NE's Offense vs Buffalo's Defense

You are missing my point which is this Bills defense is NOT at all like the Giants defense that has caused Brady so much trouble of late. That Giants defense caused Brady trouble because, by scheme, they were unique enough to be able to lineup 4 DE at any and all DL spots - inside and out, on any down, for every series played in the game, which was so confusing that the Pats OL blocking calls collapsed which ultimately took away Brady's best skill, the ability to read a defense, pre snap, in order to identify the best matchup to take advantage of, and the Giants made them pay. This would be akin to asking Dareus and K Williams line-up as DE's with Anderson and M Williams lining up at inside at DT play in and play out. That's not going to happen with any regularity to cause recognition problems for Brady.

I am not saying the DL won't be able to get after Brady and cause him trouble. Many teams have DL capable of doing this and have done so in the past and caused Brady grief.

Could not agree more that there is nobody better than Brady at reading a defense pre and post snap. He is a master at taking what a defense gives him and then making it pay when they take that away.

But QBs don't read the down lineman. It doesn't matter to Brady what personnel we bring to the front seven. He's reading the safeties to determine types of coverages pre-snap. Post snap, he's reading the adjustments his receivers are making. Welker is one of the best at that. That's not to say he isn't alerting his lineman to things. He's just not reading keys off the Dline.

Disrupting Brady's timing is key to beating him. Getting in his face in a hurry does not play to his strengths one way or the other. He can beat you in a hurry, let alone when he has all day. But you have to get to Brady with pressure up the middle as quickly as possible. We have the personnel to do that now.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But QBs don't read the down lineman. It doesn't matter to Brady what personnel we bring to the front seven. He's reading the safeties to determine types of coverages pre-snap.

I agree. I pointed out above that the confusion caused the Pats OL blocking to collapse which didn't allow Brady's best skill (pre snap reads) to become a factor in the equation like it normally does.

Edited by Pneumonic

I agree. I pointed out above that the confusion caused the Pats OL blocking to collapse which didn't allow Brady's best skill (pre snap reads) to become a factor in the equation like it normally does.

The collapsed blocking is taking place post-snap and I don't think it's hurting his pre-snap reads at all, so I agree. All that pre-snap wizardry means squat when you have guys in your face disrupting your plans. It's all about having the personnel to disrupt those blocking schemes and the Bills have it now. Schemes are nice and all but it comes down to personnel; can you beat the guy in front of you and force the opponent to make adjustments. I submit the Bills have it and then some.

GO BILLS!!!

The collapsed blocking is taking place post-snap and I don't think it's hurting his pre-snap reads at all, so I agree. All that pre-snap wizardry means squat when you have guys in your face disrupting your plans. It's all about having the personnel to disrupt those blocking schemes and the Bills have it now. Schemes are nice and all but it comes down to personnel; can you beat the guy in front of you and force the opponent to make adjustments. I submit the Bills have it and then some.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe I picked the wrong word in collapse. Let me try again. The confusion due to the unusual schemes shown by the Giants DL lead to the wrong reads in the OL blocking assignments which negatively impacted the protection afforded to Brady.