Ryan Fitzpatrick / OC?

The likelihood of fitz getting a job in the nfl staight out of harvard and making 60 m/yr ('07&'06) or even his actual (aig ceo eqivalent) 10m/yr, is near zero. The odds of starting on an nfl team are nearer to zero than make $10m in business.

So in retrospect it worked out, a bunch of lucky breaks and outlasted lousy qb's on a struggling franchise to get his shot, but the outright dismissal of potential achievement and constant need to diminish ackolades just sounds like sour grapes or something....

Th last part you simply made up. Look, I'm not dismissing Fitz's "potential achievement". I've been a supporter of him since the first weekend practice in camp 2 years ago. I am dismissing the belief that a Harvard degree in economics is the key to success on "Wall Street". Even a guy as bright as Fitz would be a dime a dozen in the applicant pools of firms in that industry. Hundreds of top students from Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, etc. apply for entry level positions at financial houses, consulting firms and the like every year. Most won't be hired, those that are will be the first to be fired when disaster strikes. So repeating that Fitz could have made a ton of money on Wall Street because he has a Harvard degree is nonsense--it's a Hollywood cliche.

Look, he was at the end of his college career athletically and academically and he had a choice..."Wall Street" or enter the draft. He chose to enter the draft and was drafted. He knew if he caught on in the league (admittedly a long shot), he would be much better off finaciancially and with much more career satisfaction.

And your claim of "sour grapes" because I disagree with your argument is weak. For the record, I could not be more satisfied with my career choice and where it has gotten me. It's a great job that I enjoy and it takes care of my family finacially. And all without a Harvard economics degree!

Th last part you simply made up. Look, I'm not dismissing Fitz's "potential achievement". I've been a supporter of him since the first weekend practice in camp 2 years ago. I am dismissing the belief that a Harvard degree in economics is the key to success on "Wall Street". Even a guy as bright as Fitz would be a dime a dozen in the applicant pools of firms in that industry. Hundreds of top students from Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, etc. apply for entry level positions at financial houses, consulting firms and the like every year. Most won't be hired, those that are will be the first to be fired when disaster strikes. So repeating that Fitz could have made a ton of money on Wall Street because he has a Harvard degree is nonsense--it's a Hollywood cliche.

Look, he was at the end of his college career athletically and academically and he had a choice..."Wall Street" or enter the draft. He chose to enter the draft and was drafted. He knew if he caught on in the league (admittedly a long shot), he would be much better off finaciancially and with much more career satisfaction.

And your claim of "sour grapes" because I disagree with your argument is weak. For the record, I could not be more satisfied with my career choice and where it has gotten me. It's a great job that I enjoy and it takes care of my family finacially. And all without a Harvard economics degree!

The fabrication is claiming Harv Econ is the key to success was asserted anywhere. I didn't see it. What is true is It certainly gets your foot in the door places where the local state college degree won't and after you are in, it is what you make it. I know people thriving in that world. Pedigree is a barrier to enrty and if you work you tail off, have some brains, the earring potential is every bit as lucrative as the nfl is and from a probability standpoint much more likely. Folks that can't see that just don't understand, commend, embrace or appreciate opportunity- or admire that of others. There might be another reason for refusal to accept this reality aside from the sour grapes thing. I just couldnt think of any other salient reason.

Not discrediting the "achievement" of his degree (although it is often said it is much harder to get into Harvard than it is to graduate from Harvard with honors). But there are a tiny number of CEOs who will earn 60 million a year in a bonus--that's just ridiculous, and beside the point. An MBA is still somewhat of a ticket to the highest paying jobs on the street. Without one form a top school (that's where the connections are made), an economics degree just won't get you anything but an entry level job (maybe) at a top financial institution. In fact, those are the guys who get laid off first by the thousands.

Put another way, the likelihood of Fitz "getting a job on Wall Street" straight out of HArvard and ever making 60 million over a career is nearly zero. He made a much better choice.

Good points all...Also, no way he would want one, even if he was offered a good position. He already will make more money as a player, and potentially an analyst, coach, etc. Then he ever would on the street. Plus, a lot less headache and stress (sans coaching potentially), less b.s and ass kissing to put up with etc. Would be very surprised to see that. Maybe he'll be a spokesman for a Wall Street firm as "Former 3 Time Super Bowl Champion Quarter back of the Buffalo Bills" :D:thumbsup:

The fabrication is claiming Harv Econ is the key to success was asserted anywhere. I didn't see it. What is true is It certainly gets your foot in the door places where the local state college degree won't and after you are in, it is what you make it. I know people thriving in that world. Pedigree is a barrier to enrty and if you work you tail off, have some brains, the earring potential is every bit as lucrative as the nfl is and from a probability standpoint much more likely. Folks that can't see that just don't understand, commend, embrace or appreciate opportunity- or admire that of others. There might be another reason for refusal to accept this reality aside from the sour grapes thing. I just couldnt think of any other salient reason.

No offense, but as a guy who has worked for major wall street firms and still remains in the field. Fitz will make A LOT more money in the NFL if his contract is completed than he would have on Wall Street....Almost without exception.

The overwhelming majority of multi-millionaires acquire their wealth as business owners, not as wall street CEO's. Of course there are exceptions to every profession. But the chances of Fitzpatrick becoming a CEO for a Wall Street firm is about as likely as well...him becoming a multi-millionaire quarterback in the NFL! Not impossible, but highly improbable. Also, you would need to be a CEO of the highest order to warrant that kind of payday. No other position, sans owning a firm would bring in that type of money.

Edited by tonyd19

Plenty here have said that Fitz could have gone to wall street and made a ton of money. That's what I am refuting. This has nothing to do with not commending hard work. I am familiar with hard work and seen the effects of it in many in my field, most of whom did not go to Ivy League schools. You're barking up the wrong tree or enjoy arguing with straw men.

The "reality" is that an undergraduate Ivy league degree in these times will not get you far of even entry into the investment banking or consultant fields on the Stree--and these are the only jobs that, in general, will offer anything close to what Fitz might make in the NFL (no matter if you work your tail off). An MBA is typically the entry level requirement and even those jobs have been slashed by over 10,000 in the past 5 years.