but need to 'make room' for the Tallest Man on Earth this friday

this weekend. will update next week.

what were the highlights of your festival? who blew your socks off?

Avett Brothers were unreal, JD McPherson really had the crowd going, Rhett Miller & the Serial Lady Killers, Kaki King, Counting Crows(naturally), Kathleen Edwards...so much good music...perfect weather, and I didn't get shot after dark in Camden!

a good review of the friday festivities

Day 2 review

this weekend. will update next week.

what were the highlights of your festival? who blew your socks off?

Edited by The Poojer

Avett Brothers were unreal, JD McPherson really had the crowd going, Rhett Miller & the Serial Lady Killers, Kaki King, Counting Crows(naturally), Kathleen Edwards...so much good music...perfect weather, and I didn't get shot after dark in Camden!

a good review of the friday festivities

Day 2 review

Yo Poojer!

you weren't in the beergarden overlooking the holler stage while Darrell Scott was playing today, were you? didn't think so, the guy I spoke with in the Bills shirt there seemed more interested in the starr hill pale ale than the music...but maybe that was you? didn't think so. anyway, a very good festival but very hot and not much shade to be found. consequently, i missed many of the bands i meant to see.

Steep Canyon rangers (without Steve Martin) were great. Bruce Hornsby invited Ricky Skaggs, his fiddler and guitarist on stage with him for 3 songs - awesome. possibly the best mandolin player alive on stage and they didn't plain "mandolin rain" - nevertheless, great. did a nice version of "the night they drove ole dixie down" without ricky...everybody in the crowd singing. then ricky and the kentucky thunder put on a great show of there own, right after. Yarn did a nice set and were scheduled to do a show for the hard core stragglers late tonite.

it's really a festival for campers. otherwise, you take buses to the venue which sits on a high ridge just off the blue ridge parkway. very cool but kind of a hassle if you're not into camping. but it was sold out today, so what do i know.

Edited by birdog1960