Hey you techies out there

I was looking at buying a new laptop, and I was skimming through the Dell site.

Question 1: RAM

The choices available are:

256MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

512MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

768MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

1GB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

1.5GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

2GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

What do DDR, SDRAM and Dimm mean and how do they apply to the computer's operation? (All I know is that my previous laptop had 512 RAM and ran fine).

Question 2: CD/DVD burner

What does "double-layer write capability" mean and is it worth shelling out an extra $125?

I was looking at buying a new laptop, and I was skimming through the Dell site.

Question 1: RAM

The choices available are:

256MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm 

512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

512MB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

768MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

1GB DDR SDRAM 1 Dimm

1.5GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

2GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms

What do DDR, SDRAM and Dimm mean and how do they apply to the computer's operation? (All I know is that my previous laptop had 512 RAM and ran fine).

What does "double-layer write capability" mean and is it worth shelling out an extra $125?

184957[/snapback]

Here's some memory info:

http://www.kingston.com/tools/umg/default.asp

184957[/snapback]

If you are Tracylees son, then get dual layer. This way you can copy an entire DVD to one disk rather than two. The customer that you sell the illegally burned copies will appreciate not having to change disks in mid stream.

When it comes to purchasing RAM the more the better, however unless you are doing alot of Video Gaming, Movie and / or Photo editing you can get away with 512MB comfortably.

Most of todays intensive software recommends a minimum of 128MB, Encyclopedia Britanica software, which uses alot of pictures, and movies, suggests a minimum of 256MB.

DDR = Double Data Rate

SDRAM = Synchronized Direct Memory Access

Short for Double Data Rate-Synchronous DRAM, a type of SDRAM that supports data transfers on both edges of each clock cycle (the rising and falling edges), effectively doubling the memory chip's data throughput. DDR-SDRAM also consumes less power, which makes it well-suited to notebook computers. DDR-SDRAM is also called SDRAM II. and DDRAM.

DIMM = dual in-line memory module

Short for dual in-line memory module, a small circuit board that holds memory chips. A single in-line memory module (SIMM) has a 32-bit path to the memory chips whereas a DIMM has 64-bit path. Because the Pentium processor requires a 64-bit path to memory, you need to install SIMMs two at a time. With DIMMs, you can install memory one DIMM at a time.

Double Layer write capability is the next wave of DVD and CD burners. It allows for information to be writeen on 2 layers of a Disc. This also requires specially purchased Disc for recording to mulitple layers. At this time I would say the double layer write capabilities is not that important.

If you get 1 DIMM, that means you'll be able to expand your memory later. So if you get 1 512M DIMM, you'll have 512M of memory, but can add another 512M later if you need it. That's the route I'd recommend, although 512M will probably be enough for you.

The dual-layer DVD burner lets you burn roughly 8.4 gigs of data on one DVD (as opposed to 4.2G for single-layer disks). The media is still currently too expensive, but should be reasonably priced in the nexts 6 months. Is it worth the extra money? Only you can decide that. Keep in mind that you can get dual-layer burners for desktops for much cheaper -- roughly $60. Throw in a USB enclosure, and you could have a portable burner that you plug into your laptop if you need it, but you can also share with other PCs that you may have in your house. Something to think about.

CW

If you are Tracylees son, then get dual layer.  This way you can copy an entire DVD to one disk rather than two.  The customer that you sell the illegally burned copies will appreciate not having to change disks in mid stream.

184997[/snapback]

Good point. She and her son could make a killing in Kuwait.

Good point.  She and her son could make a killing in Kuwait.

185022[/snapback]

There are other, legit reasons to want a dual-layer burner. For example, I've done some wedding videos that I'd love to pump up the bitrate on (or add more features to), but when you only have 4.2G to work with you have to make compromises. The same would hold true for any home videos you might make.

CW

It's tough to archive home videos on DVD when you can barely get an hour on a standard disc -- although I thought they were 4.7 GBs.

You sacrifice a bit of quality or shelf space once you start doing a few.

It's tough to archive home videos on DVD when you can barely get an hour on a standard disc -- although I thought they were 4.7 GBs.

You sacrifice a bit of quality or shelf space once you start doing a few.

185238[/snapback]

They're 4.7G native, but after formatting are more like 4.4G. If you fill above 4.2G, some DVD players have problems reading it (don't ask me why).

CW

Yeah, save questions like that for Dexter.  That's how he has his fun.  Time to resurrect the "microwaved vs stove topped soup" thread.

185671[/snapback]

I must've missed that one... For some reaosn, I'm thankful.

CW